PDA

View Full Version : Free Email Services

alecjw
December 24th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I was just wondering, what free E-mail services do people use? My guess is that most people use GMail, like me.

If anyone needs a GMail invite, just ask me.

_simon_
December 24th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I moved from hotmail due to it being un-reliable and signed up to Gmail when it was still Gmail and not Googlemail so I have a Gmail address.

The spam filter is great on Gmail, it catches 99.9% of spam without me having to "report as spam" so My Thunderbird inbox is spam free :)

I don't see any reason to ever have to change.

Chillee
December 24th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I started with hotmail just for messenger.
Then i did yahoo cause it was better for email, and i did need an account for games.
And finally gmail for cause its the best.

Now i have all at the same time.

AndyCooll
December 24th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I moved from hotmail due to it being un-reliable and signed up to Gmail when it was still Gmail and not Googlemail so I have a Gmail address.

The spam filter is great on Gmail, it catches 99.9% of spam without me having to "report as spam" so My Thunderbird inbox is spam free :)

Well, my email address goes to the same place whether I use the gmail (the one I tend to give out) or googlemail (the one it actually is) extension.

I switched for the same sort of reasons.

:cool:

basketcase
December 24th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Primary account is Gmail. I signed up for Hotmail because my friends were using MSN messenger, and I still use it for my parents only, as they can't seem to understand that I went to Gmail.

I have a yahoo account to use when I need to sign up for a trial or download a demo or something similar, basically a spam folder.

flapane
December 24th, 2006, 05:27 PM
gmail and jumpy.it

evolvedlight
December 24th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Primary account is Gmail. I signed up for Hotmail because my friends were using MSN messenger, and I still use it for my parents only, as they can't seem to understand that I went to Gmail.

I have a yahoo account to use when I need to sign up for a trial or download a demo or something similar, basically a spam folder.

You can use gmail address with hotmail

dbbolton
December 24th, 2006, 06:05 PM

word.

rowanparker
December 24th, 2006, 06:09 PM

I am in the same position as you.

Except I get an email titled something along the lines of "Cholesterol Breakthrough Experts" every week, or about shares or something, quite annoying.

alecjw
December 24th, 2006, 06:13 PM
I am in the same position as you.

Except I get an email titled something along the lines of "Cholesterol Breakthrough Experts" every week, or about shares or something, quite annoying.

For me it's usually:

Get a b1gger ****
L0se we1ght fa5t
or
Cheap 0EM software

rowanparker
December 24th, 2006, 07:05 PM
For me it's usually:

Get a b1gger ****
L0se we1ght fa5t
or
Cheap 0EM software
Yeah, I've had the last 2 but never the top one ;D

flapane
December 24th, 2006, 07:12 PM
For me it's usually:

Get a b1gger ****
L0se we1ght fa5t
or
Cheap 0EM software

and why not WIAGRA, V/AGRA & CYAL/S ?

rowanparker
December 24th, 2006, 08:13 PM
and why not WIAGRA, V/AGRA & CYAL/S ?
Oh I get them, just thats not spam ;)

Nah, only joking.

BWF89
December 24th, 2006, 08:23 PM
I use Google Mail.

I've noticed a new trend in spam. They'll make the subject something like "how was the vacation" and instead of putting the advertisement in text where it can be scanned and deemed spam they make it an image.

OldTimeTech
December 24th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I've had hotmail since it was in it's infancy and also use Gmail, of course one is for business and one is for all the newsletters and jokes I get :)

ChadMMc
December 24th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Besides my ISP boxes, I am using Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail (even though that account is pretty much inactive), Lycos Mail (3GB Storage and Unlimited(?) file size transfers), Excite Mail (The first mail account I ever had), ICQ Mail (28554285), and MyWay mail.

Hobbsee
December 25th, 2006, 07:19 AM
some gmail.

Mostly, www.fastmail.fm

These guys do IMAP!!!! Yay!!!

Fortunately, most things get emailed to my hobbseeATubuntuDOTcom or hobbseeATkubuntuDOTorg, so i can easily repoint those two.

In the process of migrating all my email and filters over to fastmail - nice and simple :)

It's just a small problem that there arent many good IMAP clients around, and the @ubuntu.com and @kubuntu.org emails seem to get spammed a lot :(

NeoLithium
December 25th, 2006, 07:37 AM
I use gmail for any of my online game stuff; and only really have my hotmail for MSN Messenger...come to think of it, I suppose I have a yahoo account since I have a YIM account; but I've never checked it. Heh, bet there's tons of spam in that thing...

RAV TUX
December 25th, 2006, 07:45 AM
I may be in the minority...have never liked Gmail...even when being issued about 100 accounts under @cafeubuntu.com

I use a premium e-mail service through Yahoo...(not the same as the free account)primary premium account free (or included) through verizon....

I use one email account for myself through the yahoo business account for jozef@cafeubuntu.com

I have never liked the gmail host for this...so I don't use it

my premium yahoo mail account is and always has been 100% spam free with NO google ad spam!

ihatethedekoys
December 25th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I use gmail for everyday emailing.

For more secret stuff I use riseup.net because I like their politics, and the fact that they won't hand over my emails to the FBI.

Stew2
December 25th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I have gmail and hotmail although I dont use hotmail anymore. I tried their "hotmail live" beta when it came out and it was so slow it was unusable. I got a gmail invite from a fellow ubuntuer and I really like it. Simple straightforward layout.

Regards,
Stew2

MedivhX
December 25th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I use GMail and Hotmail... I'm plaing to migrate from hotmail to Yahoo! Mail... I will of course keep and use GMail... I use MSN (hotmail) only for chatting...

ixus_123
December 25th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I use gmail via POP with Thunderbird.

The way Gmail does pop is a little weird but acceptable.

Lately I've been accessing my mail from lots of different computers so I may have to switch over to web mail over POP. I like all the extra stuff I can do with an email client though.

Thunderbird is client of choice becuase it's multiplatform. It would be nice if they had a button on Thunderbird that would tell it to look for user settings & mboxes in a USB key - then I could just take my USB key with me & have my mail (& archives) on every PC