PDA

View Full Version : VOIP Phones

_simon_
December 27th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I was in town today as the car was in the garage so I had a wander around PC World to kill time. I noticed a lot of VOIP phones, some stating totally free calls... the only catch is that it uses Windows Messenger Live.

Does anyone know of a linux compatible VOIP phone that offers totally free calls?

Does the one advertising free calls through Messenger really only work through messenger as the blurb on the box stated or would it work through GAIM or aMSN??

sgbeamer
December 27th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I put my mom on Linux about 6 months ago and tried one of the advertised Skype USB phones that supports linux. It mostly worked but would not dial (had to use the keyboard) and it would crash if you hung up first - had to let the person you called hang up. It was similar to this one http://www.echostore.com/skype-flash-phone.html. Mom could not handle it and ended up replacing it with a USB headset.

codypumper
December 27th, 2006, 06:40 PM
You could find a headset and use it with Gizmo. Gizmo calls are free as long as the person your calling is registered, and their account has their phone number.