PDA

View Full Version : Thats it! I'm done! :(

Stew2
December 27th, 2006, 03:38 AM
With Firefox 2 for now that is! Buggy, buggy, buggy. I kinda wish I hadn't switched all the computers over to it now. It just seems to randomly jump all over. I click the back button once and it might jump back 2 or 3 pages. Seems to randomly crash quite a bit as well, good thing it has the recovery feature! Very hard to navigate like that! I am going to try Opera for a while. Seems quite nice so far but I have to get used to the different layout plus I lost my Ubuntu toolbar extension. Bummer. :D Ah, it was time to try something new anyway :D . Anybody here a big Opera fan?

Regards,
Stew2

mand0
December 27th, 2006, 03:42 AM
I tried it for a while at work and at home... Eventually went back to Firefox.

Stew2
December 27th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Maybe I should just revert back to 1.5. I will give Opera a little shot for now :)

Regards,
Stew2

Sef
December 27th, 2006, 03:50 AM
I will give Opera a little shot for now

I like Opera and do use it some. Epiphany is my first browser, but it is a bit buggy, mostly clicking on a link and it jumps to the top of the same page.

The Opera site picked up I was on Edgy. Downloaded it and clicked on it, and Gdebi installed it with a minor problem, but once I removed my current version of Opera, all went fine.

Note: I removed my current version of Opera this way:

sudo aptitude remove opera

I had installed that through Gdebi as well, if i remember correctly.

ComplexNumber
December 27th, 2006, 03:50 AM
whenever i see these "i'm done" "thats it, i've had enough", "i can't take any more" threads, i quite naturally think that its about ubuntu because a) it seems to be commonplace compared to other distros, and b) its quite understandable, from my experience. similarly to microsoft with their buggy OS, canonical stands most to gain by making a buggy OS in the area of support. i wonder why i favour fedora.
if ubuntu didn't have a good forum, ubnutu wouldn't have anything to offer.

on topic, i don't think i would trade in firefox for opera. FF has too much to offer in the way of the plugins and its integration in gnome for me to think otherwise.

spockrock
December 27th, 2006, 03:51 AM
sorry to hear your ff2 woes....

riven0
December 27th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Opera is great. Lightweight, fast with a bunch of extensions built in. I would use it as my primary browser if it was compatible with my college's website.

taurus
December 27th, 2006, 04:01 AM
With Firefox 2 for now that is! Buggy, buggy, buggy. I kinda wish I hadn't switched all the computers over to it now. It just seems to randomly jump all over. I click the back button once and it might jump back 2 or 3 pages. Seems to randomly crash quite a bit as well, good thing it has the recovery feature! Very hard to navigate like that! I am going to try Opera for a while. Seems quite nice so far but I have to get used to the different layout plus I lost my Ubuntu toolbar extension. Bummer. :D Ah, it was time to try something new anyway :D . Anybody here a big Opera fan?

Regards,
Stew2
Any chance because you are running XGL/beryl!!!

Somenoob
December 27th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Been using Opera for years i find it to be quite good it's customisable, fast and stable and lot's of luxury features. Firefox is also fine, too bad it's current version is too bugy.

darkhatter
December 27th, 2006, 04:29 AM
I've noticed that too firefox 2 in edgy is super buggy, but when I used firefox in windows its like its a completely different browser. what have they done ](*,)

Stew2
December 27th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Any chance because you are running XGL/beryl!!!

No XGL/beryl here :D , that gave me grief before :D .

Regards,
Stew2

~LoKe
December 27th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Firefox2.0 ran fine for me on Edgy/Feisty with AIGLX/Beryl as well.

BarfBag
December 27th, 2006, 04:38 AM
I love Opera. Doesn't support my favorite plug-ins, though. That's why I use Firefox. 2.0 has never given me a problem. Actually, it's the most stable Firefox I've ever used.

Stew2
December 27th, 2006, 04:50 AM
The Opera seems really nice, but I have been using Firefox for years and the Opera layout seems very "unfamiliar" to me. Seems very nice and stable though :).

towsonu2003
December 27th, 2006, 05:00 AM
if you provide bug reports, it might help Ubuntu's devels to make it better.

As per Opera, note that it's free but closed-source software.

See this before filing a bug to firefox:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingFirefox (it's a little messed up, oriented towards both the bug triagers and the users)

File bug here (direct link to file a firefox bug at launchpad.net) (https://bugs.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+filebug).

PS. I'm not happy with Fx myself... It hangs on me but I couldn't diagnose the problem... Filed a bug (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=328319) but I don't think it will be resolved... Mine is a self-installed Fx, didn't come with Ubuntu

RAV TUX
December 27th, 2006, 05:17 AM
I have to admit that ff2 does periodically crash for me too...in Sabayon,...with or without beryl.....seems stable in windows at work....

mdsmedia
December 27th, 2006, 05:23 AM
whenever i see these "i'm done" "thats it, i've had enough", "i can't take any more" threads, i quite naturally think that its about ubuntu because a) it seems to be commonplace compared to other distros, and b) its quite understandable, from my experience. similarly to microsoft with their buggy OS, canonical stands most to gain by making a buggy OS in the area of support. i wonder why i favour fedora.
if ubuntu didn't have a good forum, ubnutu wouldn't have anything to offer.

on topic, i don't think i would trade in firefox for opera. FF has too much to offer in the way of the plugins and its integration in gnome for me to think otherwise. Yeah, I wonder why you favour fedora too.

