PDA

View Full Version : HELP Ruby!

nick.inspiron6400
December 26th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I just installed Ruby. Again, how do i load the application? I have added this "Command Application Launch" I type ruby...

NOTHING HAPPENS!!!

I really know nothing about Linux so please help me!

tikal26
December 27th, 2006, 07:48 AM
I thought tha ti had answered this questions for you already. I don't kow if you did not get to read it, but I think that you are confused. when you ask How do I load the application?
Ruby is not and application but a language. So to create something with ruby I will do this

1. Install
enable universe repositories
sudo apt-get install ruby irb rdoc

http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=ruby&searchon=names&subword=1&version=edgy&release=all&page=6&number=50
The ruby pacakege install is 1.8.2
2. Test it
You can do it so many ways
a.)you can open a shell and type irb and then Enter
"hello wolrd"
enter
you should get a hello world
b.) or open your favorite text editor
Type puts ' Hello World'
Save it as helloworld.rb
from the command line type Ruby helloworld.rb
your should get hello world as output.

I don't know if that answers your question, but if you could be a little bit more precise I am sure that we could help you. Maybe what you want to install is rails in taht case
sudo apt-get install rails
and you can take it from there

nick.inspiron6400
December 27th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks for your reply.

1. How do i open the shell?
2. How do i get the command line open?

Thanks, but i only migrated from Windows a few days ago!

Ramses de Norre
December 27th, 2006, 01:01 PM
The terminal should be somewhere in Applications > system tools or something when using gnome. When you've got kde you'll need to look in your menu for Konsole.

tikal26
December 27th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I use kde so you can use konsole for the shell and command line part of the instructions.
I don't know where they are on gnome. You can also apt-get install yakuake and then you can type f12 and it appears on the top. I like to use that so that I can still use it and make it appear and dissapear any time
http://www.kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=36660&file1=36660-1.png&file2=&file3=&name=Yakuake+for+Kubuntu

I am sorry that I can't be of more help with gnome, but I trie looking up the wiki and it was slaw so maybe later I can look that up.