PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with Your Ubuntu?

graficus
December 25th, 2006, 01:27 AM
It would be interesting to hear what does the average and above average Ubuntu user does with his/her Linux.

Personally, I installed Linux because the geeky side of me demanded I try it. Since I have to use applications like Photoshop, Dreamweaver and the like quite often, I spend most of the time in Windows.

Without being biased towards any system, I sincerely wonder, what are the most exciting things do you do with Linux, that are unique to the platform?
Hoping to see many useful links and examples!

Tomosaur
December 25th, 2006, 01:33 AM
I don't think I do anything in Ubuntu which I can't do in Windows, I just prefer Ubuntu. I do programming in Ubuntu because for me it's a much better development environment, but most things I could do in Windows.

samjh
December 25th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Programming, maintaining my unix/linux skills, general day-to-day computer usage.

I choose to install linux because of enthusiasm, not any technical merit. I dual-boot with Windows because of compatibility issues, and also for multimedia and games applications.

pseudo_nz
December 25th, 2006, 01:39 AM
I run an Ubuntu-only laptop as my home computer, and use it mostly for general surfing, email, usenet... the everday stuff.

There's nothing I do that I couldn't do on windows, but I prefer the freedom and the sense of community that you get with Ubuntu - and I love not having the endless list of flaws, security holes and vulnerabilities that I had with XP.

nalmeth
December 25th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Regular home PC use, music recording, local media serving, and some gaming. Tinkering with unsafe, unstable things goes without saying :KS

Basically enjoying software freedom.

benjjo
December 25th, 2006, 02:17 AM
I use Ubuntu on my Laptop. I have Fc6, Fc5, Fc4 and IP Cop running on various other machines for all the hard core stuff but i wanted something user freindly on my Laptop as i tend to share it among freinds and the like. Ubuntu is perfect for showing off to people who think Linux is a comand line UI. Or better yet, showing it off to freinds who are running Windows with that little popup in the bottom corner claiming they don't have a genuine copy.
For my own personel preference though, ubuntu was one of the easiest operating systems ive experienced installing so that was a big turn on. And i have to admit that surfing the web without having to dish out the cash for virus protection is a big plus too.

dbbolton
December 25th, 2006, 04:14 AM
i like to run virus scans ... just for old times' sake.

kevinf311
December 25th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Better question might be "What don't you do with Your Ubuntu?"

I dual-boot Ubuntu and XP. I use XP for one or two video games (Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Halo) and... advanced purchase music listening. :rolleyes:

I use Ubuntu for:

Internet Browsing
Checking E-mail through a mail client
Instant messaging
Listening to music
Watching movies
School work (word processing, spreadsheets, pdf support)
Photo editing
Audio editing
Light coding
General experimental system tweaking
Probably more

Praxicoide
December 25th, 2006, 07:18 AM
I run an Ubuntu-only laptop as my home computer, and use it mostly for general surfing, email, usenet... the everday stuff .

ditto

NeoLithium
December 25th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Wow, well, I have Ubuntu on my laptop until I finish building my franken-box. Basically it's nothing very fancy.

-Email & Browsing
-Light coding
-Running a MUSH Server
-Music & Movies (Burning and view/listening)
-Family photos and home movies
-Instant Messenging
-These forums
-Kernel Compiling/Tinkering

meng
December 25th, 2006, 07:27 AM
I reinstalled Windows for the sole purpose of running games that didn't work under wine.

lucky_chouhan
December 25th, 2006, 07:46 AM
I am use ubuntu (linux) because i use windows in last 8 years and i can do anything (100%) i am use windows 97 (1 year), 98(6 year), Xp (1 Year), 2003 SVR (1 Year) and i totally bored with this environment. then i go to linux. here i am use.

1. Redhat Linux 8 (use 2 months)
2. Redhat Linux 9 (use 6 months)
3. College Linux (use 4 months)
4. Slackware (use 2 months)
5. Suse (use 1 months)
6. Mandrake (use 1 months)
7. Vector Linux (use 3 months)
8. Ubuntu (last 30 days and continue to life long.)

Ubuntu is very easy to use and very user friendly OS. Basically i am use for learn proper way linux, terminal use, listen songs, surfing, watch my videos and try to use its all features and packages (20,000 something) one by one.

