PDA

View Full Version : What should be improved most with Ubuntu?

purplearcanist
December 26th, 2006, 10:18 PM
What do you think should be the focus of improvements on Ubuntu?

I think we should convert the advantages of Windows over to Ubuntu.

What is the main thing that makes windows the top OS in the world?

Compatability!

People want an operating system that will run any program that they want to install. People want an operating system that will easily run any hardware they need to use.
Windows satisfies both of these needs pretty well. But Mac and Linux do not have as much compatibility as Windows.

The Ubuntu community should focus on the following things:

1. Improve WINE! Since there are many programs for Windows, and people get frusturated when a program is not compatible with their operating system. WINE should be tested with many windows programs, from those on the disk to those free ones off the internet, and fixed. Also, it would help to speed up the emulation process, since it is annoying to see your Windows program use lots of processing power. Also, WINE should some standard and be automatic, so people can immediately install and use Windows. WINE should also create a shortcut for every program automatically.

2. Make more Drivers! More drivers should automatically get made for Ubuntu. I suggest a piece of software that automatically scans for and updates drivers, like the update manager.

ButteBlues
December 26th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Compatability!

You say compatibility, I say using hardball, monopolistic tactics. ;)

Abu Imak
December 26th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Upgrading to 1.4 messed up my beryl, now none of the plugins appear in the settings manager and the effects and borders dont appear around my windows either :( any ideas?

TooRight
December 26th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Something needs to be done about the ATI drivers... an added option that will query if the card is ATI and then install the fglrx driver automatically would be nice. I have a couple friends that had the xserver errors and just figured Ubuntu wouldn't work on their comps, so they scrapped the idea of adding it.

Somenoob
December 26th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Nothing in praticular should be improved. To convince hardware manufactures to make Linux drivers, that's what Ubuntu needs and all other GNU/Linux distributions.

tarpon_bill
December 26th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Sound support needs fixing quick if Ubuntu expects to make a run for the hearts and minds of web 2.0 users. It's simply broken.

~LoKe
December 26th, 2006, 10:36 PM
I've yet to encounter any serious problems that take more than a little bit of effort to correct. I think perhaps it needs to be easier for beginners who wouldn't know how to chop up a configuration.

kerry_s
December 26th, 2006, 11:23 PM

Compatability!

People want an operating system that will run any program that they want to install. People want an operating system that will easily run any hardware they need to use.
Windows satisfies both of these needs pretty well. But Mac and Linux do not have as much compatibility as Windows.

1. Improve WINE! Since there are many programs for Windows, and people get frusturated when a program is not compatible with their operating system. WINE should be tested with many windows programs, from those on the disk to those free ones off the internet, and fixed. Also, it would help to speed up the emulation process, since it is annoying to see your Windows program use lots of processing power. Also, WINE should some standard and be automatic, so people can immediately install and use Windows. WINE should also create a shortcut for every program automatically.

2. Make more Drivers! More drivers should automatically get made for Ubuntu. I suggest a piece of software that automatically scans for and updates drivers, like the update manager.

I think you want windows, linux is not windows. People want a lot of things & usually change to get what they want. You can make a difference by not using incompatible hardware. Most people are screwed in the first place by having systems made for windows, but if your wanting to run linux you can change to more compatible hardware, it will be a lot faster than hoping linux changes to fit your needs.

meng
December 26th, 2006, 11:31 PM
1. I agree wine should be improved, but there are many good free programs for Linux that can achieve similar things to those available for Windows, and (most importantly) without the included malware.
2. We can continue to pester the hardware companies to make drivers for Linux, and even better, to opensource them. But apart from those godly coders who can reverse-engineer drivers, us mere mortals can have very little impact.

phen
December 26th, 2006, 11:57 PM
hardware compatibility is important, but gets better and better i think :)

I am using linux with laptops only. and there is one thing that is the only problem left with linux: xorg cannot switch between displays. it is not possible to plug a running laptop into a docking station and start up the other display. it is also not possible to use the large display as primary when plugged in, but automatically switch to the internal display if not. therefore it is necessary to edit the xorg.conf file.

i would love to hear about a group or project aiming to imrpove laptop usability. i would help, but that stuff is to complicated for me...

Sef
December 27th, 2006, 12:02 AM

The ability to set up Korean as easily as Russian.

qalimas
December 27th, 2006, 12:02 AM
WINE is the last thing we need to improve upon. Sure, it's a nice concept for Windows users to have their programs on Linux... but the time spent creating that compatibility layer could be spent improving upon something like OpenOffice so there is no need for a program like WINE. That's just my thought, though.

What we need more than anything, if we want to convert Windows users, is more NATIVE games. Bioware does a good job of supporting us, as do the people who make Unreal. But that just isn't enough...

I don't really see why we need to convert Windows users though, our user base is plenty big enough and we can do what we need to do.

To give ourselves a nice little present, the thing that needs to be done more than anything is wireless support, closely followed by OSS nVidia drivers...

My $0.02.

STREETURCHINE
December 27th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Nothing in praticular should be improved. To convince hardware manufactures to make Linux drivers, that's what Ubuntu needs and all other GNU/Linux distributions.

ubuntu is fine as it is ' so i have to agree with you .
hardwares and software companies should not dictate what os you use.so they should make drivers and programs compatible with every os...

Frak
December 27th, 2006, 02:51 AM

Compatability!

If people want those windows apps so bad, make 'em shell out for crossover, that's what I did.

patrick295767
December 27th, 2006, 03:13 AM
too much bugs

mdsmedia
December 27th, 2006, 03:24 AM
WINE is the last thing we need to improve upon. Sure, it's a nice concept for Windows users to have their programs on Linux... but the time spent creating that compatibility layer could be spent improving upon something like OpenOffice so there is no need for a program like WINE. That's just my thought, though.

What we need more than anything, if we want to convert Windows users, is more NATIVE games. Bioware does a good job of supporting us, as do the people who make Unreal. But that just isn't enough...

I don't really see why we need to convert Windows users though, our user base is plenty big enough and we can do what we need to do.

To give ourselves a nice little present, the thing that needs to be done more than anything is wireless support, closely followed by OSS nVidia drivers...I tend to agree. I use one program in Wine, and really haven't got it working properly, or even tried to get it working properly in Wine....and that's mIRC, because it works ok, and there are plenty of options/alternatives for Linux. I'm just so used to mIRC that I used Wine to run it......For everything else I've found an alternative in Linux or have to boot Windows to run it.

What Linux (Ubuntu is just a distro) needs is recognition. When I read "PC" magazines and they have articles about software/hardware for your PC and they just assume that you're using Windows, or websites with software/plugins/addons that just assume you're using Windows, that's what annoys me. Google Earth is now available in Linux, but the Sydney-Hobart yacht race has a Google Earth plugin and instructions on how to use it. I don't know how to get it working in Linux, but the instructions MUST assume Windows. No OS is mentioned, but the instructions and FAQ mention steps/troubleshooting that assume Windows. THAT annoys me.

bobbybobington
December 27th, 2006, 05:23 AM
gotta agree with mdsmedia. Recognition. On the technical side, it can only get better. But the fact remains that most people who are computer savvy haven't even heard about ubuntu. We really need to get some tv airtime. Most people discovered ubuntu by word of mouth or stumbled upon it, imagine what a really good commercial to millions of people could do.