PDA

View Full Version : ThermalTake General Consensus

Arthemys
May 8th, 2005, 04:55 AM
My past two motherboards have used ThermalTake CPU coolers, and from what I can tell they're overly loud and don't cool as efficient as say maybe even an OEM cooler.

Do others experience this too with ThermalTake?

Figured I'd get a few cents from a broader audience.

(Cross-posted in DI.fm forums)

psoleko
May 8th, 2005, 05:00 AM
I have used Thermaltakes alot in the past and I have to agree with the noise, but they do on average perform better than stock coolers. Recently I have been using Zalman CPU coolers (very quiet) and also moving some boxen to SFF systems. I actually just bought a Thermaltake case, so I'll see how that fan noise goes. It also matters if you buy a performance type cooler, as far as I know they also make relatively quiet coolers. Take a look at Zalman's stuff you won't be dissapointed.

Arthemys
May 8th, 2005, 05:06 AM
For me, it's just obnoxious to sit next to my workstation and to keep my chip below 60c I need to crank the fan speed up, usually over half way.

(Controlled via front mounted knob)

Ubunted
May 8th, 2005, 05:19 AM
I stuck a Volcano 12 on my Barton 2500 a little while ago. When I have the fan at about 50% the CPU idles about 10 degrees C cooler than it did on the stock fan. Sure it's noisy as heck, but it doesen't bother me too much.

Idle Temp - 32-34 C
100% Temp - 40-42 C

I run Folding@Home 24/7, so a stable, cool CPU is a must.

Arthemys
May 8th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Right now I'm doing 4440rpm @ 58c.

To me, that's embarassing as a cooler.

psoleko
May 8th, 2005, 05:47 AM
That's a horrible temp for any cooler, my little shuttle I am typing this up on is running at 40C pretty steady. I am currently using the Zalman CNPS7000B (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118119) on my Clawhammer Athlon 64 3200+ and it is quiet, can be controlled by knob and last but not least running very cool :D

kvidell
May 8th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Does anyone have an opinion, from personal experience, on the thermal take water cooling units?
My housemate has one and hasn't complained, but I wanna get some more opinions.

If I use it with a clawhammer will I have any problems?
- Kev

darkoptix
May 8th, 2005, 05:50 AM
My xbox pulls lower temps than that without only a heatsink.

Arthemys
May 8th, 2005, 05:53 AM
The only thing I can think of that might be a problem is the proximity of the side of my case, to the wall of my desk hutch, it's about a good inch and a half. But I'm guessing it might be inhaling it's own air from behind.

I am considering remounting it with better thermal paste but... It would involve some crafty fan removal... The board's layout isn't exactly TT friendly in this sense, there are capacitors in my way no matter how I do it.

psoleko
May 8th, 2005, 05:54 AM
kvidell, I wouldn't go for the Thermaltake big water. It's almost no better than an air cooler. The pump is anemic, and the construction looks very cheap. If you want to go water get a nice all in one unit like the Koolance Exos or for the DIYer visit Dangerden.com.

kvidell
May 8th, 2005, 05:55 AM
kvidell, I wouldn't go for the Thermaltake big water. It's almost no better than an air cooler. The pump is anemic, and the construction looks very cheap. If you want to go water get a nice all in one unit like the Koolance Exos or for the DIYer visit Dangerden.com.
Awesome :) Thank you!
- K

WildTangent
May 8th, 2005, 05:56 AM
i wouldnt use watercooling at all unless its made by a good, reputable company, and costs enough to give me confidence that it wont fail. in general, you dont need watercooling unless your over clocking. but thats just stupid. 3.0 GHz (or the equivilent AMD model) should be fast enough for every application you can think of for a desktop, and a 3 GHz P4 isnt that expensive these days. in short, there really isnt a use for overclocking, and thus, watercooling. ill stick with my big, bulky, quiet zalman cooler :)

-Wild

psoleko
May 8th, 2005, 06:02 AM
;-) Howabout watercooling for fun or for an almost virtually noiseless PC. I agree modern CPUs don't benefit much from overclocking but I still appreciate that I have the choice to do it. When I use to play FPS' alot my whole setup was overclocked, the overclocked sound card was a bit too much though, everything came out sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks. (j/k about the sound card) But, the point is just like we like our OS to be configurable and hackable, what's wrong with doing the same to hardware.

Arthemys
May 8th, 2005, 06:03 AM
i wouldnt use watercooling at all unless its made by a good, reputable company, and costs enough to give me confidence that it wont fail. in general, you dont need watercooling unless your over clocking. but thats just stupid. 3.0 GHz (or the equivilent AMD model) should be fast enough for every application you can think of for a desktop, and a 3 GHz P4 isnt that expensive these days. in short, there really isnt a use for overclocking, and thus, watercooling. ill stick with my big, bulky, quiet zalman cooler :)

-Wild
The only comment I have to that is: cooler temps will prolong the life of the chip.