My main reason is Ubuntu Community ya its a very big community and support staff. till date my all ubuntu problems are solved ubuntu by users.
My vote is Ubuntu (I am a Happy Linux User):)

3kravinarayan
December 25th, 2006, 11:58 AM
i changed to ubuntu because my comp would be perenially infected with viruses in the wondows xp environment. am now fully into ubuntu but yet to get IE4LINUX running. its been great as it runs clean and fast. and is rid of the seattle robber barons

Ravi

:KS

Stone123
December 25th, 2006, 05:41 PM
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/970/skrmdumpmo9.th.png (http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/970/skrmdumpmo9.png)

Blondie
December 27th, 2006, 05:48 AM
I do all the usual stuff with Ubuntu but also I'm turning a PC into a home cooked Ubuntu based PVR using two DVB cards and MythTV.

IYY
December 27th, 2006, 05:53 AM
C programming for Linux, mostly. Of course, I do everything else too, but I could do it just as well (only in a less comfortable environment) in Windows. That is, web browsing, instant messaging, creative writing and academic reports (in LaTeX), writing poetry (in vi), editing images (in Gimp), watching movies, listening to music, recording music, playing games... The usual!

scrooge_74
December 27th, 2006, 05:57 AM
General business use, only miss my games, no XP partition any more

RandomJoe
December 27th, 2006, 06:31 AM
As someone else said, it might be easier to say "what don't I do?" The only answer I have to that is "work stuff" since my company is beholden to MS... *sigh*

I haven't run Windows at home in a good 10 years or so. I use Linux (until recently 100% Slackware, now I have Ubuntu on the desktop) for all the usual desktop stuff, programming, personal wiki to dump random thoughts, music/video (have all my DVDs and CDs ripped to a server in the back room, streaming anywhere I want), used to have a MythTV setup but I don't watch much TV so the machine is now setup on the projector/stereo in the living room - 11 foot screen on the wall, who needs to go to the theatre?!? ;) Merely twiddling the trackball on the arm of the recliner lets me watch or listen to anything on the server!

My gaming is Linux-only as well, although I'm not a big gamer. I'm still happy with Civ:CTP, Unreal Tournament, Descent 3, SimCity 2000. I also like Master of Orion (the original DOS-mode one). Played well in DOSEMU last time I tried it. (Been a while - might have to dig it out again!)

As far as work is concerned, I have a Linux box there as well, on a separate DSL line so my coworkers and I can access some key standalone systems for on-call work. It was once doable through the corporate LAN, but they are trying to do away with VPN access (going to Citrix/web access) which doesn't let us do what we need. So now I can do much of my work from home, on my Linux systems via VPN to the office DSL line. No need to break out the work laptop.

I also have a VPN server here at the house, so I can access everything remotely if I want/need. I still want to set up an IMAP server, so email is more readily accessible anywhere.

mooha
December 27th, 2006, 06:34 AM
In the following link:
http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS3304110264.html

I have personaly nothing to add after what was written.
for almost a year from now I switched completely to Linux my machines are running only on Linux, since then I missed scaning my PC for Viruses and cleaning up Spywares and all kind of **** like that !! hahaahah. Saved me Money for software that do that and something more than money is TIME.
Comunity is important many people spending thier own time to give you help.
Gouverments IT are looking now for saving Costs.
A long time before I switched to Linux when I used to run windows only, I didn't missed my Games at all because in my opinion a game console like PS2 or Xbox is much better then running a game on any PC. Means it exist a game station (box) what ever you name it so you can have fun.
Many windows users are using a Cracked Windows they didn't pay for it and many other additional software...
I live in Algeria and here many companies and assiciations are looking ahead to use Linux for Stability and Security and Useability and ofcorse SAVING MONEY.

ooops sorry I said so many things ... here's what you can read more:

Aug. 31, 2005

It's been interesting reading all the comments and emails about my last tongue-in-cheek tale about why you shouldn't use Linux.

A couple of questions and comments kept popping up again and again, so I thought I'd address them.

1. Linux is too complicated.

Wait, didn't I just do this?

Seriously, you want an easy-to-use operating system? Go to Mac OS X.

OK, I know some of you hate -- I mean hate -- Apple operating systems, but it really is amazingly good.

More to the point, I think most people think the easiest operating system is the one they already know.

Let's face it; most of us hate learning curves. It's just that, in the case of Windows vs. Linux, the climb is worth it.

2. It's not funny; you're not serious enough; give us reasons to go to Linux.

Guys, guys, guys; no one ever agrees on what's funny or not, but a lot of people liked it. More to the point, I've written dozens of serious articles on why Linux is better than Windows.

Heck, I wrote the very first story that showed, by objective tests, that Linux kicked the stuffings out of NT, back before Windows 2000 was on the scene.

So, after hearing for the 1,001st time all the same old reasons on why Windows is better ... well it was time to write something different, so I did.

