PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft DOMINATES Mice & Keyboards!

BarfBag
December 27th, 2006, 12:13 AM
As much as I hate Microsoft, they totally dominate with their mice and keyboards! My parents got me their latest set for Christmas.

Let me start out by describing the mouse. What makes it great is that it doesn't try too hard to fit your hand (like the Logitechs). The thing glides across the screen. It's not too sensitive by default, but sensitive enough where first-person shooters are extremely accurate. You can, of course, turn the sensitivity up to an extreme level. Personally, I can't stand extremely sensitive mouse settings, but it's there for whoever wants it. The scroll wheel is nice too. Moves nice and smooth and made out of comfortable material. It can also scroll sideways. My only complaint is lack of side buttons.

Now for the keyboard. At first, I didn't know what to think of it. It's one of the ones that have the keys divided in half, and have each half angled to fit each hand. It felt a little weird at first, but it's extremely comfortable. The angles feel very natural and the keys feel nice when you push them. I'm still getting used to it (still have to look when I type), but it's so cozy, I don't care. I have a few complaints on this one, though. One is the almost too small enter and shift buttons. I keep missing them and hitting plastic! It's kinda weird. Looking down at the thing it looks like they did it on purpose. Some of the keys are bigger then usual on the two rows that enter and shift are on. There has to be a reason for this, but I have yet to find one. Another complaint I have is how awkward it feels to play a game. While the mouse is simply amazing in games, the keyboard seems like it was made more for people who do nothing but type. Since the keys are angled, it's a little uncomfortable to steer with the classic W, A, and D keys. The space bar (which is usually jump) is a little uncomfortable in games as well. I'm sure I'll get used to these things in time. Like I said, this thing is a pleasure to type on.

I found it kind of hilarious that these worked out of the box in Ubuntu (even most of the function keys), but required drivers to work in Windows.

Late Merry Christmas!

spockrock
December 27th, 2006, 12:16 AM
glad you like your new keyboard and mouse.

ixus_123
December 27th, 2006, 12:25 AM
I'm quite fond of my Apple keyboard. It looks nice, is well made & was cheap!

Microsoft do make some good stuff though. still have an old MS clickty-click keyboard that, although noisy, feels so much better than the membrane types.

I'm not a MS fan either but credit where it's due

bastiegast
December 27th, 2006, 12:27 AM
When I read the title I thought this was going to be something like: Lets start the open source mouse and keyboard! Lets free the mice and keyboard world from ms domination join the free technology movement etc. :twisted:

spockrock
December 27th, 2006, 12:28 AM
I myself love logitech keyboards and mice.....

~LoKe
December 27th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I've got the Logitech MX518 and the Logitech Media Keyboard. I have no complaints.

profshiny
December 27th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Though I haven't used one recently, I'm quite fond of the old IBM tactile-feedback keyboards that I kept from some dead PS/2s for many years.

Though it occurs to me now that I've posted, this has precious little to do with the original poster's intent.

delfick
December 27th, 2006, 12:38 AM
i must confess, i have a microsoft keyboard and mouse...and i love them :D

i have the Microsoft Wireless Optical desktop elite http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=016

it has really nice, semi-transparent keys on the keyboard, it's big, and i like that, easier to type with, it has a nice palm rest type cushioning thing on the bottom there :D

the mouse is fantastic, though the smooth scrollwheel is hard to use in games, because it scrolls through the weopons so quickly :P

one problem i have with the keyboard though is that the scroll wheel on it doesn't work in linux :(....neither does the favourite keys....

When I read the title I thought this was going to be something like: Lets start the open source mouse and keyboard! Lets free the mice and keyboard world from ms domination join the free technology movement etc. :twisted:

LOL !!!

Lord Illidan
December 27th, 2006, 12:38 AM
I found it kind of hilarious that these worked out of the box in Ubuntu (even most of the function keys), but required drivers to work in Windows.

They needed drivers in Ubuntu too, my friend. The thing is that Ubuntu packages them with the distro, whereas XP, being quite old, older than the hardware itself, cannot.

Bezmotivnik
December 27th, 2006, 12:42 AM
I'm using a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard at the moment and have to say that's it's pretty unimpressive. The keys bind up, etc. Maybe it needs more break-in, I dunno. I was kind of surprised.

BarfBag
December 27th, 2006, 12:45 AM
They needed drivers in Ubuntu too, my friend. The thing is that Ubuntu packages them with the distro, whereas XP, being quite old, older than the hardware itself, cannot.