As with any piece of electronics, they hate heat. And heat will cause wear and tear on the chip itself, even though there are no moving parts, there are other factors that cause material to degrade over time.

WildTangent
May 8th, 2005, 06:12 AM
The only comment I have to that is: cooler temps will prolong the life of the chip.

As with any piece of electronics, they hate heat. And heat will cause wear and tear on the chip itself, even though there are no moving parts, there are other factors that cause material to degrade over time.
however, whats the point of prolonging its life if youre likely to replace it in a couple years or so? to me it doesnt make sense to spend $150 or more for a watercooling system to keep my CPU alive for a couple more years, id rather spend 200-300 and buy a brand new CPU

-Wild

Arthemys
May 8th, 2005, 06:20 AM
however, whats the point of prolonging its life if youre likely to replace it in a couple years or so? to me it doesnt make sense to spend $150 or more for a watercooling system to keep my CPU alive for a couple more years, id rather spend 200-300 and buy a brand new CPU

For some of us, (myself included). My PC/workstation/notebook, is an investment. I build it up over time to get a long enjoyable life out of it. Granted it's only 2.1ghz, that's plenty fast for me, I don't game very much as I only have an ATi 9200se.

Businesses look at it the same way; "Ok, we're gonna bite the bullet and upgrade... NOW." And they stay that way for on average, 5 years per cycle. My company workstations are old refurbished Dell Optiplex's running around ~600 to 933mhz. And for what those boxes do that's plenty fast.

I guess I'm just a traditionalist when it comes to anything involving electricity. Hell I'm from Vermont! "Make it last."

WildTangent
May 8th, 2005, 06:36 AM
youre certainly entitle to follow that philosophy, but me, i like new things. i should be the last person saying that, since i have a small home network of 5 computers, 3 of which are pentiums 3s ranging from 500mhz to 933mhz, and a pentium 2 running at 300mhz, but my primary computer is my P4 2.6Ghz, that hopefully this summer will be upgraded to 3 or 3.2ghz. and after a year or 2, if dual core or whatever else they have then is suffiently low in price, ill buy that too.

im kinda wierd, i like to have good technology, but i abhore spending my hard earned cash to get it ;) but getting all components from work at cost, no markup helps :P

anyways, watercooling does have its advanges, but for me personally, its not worth it. neither is overclocking, because that shortens your CPUs life span considerably

-Wild

Arthemys
May 8th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Here's what sickens me, I just increased the distance from the hutch wall and sped my fan up to full. And the damn thing got, hotter. What the hell.

Arthemys
May 8th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Currently 6026rpm @ 50c

I just cleaned the sh*t out of my case and cooler, cleaned the core and the base of the heatsink itself with alcohol AND put on some thermal paste with silver in it from my work.

I think that helped but it's still loud as all hell and not as cool as I'd like it. I guess I'm stuck. ?

KiwiNZ
May 8th, 2005, 09:35 PM
I am using a Zalman cooler and it is great . I have also added sound dampnening cloth in the case so my machine is very quiet .
The cloth took quite a while to put in but it is well worth it

psoleko
May 8th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Arthemys, If you really want lower temps with your Thermaltake...lap (http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/heatsinklappingguide.php) the heatsink for best results then apply something like Arctic Ceramique or Arctic Silver 5 if you prefer. Thats the best suggestion I can honestly give you seeing the problems you are having. It's very possible the your heatsink has an unven finish on the bottom causing loss of contact with the cpu in some areas, lapping will solve that.

Arthemys
May 8th, 2005, 11:00 PM
For my tastes at the moment my slightly lower temps are fine. I knew about polishing it, and I've considered it, but knowing my luck with something like this I would probably end up sanding too much in one spot and end up... angling the block of the heatsink causing a worse gap. I just used a 10% silver paste. There are other specs on the tube if that helps compare it to Arctic Silver.

Ok, looked up the information myself and the specs are a little embarassing but, it's what I have vs. standard zinc grease. So I chose the one with silver in it.

NightwishFreak
May 9th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Im a fan of thermaltake's gear, i my self have a Volcano 12 on my athlon 2400. i found it makes a huuuuge difference in CPU temp. although, i'm interested to check out some stuff by zalman...

Arthemys
May 12th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Recycled thought, come new again...
I'm under the impression that my case is just breathing it's own air, exhausts out the back, inhales it back in via the side intake fan.

Is this a valid thought?

vassalle
May 12th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Recycled thought, come new again...
I'm under the impression that my case is just breathing it's own air, exhausts out the back, inhales it back in via the side intake fan.

Is this a valid thought?
about ventilation, how big are ure fans ? ventilation in the case itself plays a big part in cpu temp. if u have a small case, small amount of fan slots and small fans, ull probably end up with high cpu temp regardless* of the heatsink ure using.
*=if there are differences, it will be small.

Arthemys
May 12th, 2005, 08:41 PM
120mm front intake with three speeds, always on high
120mm exhaust by the CPU, thermally controlled and not monitored
80mm intake on side door directly over CPU

Dual fan PSU from Enermax

That detailed enough?