3. Windows isn't that big a part of the price of my computer.

Microsoft’s pricing is a wild and wooly world, depending on exactly what your relationship is with the boys from Redmond and your licensing terms. Generally speaking, though, XP Home SP2 is going to run an OEM $90 to $120.

Of course, I wouldn't use XP Home on a bet, but it is the one you see in every box in the land. Pro, the only reasonable Windows these days since W2K support went the way of all things, will run a hardware builder around $150.

With perfectly usable PCs going for around $500, it strikes me that Windows is a big part of a PC's price.

4. Windows is secure! Linux just hasn't been attacked because it’s not popular.

Lord give me strength.

I mean, since I wrote that first story earlier this week -- This Week! -- yet another Internet Explorer hole has been found. This one can be used to compromise fully patched Windows XP SP2 computers, and there is no way to block attacks, according to Tom Ferris, the independent researcher who found the vulnerability.

Oh yeah, Windows is secure, OK.

And, you know what? Linux is popular, very popular. It's just that, today, it's mostly in devices and servers. Funny, though, you don't see those kinds of stories almost every day about Linux.

5. There aren't any games.

OK, you've got me.

While there are Linux games, there aren't as many as there are on Windows machines.

Of course, what I want to know is: if you're into games, why aren't you playing them on a dedicated game machine that beats any PC all hollow, like the PS/2. Or, if you really love Microsoft products, an Xbox?

Say what I will about Windows the operating system, when it comes to pure gaming fun, it's hard to beat the Master Chief with a rocket launcher in hand in Halo 2.

But, of course, for that you don't need Windows, Linux or Mac OS, you need an Xbox, not a PC.

I rest my case.

--Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

illu45
December 27th, 2006, 06:57 AM
I usually browse the web, listen to music (love AmaroK), chat with people, watch vidcasts/vodcasts/video podcasts/whatever. Do school stuff, too. As mentioned before, nothing I couldn't do in Windows, but I just prefer the feel and idea of Linux.

Peter Mount
December 27th, 2006, 07:46 AM
I use Ubuntu for my Web Development business. I have PHP, Apache and MYSQL set up on Ubuntu.

Apart from that I do the usual things like email, chat, surfing web sites and wasting time on it etc.

Ubuntu certainly suits my budget.

macogw
December 27th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I just do normal stuff usually, but I like being able to code in the terminal using Vim. No more IDEs like I had in Windows. I also love having multiple desktops. Fitting everything on one is just plain annoying. It's too cluttered. The cube (beryl) just makes those extra desktops more fun. It's also slightly faster than without Beryl to switch desktops because they loop around on the cube. Without the cube, you go across and back. To get from #1 to #4 requires crossing 2 and 3. With the cube, it's direct, so even less ctrl alt arrow.

Chemist
December 27th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I run an Ubuntu-only laptop as my home computer, and use it mostly for general surfing, email, usenet... the everday stuff.

There's nothing I do that I couldn't do on windows, but I prefer the freedom and the sense of community that you get with Ubuntu - and I love not having the endless list of flaws, security holes and vulnerabilities that I had with XP.

Same here, I spent about 13 years on windoze, but with vista around the corner I don't want to have to fork out on a super computer just to check emails, surf and download a few movies. So I though I'd give linux a go and I'm not going back now or ever.

darkmane
January 7th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Like prety much everyone else, I mostly do general everyday stuff.

Web browsing, email, IM, managing photos, listening to music, watching DVDs (must get around to to getting that DVB-T tuner card I 've had my eye on, which will save a trip to Blockbusters when its cold and wet :-D ). Just the usual

Other than that, I occaisionally do some work at home (FTP and content management systems are a boon for a Web Dev like me), bit of photo editing, bit of audio editing, bit of work on my web site (lol not as frequently as I perhaps should).

Will shortly be setting up Apache, MySQL and PHP so I can keep my skills finely honed. Plus I'd love to to get my teeth really stuck into a bit of shell scripting.

.... pauses for breath ....

And when I'm done/bored with all that, I love a good romp through UT 2004 :twisted:

indylarry
January 7th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Same as everyone else. Day to day stuff plus I am a wanna be coder. I have been using Linux for a little over two years and I got started by running Knoppix on my laptop. Now, I dual boot my main machine with Dapper as my primary OS, run a Dapper home file server so my wife can access all of our music from her XP machine, and am pushing my parents to move to Dapper. It's like I have been possessed by the spirit free software.

Lord Illidan
January 7th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I reinstalled Windows for the sole purpose of running games that didn't work under wine.

