PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know total cost of ownership?

Redlance
December 24th, 2006, 02:15 PM
on computers since PC XT and every year since?
im trying to figure out how much of a percentage cost (also adding inflation to costs to see in current dollars)
cost of OS.

im trying to show someone a point on a $500 USD computer that at LEAST 1/3 of its price is windows. and how that trend is continueing but google yeilded odd ball results. i know there must be a a place where thise is already done.. just searching year by year is yielding odd hit or miss results.

Stew2
December 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM
on computers since PC XT and every year since?
im trying to figure out how much of a percentage cost (also adding inflation to costs to see in current dollars)
cost of OS.

im trying to show someone a point on a $500 USD computer that at LEAST 1/3 of its price is windows. and how that trend is continueing but google yeilded odd ball results. i know there must be a a place where thise is already done.. just searching year by year is yielding odd hit or miss results.

I'm not too sure about the total cost of ownership but I know that you can buy an OEM version of Windows XP Home for less than $100 Cdn. I am also sure that the big manufacturers like dell, hp, etc. get a much better deal than that. So unless I am oversimplifying things (and I probably am :) ) the cost of Windows would be 1/5 or less of the price of a $500 computer.

Regards,
Stew2

Shay Stephens
December 24th, 2006, 03:27 PM
The computer store I typically buy from allows me to order a pc without windows xp. I save $70. And I am more than happy no matter how little it is compared to the retail price :-)

TooRight
December 24th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Shouldn't the cost of tech calls be included? In that case add another $50-150 per month to the cost, lol

meng
December 24th, 2006, 03:59 PM
TCO is like SCO ... full of ****
Insofar as the concept is valid, it really only applies to businesses not home users.

Redlance
December 24th, 2006, 04:06 PM
not the total cost of ownership as in the latest marketing hype but in real terms the total cost of getting a computer with operating system.
$ 100 timex sinclair
$ 330 for commie 64 and drive
$2,200 for my first 286
etc etc

$1500 for my amd64 with 2gigs and windows xp home (home buit xp costed me $200)

meng
December 24th, 2006, 04:17 PM
IMO, Linux experience is too variable between users, distros, system configurations, etc. to yield a readily calculated TCO. And many users consider any extra time spent setting up Linux to be not worth the cost savings compared to Windows.