Yes, yes. I know how it works.

I should probably change my signature. It's been the same since I created this account, and I'm not as much as a fan boy now-a-days. I give credit where it's deserved.

RAV TUX
December 27th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I only use Razer (http://www.razerzone.com/) products....I use the Razer Copperhead mouse (http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Mice/Razer-Copperhead-Gaming-Mouse/) and I plan to buy the new Razer Tarantula keyboard. (http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Keyboard/Razer-Tarantula-Gaming-Keyboard/)

Believe me once you go Razer (http://www.razerzone.com/) you will never go back, to logitech or microsoft products again.

I even use the Razer eXactMat Bundle Pak (eXactMat + eXactRest). (http://www.razerzone.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3)

What can I say I am hooked to quality.;)

[/URL][URL="http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Mice/Razer-Copperhead-Gaming-Mouse/"] (http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Keyboard/Razer-Tarantula-Gaming-Keyboard/)

mdsmedia
December 27th, 2006, 01:49 AM
I've got a MS mouse plugged into my notebook, but being a notebook I'm not sure what the keyboard is.

My cordless mouse.....not in use at the moment because it uses AA batteries and I have to take the batteries out to switch it off, and often I have to re-initiate it when I restart the computer .... is Logitech and I quite like it, but the side buttons can be annoying at times. I guess you get used to it.

I mentioned my MS mouse while I was in the electronics/computer store buying a headset, talking to the "tech" there about using Linux and having a MS mouse plugged in and he laughed that it was like sticking it up Bill Gates' a**. I hadn't even considered that, but merely found it funny that I had a Linux OS, OpenOffice, and MS mouse ;)

Given a choice, I won't buy MS hardware, but I won't avoid it like their software.

StarsAndBars14
December 27th, 2006, 02:27 AM
I'd have to say that for the moment, this is true. We don't see any keyboards with a "Tux key" on them instead of a "Windows key". . .why? Because no makers or supporters of Linux (up to and including HP/IBM) have seen fit to distribute specific hardware for it.

I'm not a great big fan of Microsoft keyboards, the last one I had was an IntelliPoint wireless which screwed me over on the CD software. The license agreement sounded like it came straight out of the Trusted Computing playbook and something of their software installed on my computer anyway - even after I declined the install. My computer rebooted right after. To this date I'm not sure what was snuck in there.

Now I use a Compaq SK-2860 - without specialized drivers - which XP does a HORRIBLE job of detecting. Every individual login I have to take the keyboard, unplug it, then plug it back in so Windows picks it up. Never had one problem with it on *nix, though, and that's the way I like it.

Maybe they have a leg up when it comes to hardware, but for its interaction with software and user friendliness I'd say Linux still comes out on top.

po0f
December 27th, 2006, 03:35 AM
I used to love Microsoft mice until I got my Logitech MX Revolution a couple of days ago. Coupled with the G15 keyboard I got on Christmas, I couldn't be happier. :) (I have never used a Microsoft keyboard, just Logitech for me.)

Virogenesis
December 27th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I'd have to say that for the moment, this is true. We don't see any keyboards with a "Tux key" on them instead of a "Windows key". . .why? Because no makers or supporters of Linux (up to and including HP/IBM) have seen fit to distribute specific hardware for it.

I'm not a great big fan of Microsoft keyboards, the last one I had was an IntelliPoint wireless which screwed me over on the CD software. The license agreement sounded like it came straight out of the Trusted Computing playbook and something of their software installed on my computer anyway - even after I declined the install. My computer rebooted right after. To this date I'm not sure what was snuck in there.

Now I use a Compaq SK-2860 - without specialized drivers - which XP does a HORRIBLE job of detecting. Every individual login I have to take the keyboard, unplug it, then plug it back in so Windows picks it up. Never had one problem with it on *nix, though, and that's the way I like it.

Maybe they have a leg up when it comes to hardware, but for its interaction with software and user friendliness I'd say Linux still comes out on top.

heres a tux keyboard. http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/cymotion-line/popup_layout_cymotion_master_linux.htm

OffHand
December 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Am I the only one who is still using a cheap 10 year old keyboard?

BWF89
December 27th, 2006, 03:52 PM
A couple years ago when we were looking for a new keyboard and mouse we almost got the Microsoft brand one but decided not to for a a couple of reasons.

- I didn't like how the scroll wheel went sideways
- I didn't like that the scroll wheel moved smoothly instead of clicking every time you moved it.
- The side buttons were too close to eachother.