Me too. Though only for DX 9 games and Black and White. However, since I rediscovered Quake 4 and Tremulous, seems I don't really need windows anymore. Quake 4, UT 2004, Tremulous, Battle for Wesnoth, all of them adequately fulfill my gaming needs.

maniacmusician
January 7th, 2007, 02:16 AM

I dual-boot Ubuntu and XP. I use XP for one or two video games (Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Halo) and... advanced purchase music listening. :rolleyes:

I use Ubuntu for:

Internet Browsing
Checking E-mail through a mail client
Instant messaging
Listening to music
Watching movies
School work (word processing, spreadsheets, pdf support)
Photo editing
Audio editing
Light coding
General experimental system tweaking
Probably more

what do you use for audio editing? just wondering.

Myself, I do a lot of things...the normal stuff, and then I like messing with different systems in vmware, using beryl in a work-efficient manner (yes there is such a thing). I also like reading about viruses and not having to worry about them. I guess nothing extraordinary. But it's just a better system, and that's all the reason I need to use it.

TooRight
January 7th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I do everything on my Ubuntu that I used to do on windoze...but faster and with more style ;)

I surf, email, instant message, work on my sites and those of my clients, ftp files back and forth, test web scripts using apache, mysql, & php, track my sites, work on graphics, watch movies, listen to music, customize websites and web scripts. not just work though; i even found a program for crafters... KXStitch!! Perfect for cross-stitchers like myself. You can even load a photograph into it and it'll make a pattern from it with all the floss colors listed for you! I used to have a program on windows that was like it --- but thattt program cost almost $400 :O:O KXStitch is FREE :D

Plus I get to playyyy with my comp too, love that Beryl cube :P

AndyCooll
January 7th, 2007, 03:37 AM
All the boxes and laptops in this house are Ubuntu, the only XP I have is a VMware image. So everything I use a pc for I use Linux. And as has been mentioned that's most common tasks: web browsing, e-mail, IM, office docs, music, graphics etc etc.

I have actually now got a basic grasp of the command line for certain tasks, e.g. connecting to my other boxes. I never used this with Windoze. And as a result I feel I have more understanding and control of my systems.
Also being able to use XDMCP is great. Being able to logon to another box while sat at this one is brilliant.

:cool:

graigsmith
January 7th, 2007, 08:11 AM
i play some world of warcraft, and some other opensource games.. read my emails. surf the web. fix up webpages. Draw on my wacom tablet. edit photos. store and backup images i take with my camera. Listen to music. talk to my friends on gaim.

that's about all i do. just general stuff i guess.

forcesofhabit
January 7th, 2007, 08:35 AM
I do everything I did when I was using Windows:
browsing the web, IM, downloading music, all the standard stuff..

except one thing: recording music and editing music.

Audacity doesn't work anywhere near as well as Adobe Audition. I think it's really the only thing I miss about Windows.

I'm running Xubuntu (by choice, not because of low-hw specs) on my laptop and desktop PC.

coder_
January 7th, 2007, 09:13 AM
forcesofhabit: Try out JACK and Ardour :) Great for music recording on Linux

As for me.
- Coding
- Servers
- General day to day stuff (Homework, Browsing, music playing, etc.)
- Music recording

WalmartSniperLX
January 7th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I use Ubuntu for basic home computing such as media, office utilities, some games, web surfing, etc. I literally LOVE Ubuntu/Linux and prefer it over any closed source OS and other open source projects such as the open source flavors of bsd (couldn't even get freebsd to install correctly on my hp pavilion zx notebook, then again it might not have been the os' fault).

Free from viruses, trojans, spyware, adware, etc. What can you not love about it ;)

AndyW
January 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM
everything... except lan parties;)

Xzallion
January 7th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I use Ubuntu for everything except three things : Homework that requires windows software, Watching videos from my hard drive on my tv,and a few games that I never can get to run in Wine.

In Ubuntu I: Code Java games (working on a 2d rpg similar to older dragon warrior games from the NES), Surf the web, Write papers and other things in OpenOffice, make handouts and notes for D&D games using Inkscape and Scribus, am teaching myself to program in C and C++ using Eclipse with the CDT plugin, Watch flash videos, Listen to music in Amarok, chat on Gaim, and read email with Thunderbird, and read the bible using BibleTime (I need to see if theres similar software for other religions, I like reading about religions/cultures). I also play a few games, Freeciv is nothing but awesome, and follows me on my flashdrive (the windows port).

chrisfay
January 7th, 2007, 10:20 AM
My entire home datacenter runs off Ubuntu 6.06 server offering reliable email and web hosting services for clients, friends and family. Apart from production services, Ubuntu remains my sturdy platform for all web site/application development needs and a plethora of other obsessive hobbyistic desires.

Windows narrowly avoids the chopping block in my house due in part to my wife's lack of interest in conversion. What can you do…

Long live the UBU!