I'm surprised to see such a heat seeking comment as this from someone like you.

Ubuntu is my first serious Linux distro and I have found NO reason to use Fedora or any other distro.

As for Firefox and Opera, I tried Opera a few months ago and it crashed on me, so I went back to Firefox and I don't have any serious problems with it. I won't say I don't have any problems with Firefox, and 1.5.x is still the stable version, so why would you expect 2.x not to cause problems?

fuscia
December 27th, 2006, 05:39 AM
i had the same problem with firefox on edgy. i switched to swiftfox which took care of all that crap.

towsonu2003
December 27th, 2006, 08:25 AM
1.5.x is still the stable version, so why would you expect 2.x not to cause problems?

Sorry to interrupt with off-topic, but it is the obsolete-to-be version. both 1.5 and 2 are stable releases. 1.5 will be obsolete on April.

macogw
December 27th, 2006, 09:19 AM
That's weird. FF2 has been perfectly stable for me. FF 1.5 would crash and freeze ALL THE TIME (multiple times a day). FF2 hasn't done that at all (switched the day Edgy was released). I'm using Beryl and haven't added any memory, so FF2 has even less memory available to it than 1.5 did, yet 1.5 was the crashy one.

macogw
December 27th, 2006, 09:22 AM
No XGL/beryl here :D , that gave me grief before :D .

Regards,
Stew2

I tried xgl/compiz on Dapper. Failed miserably. Have you tried it on Edgy? It has AiGLX support built-in which makes it much easier than trying to install xgl on Dapper.

nsleiman
December 27th, 2006, 09:57 AM
actually i enjoy FF2, never crashed till now, i got surprised reading you all talking about crashes, bugs ... maybe i have the golden edition :)

Stew2
December 27th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Hmm, I think I might give Swiftfox a shot. Opera is very nice but I am so used to Firefox and not having to think about which buttons do what, plus I miss some of my extensions :) . Also could one of the mods please change the thread title to something like "Firefox 2 is buggy" or something? I just meant to elicit some conversation but I now realize that the thread title is too provacative. I tried to do it myself but it didn't work :confused: .
Thanks guys!

Regards,
Stew2

DJ_Peng
December 27th, 2006, 12:11 PM
actually i enjoy FF2, never crashed till now, i got surprised reading you all talking about crashes, bugs ... maybe i have the golden edition :)
Did yo get your Fx2 from Ubuntu or Mozilla? I got it directly from Mozilla since I wanted to get nightly updates (yes, I've been a Firefox tester since before 1.5 came out) and I haven't had a lick of problems in Firefox. In fact right now I'm running
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2pre) Gecko/20061225 BonEcho/2.0.0.2pre I must say I'm kind of dumsquizzled with some of these fatal problems I've seen with Firefox 2, although it wouldn't surprise me to learn it's due to Ubuntu's futzing with the code. All I know if that enough didn't work the way I expected it to when I first installed Edgy and went back to getting my builds straight from Mozilla. I haven't been sorry yet, and that's with running many nightly builds.

patrick295767
December 27th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Regards,
Stew2

Try automatix to install requirements for Firefox : java ....

(Try Debian, and you will see what is stability & stopping loosing time)

xpod
December 27th, 2006, 12:51 PM
No probs with FF2 for me either,in dapper or edgy...with or without beryl.

My kids prefer to use epiphany on the older xubuntu pc their using and it`s great too.
Cant say i`ve ever had any probs with any browser.......yet(touch wood)

Tried Swiftfox and opera too on this pc just to try them out but still ended up back with FF.

patrick295767
December 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I like Opera and do use it some. Epiphany is my first browser, but it is a bit buggy, mostly clicking on a link and it jumps to the top of the same page.

The Opera site picked up I was on Edgy. Downloaded it and clicked on it, and Gdebi installed it with a minor problem, but once I removed my current version of Opera, all went fine.

Shouldnt he get his problem solved with firefox ?

That 's not the way to solve problems ... what a politic ... alternative programs ?

xpod
December 27th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Shouldnt he get his problem solved with firefox ?

That 's not the way to solve problems ... what a politic ... alternative programs ?

Thank god i came looking for an "alternate program" when i got fed up fixing the problems with that windows program:rolleyes:

Polygon
December 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM
luckily, ff2 in dapper is as stable as can be. The only errors /crashes i get seem to be caused by the flash plugin, which is obviously out of our control.

OldTimeTech
December 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM
When I upgraded to Edgy, I upgraded firefox to 2. Have never had a crash (blessing myself)!