We bought a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo instead.

maxamillion
December 27th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I use microsoft keyboard and mouse at work just because that's what they give me (but rest assure I argued with my boss until he allowed me to atleast dual boot my workstation) and they are nice but I don't really think they are anything special. I prefer logitech to be honest but then again, its just a mouse and keyboard .... two things that I don't generally get all excited about these days.

rand76
April 18th, 2007, 03:56 AM
I only use Razer (http://www.razerzone.com/) products....I use the Razer Copperhead mouse (http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Mice/Razer-Copperhead-Gaming-Mouse/) and I plan to buy the new Razer Tarantula keyboard. (http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Keyboard/Razer-Tarantula-Gaming-Keyboard/)

Believe me once you go Razer (http://www.razerzone.com/) you will never go back, to logitech or microsoft products again.

I even use the Razer eXactMat Bundle Pak (eXactMat + eXactRest). (http://www.razerzone.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3)

What can I say I am hooked to quality.;)

[/URL][URL="http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Mice/Razer-Copperhead-Gaming-Mouse/"] (http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Keyboard/Razer-Tarantula-Gaming-Keyboard/)

I'm using the same setup. I've been exclusively Razer ever since the Boomslang2k. (the good ol' days) I have the Tarantula already and I have to say that it's one of the more solid feeling keyboards I've had in some time. The keys have a nice short travel, a soft touch but not too mushy. It's just more comfortable to type on for an extended period of time. I have minor RSI in my right wrist and it hasn't really bothered me since I started using the Tarantula.

I love how good the software support is for the Copperhead. The latest utility lets you set all the profiles to the synapse memory onboard. Just wish there was that good of support for the Tarantula already. It's new though, I'm sure before long there will be a sweet utility for that as well.

Razer FTW!

Compucore
April 18th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Call me an old folgy. I preferred my original Keyboard that I had gotten for my XT. Where it really sounded mechanocal when you type. But not like the mechanical typewriter where you almost used a sledge hammer to depressed the keys for my workstations. And it was during the early 90's. Never could find a good keyboard ever since.

Compucore

igknighted
April 18th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Having used a MS mouse and keyboard for a long time, they were nothing but trouble to me (on an MS OS no less). However for the past few years I have had a Logitech Cordless Desktop Optical and it has been AMAZING. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Quillz
April 18th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Microsoft does make good hardware. I've been using the Sidewinder joystick for years now. I must have bought it back when Win98 was new.

macogw
April 18th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Though I haven't used one recently, I'm quite fond of the old IBM tactile-feedback keyboards that I kept from some dead PS/2s for many years.

Though it occurs to me now that I've posted, this has precious little to do with the original poster's intent.

Agreed. In the wireless keyboard range though, Microsoft had the least-annoying of the rubber dome keyboards when I went wireless shopping.

Ozor Mox
April 18th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Am I the only one who is still using a cheap 10 year old keyboard?

You are not the only one! I once tried a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse and, although I thought the hardware itself was nice, the reliability of the bluetooth connection was so bad I sent it back. Now I just use a standard Dell keyboard that came with my desktop PC, and a cheap optical mouse. I don't need anything more fancy.

slimdog360
April 18th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I like the logitech mouses, but I have a MS keyboard. They are both coolo.

Spr0k3t
April 18th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Microsoft mice are horrid imho. I'll take a Logitech over MS or Razer any day of the week.

Now when it comes down to keyboards... I'm extremely particular. I like the MS Natural, I hate the MS Natural Elite. The keyboard must have a proper orientiation of the chicklet six (insert, home, Pup, del, end Pdown) with three across and two up. There can be no more than 12 F keys split into two groupings. I don't want a removable wrist rest (I break them too easily). Most important, the keyboard must not have a "sleep" key.

Other than that, the original MS Natural from the mid 90s is my choice.

picpak
April 18th, 2007, 02:53 PM
My sister has a Microsoft wireless mouse that works flawlessly in Ubuntu.

I myself like Logitech, they've worked a lot longer than the other cheap ones we've had.

aamukahvi
April 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I've got the Logitech MX518 and the Logitech Media Keyboard. I have no complaints.
I have Logitech USB Internet Keyboard and Logitech USB mouse (just 2 buttons & scroll wheel). Very good.

inimesekene
April 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM
logitech RX100 and an old keytronic here, works fine, though the keyboard is kinda dirty :popcorn:

Sunflower1970
April 18th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I'm another one that really liked MS keyboards and mice. I have two ergonomic wireless keyboards and two wireless 5-button mice. Love 'em. They worked out of the box perfectly with Ubuntu, as well.