EDIT:

i like to run virus scans ... just for old times' sake.
...lol

Tutu 1234
January 7th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Everything except Work but I'm going to look at moving my Work across to Ubuntu in a couple of months when I'm more comfortable in Ubuntu.

I need autoroute style program meaning I always need a VM until someone ports one to linux or gets one working perfectly in Wine.

Lord Illidan
January 7th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Generally speaking, I always have more fun playing around with Linux than with Windows. It is an OS built by geeks for geeks, not like Windows, built by nerds for non-nerds...

bmhm
January 7th, 2007, 12:15 PM
* Reguzlar DAU use
* watching DVDs
* listen to music
* Using openOffice.org
* Xchat/gaim
* Browsing
* Playing all kind of games
* Testing other systems in VMWare
* Making friends jealous when they see Beryl :D
* Learning Java with eclipse
* Financial apllications (StarMoney comes with a linux script :) )
* batch-conversations (mp32ogg, jpg/gif2png) which wouldn't be very comfortable using Windoze

and so on... I like the point with the smiley ;)

queen_yoshi
January 7th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I use Ubuntu for:
web surfing
graphics work with the Gimp (wallpapers and stuff I display at deviantart (http://tonkotsusoup.deviantart.com))
manage my website (http://f-monkey.com)
ebay lol
I love playing with GUI (thats one of the reasons I started to look at linux originally-customisability)
learning more about computing in general thanks to ubuntu
run/manage my own business (I have a bought version of M$ Office yet still I use OOo and linux lol)
watch LOTS of anime on it
bittorrent/filesharing
studying for my MCDST using the PDF reader LOL LOL :mrgreen:
play Shogo
listen to music on Amarok
watch DVD's
email with Thunderbird

insane_alien
January 7th, 2007, 12:36 PM
all my uni reports get done on ubuntu. since i switched i've never had a 'OH CRAP! I HAVEN'T SAVED IN AGES AND IT CRASHED' episode. and i don't even have to worry about having a crash. ubuntu just will not die no matter what you do to it.

andrew.46
January 20th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Hi graficus,

An interseting question:

It would be interesting to hear what does the average and above average Ubuntu user does with his/her Linux.

Without being biased towards any system, I sincerely wonder, what are the most exciting things do you do with Linux, that are unique to the platform?
Hoping to see many useful links and examples!

because many people see the Operating System as a thing in itself, rather than tool with which to accomplish their goals :-)

Myself, I use Bluefish and the GIMP to run a genealogy website: http://www.strong-family.org And OpenOffice to work on my BA (Bachelor of Arts degree); I believe that Americans call this an AB?

The special thing about my system is that is a relatively underpowered one that runs Xubuntu Linux well and the software has cost me nothing: I could not afford the equivalent software in the world of Windows :-)

Andrew

Verminox
January 20th, 2007, 12:23 PM
As some have said before there is not much that can be done only on Ubuntu and not on Windows.... however I use Kubuntu merely because of preference.

I hate programming on Windows for some reason. I use either the KDevelop IDE or the CLI directly. I also like the way KDE can be customized unlike the stuff that you are stuck with on Windows.

However, I still dual boot with XP because I use Windows for stuff like games, MSN Messenger (gaim n kopete just give basic support) and of course testing my programs if they work in Windows.... as I like to develop cross-platform.

EdThaSlayer
January 20th, 2007, 03:29 PM
):P *Just checking the new smilies*

I use Linux for
1.Internet browsing(forums, YouTube, etc...)
2. Download things either via direct or bit torrent
3.Simple programming(Python+IDLE=:guitar: )
4.Play games(still have a ATI card, planning to get Nvidia so I can get a much better fps in Regnum Online :biggrin: )

Mateo
January 20th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I like to find ways to automate common tasks as much as I can. For example, I read a Mexican newspaper which puts the paper on its website. I used to have to go to the website every day and get it, but with the power of wget, time, and crontab, i don't have to do anything. This is the script if you want it:

today=`date +%Y_%m_%-e`
wget -r -l1 --no-parent --no-directories -A "*$today*" -e robots=off -P /home/matthew/Books/ http://www.economista.com.mx/impreso/pdf/

Right now I'm working on a couple of things. One is a script which will print the daily crossword. I think this is possible but I just need to find the best method to print HTML from the command line (i've tried converting to postscript with html2ps but I don't think it formats well).

The other is an attempt to combine the excellent youtube-dl with an rss aggregator (like theyoke) to create a nice youtube podcatcher, but I think this is a longshot because finding an aggregator that will write just the links to a file or something isn't easy. still working on it though.