PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu lanuage learning tools

brian873
December 27th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Hi

Our work has refreshed our desktops and have given our old ones to a school. One of the lanuage teachers has asked if there is any lanuage learning tools that could be used to help students learn French or Spanish ?

I have seen this type of sofware a long time ago but does anyone know or recommend any of these tools ?

thanks

UbuWu
December 27th, 2006, 11:41 PM
For spanish:
KVerbos (http://www.arvik.de/computer/kverbos/ekverbos.htm)

Freespeak and gnome translate can be used for translations.

dbbolton
December 28th, 2006, 01:56 AM
french : Verbiste

mostwanted
December 28th, 2006, 02:18 AM
This is available as a Java applet online or alternatively as a downloadable EXE (can be run with WINE):

http://www.wartoft.nu/software/selingua-java/

brian873
December 29th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys i will take a look at them !

have a good new year

:)

alexmoon
January 11th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Did you find anything? I'm looking for something similar myself, and would vastly prefer something I can download and use from my computer rather than using while connected. I'd really like to learn Spanish or Greek, and I'd love it if it was an Ubuntu-ish program. [Please excuse my vague "Ubuntu-ish" adjective - new to this, and still trying to work out what it is that I love so much about it, exactly.]

Great idea, by the way, to give computers away to a school (although in Australia it seems like even the schools are having a hard time finding someone to give their old computers to). Even better if they come equipped with Ubuntu!

brian873
January 12th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Hi, no I never came across anything that would suit. Most of the software I looked at were basic translation and dictionary tools.

I would really have liked an educational type game/quizz but so far no luck.

Post back if you find anything.

hail hail

alexmoon
September 30th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I've been using KVoctrain. There are some dictionaries already there, but there doesn't seem to be one for Greek, which I am learning. After each lesson, I just enter all the new words I've learnt into it.