Gargamella
April 18th, 2007, 05:01 PM
it true, where I live you can mainly find expencive logitech, a lot of Microsoft and Trust the cheaper one.

JasonRivers
May 4th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I am one of those people that Dislike microsoft software, and not because its no good, because in places it is Very very good, I disagree with their licensing, and for this reason 6 years ago, I turned to open source O/S's, moving from Red Hat, to Suse, to Gentoo, to Ubuntu, I moved to Ubuntu around a year ago, however, the software aside, I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro (probably the best PC Gamepad I've every used, and now the Nintendo WII controllers use the same technology) I have the very old Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro Joystick, again, although expensive, was well ahead of its time, My headset is made by Microsoft, and I have the Microsoft Wirless Natural Desktop, I have no complaints atall with their hardware, they do make good hardware, and have the money to invest in making it as good as possible.

I have just forwarded a new System Spec to my boss, the System is for Ubuntu LInux, But the Mouse and Keyboard is Microsoft, I've used many, and they do, feel really nice to use.

Microsoft: Great on hardware, shame about their soft spot... ;)

J

styven
May 4th, 2007, 06:20 PM
The problem as i see it is that if you get your mice and keyboard to work, all is fine.
In my case i have wireless logitech keyboard and mouse for my desktop pc and they have always worked fine.
The things you don't get however are software based in that with windows you get low battery notification if you install the logitech disk. In linux you don't have any option apart from waiting for the mouse or keyboard to stop working.
Don't bother me particularly but to some it would and to be honest some people coming from windows would consider this to be a normal feature, bit like working wireless and webcams!

Steve.

JasonRivers
May 4th, 2007, 06:23 PM
styven, there is a way, If you look at "dmesg" when you have a low battery, the keyboard and mouse send an unknown keycode to the system, so effectively, you can set the keycode up as a battery warning, and then map it to display a battery warning on the system. it is possible, I haven't got round to doing it with mine yet, maybe one day it will be included into Ubuntu though! :D

J

pmj
May 4th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Microsoft mice are horrid imho. I'll take a Logitech over MS or Razer any day of the week.

Now when it comes down to keyboards... I'm extremely particular. I like the MS Natural, I hate the MS Natural Elite. The keyboard must have a proper orientiation of the chicklet six (insert, home, Pup, del, end Pdown) with three across and two up. There can be no more than 12 F keys split into two groupings. I don't want a removable wrist rest (I break them too easily). Most important, the keyboard must not have a "sleep" key.

Other than that, the original MS Natural from the mid 90s is my choice.

As is mine. You can't buy these anymore, so I was so happy when I found one that someone had thrown away. I have yet to find a keyboard that feels better to type on.

starcraft.man
May 4th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Well, I use a great custom weighted G5 with a Media Elite keyboard (nice soft push keys :) ).

I got to say, I've tried microsoft mice and keyboards... I dunno, I didn't think they were that good. I think the reason they dominate is simply the same reason why windows still dominates, its all the average user knows and its distributed by default.

On a related note, does anyone know why apple is obsessed with the one button mouse even today when everyone wants two button mice?

ghandi69_
May 4th, 2007, 08:00 PM
To be honest, I never used a mouse that I didn't like, I guess except for those 'ball' scroller thingers... but other than that, I think all mice are created equal.

HOWEVER, I love my keyboard. I have an IBM Model M keyboard. This thing weighs about 20 lbs and is loud as hell with all the clicking. In fact, I'm pretty sure you could beat someone to death with this keyboard, and it would still be functional enough afterwards to type a fake suicide note.

Just saying.

FurryNemesis
May 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I've got a Toshiba Satellite 5200-701, and ever since I started using it four years ago I can't get used to any other kind of keyboard. Short-travel keys, slightly clickity, with properly bevelled edges so you can almost slide from one key to the next, and because I have small hands, the reduced size layout fits me perfectly, even the half size F keys. Needless to say I have to treat the home computer like I'm an ape with a typewriter. It's a Dell with default keyboard. Must...bash...key...to...depress...ugh.
I went and got myself a Logitech mx1000 mouse a couple of years back and I'm still impressed. A little messing around with xorg.conf got me my scrollkeys - although I use it and the pad with the scrollwheel interchangably from one app to the next - very strange. A friend of mine is getting a G-15, so I'm waiting for his report on that for when I build a desktop.