PDA

View Full Version : A quick note to all who came before

andy_sp1ke
November 4th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Hi

I am a newbie to this forum having just downloaded Ubuntu this evening. Previously I have used Mandrake 9.2 which I replaced with version 10, then 4 months ago a wireless network meant I had to go back to XP. Until this point I liked Linux a lot but to be honest I think I liked using it because it was different. Anyway I am back at uni now where because wireless costs a bit of money and we had none we just trail cables over the house! So I thought I would try mandrake 10.1 from the front of Linux Format magazine and I liked it a lot, far more than Fedora Core 2, SUSE and earlier mandrakes I had played with.... Then I got bored again with in two days and certain things had been annoying me like it seemed a little sluggish and dare I say it, unstable. A couple of programs caused things things to grind to a halt. XKill would save the day but I couldnt log out after that....just little annoyances. Then I read a review about Ubuntu. I have had it running for a couple of hours and I like it a lot!! The forums here solved my intital issues about lacking C++ compilers etc and all the usual bits to let me install programs. I followed the instructions and it all works so far. Ubuntu also seems a lot quicker on my laptop than Mandrake.

So after setting the scene I would just like to say thank you to all the people in the linux community (Not just at Ubuntu but others to who may well browse here) for the help that is given to people like me who are experimenting and learning with Linux. It makes things a hell of a lot easier!

Well thats all I have to say about that now really! Just thought I would share the good vibes!

Andy

Artiom
November 4th, 2004, 09:56 PM
So after setting the scene I would just like to say thank you to all the people in the linux community (Not just at Ubuntu but others to who may well browse here) for the help that is given to people like me who are experimenting and learning with Linux. It makes things a hell of a lot easier!

same here :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jdodson
November 4th, 2004, 10:41 PM
right. ubuntu is really cool. i have a similar "i used to use fedora as a desktop." never again :-P

FLeiXiuS
November 5th, 2004, 04:40 AM
I've had a lot of fun with Ubuntu so far, its unique compared to the other distrobutions out there.

Linux's
Desktop: Ubuntu 4.10
Laptop(server): Fedora C2