PDA

View Full Version : Wanna 3d a retro game... help?!

tocleora
December 24th, 2006, 07:14 AM
I've always had this urge to see one of my favorite classic console games in a 3d environment. I would like to know what tools I should use that would be the easiest and fastest to learn to create this... I'd prefer not to have to spend a lot of time learning a new language or piece of software, I'd rather invest that time in the game. The quality of graphics can be as primitive as the original Wolfenstein 3D, it's obviously not something I want to market as I'm sure it would be complicated to get permission from the original creators. I have experience programming in BASIC (including QB and VB) and PHP. Please let me know everything I need, from creating the 3D world to whatever I would need to design the characters. Hopefully it's all available for Ubuntu... and free... :) Thanks in advance!

Wybiral
December 24th, 2006, 12:57 PM
For 3d modeling... Blender is simple amazing. If you know python, you can also make simple games with python.

For a graphics API, OpenGL is the way to go.

If you want BASIC + 3d, there's Basic4SDL (check my sig) and freeBasic which are both free and linux compatible.

But, for the most control, I would suggest SDL + OpenGL.

tocleora
December 24th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Ok, so I'm assuming I'm going the SDL + OpenGL path at this point. I found these instructions a while back:

http://ubuntu-gamedev.wikispaces.com/How-To+Setup+SDL+for+games+development

When installing all "libsdl" like it said, when I get to "libsdl-1.2dev" (which in synaptic is written "libsdl1.2-dev") I get this error:

libsdl1.2-dev:
Depends: libglu1-mesa-dev but it is not going to be installed or
libglu-dev

If I try to install libglu1-mesa-dev I get:

libglu1-mesa-dev:
Depends: libglu1-mesa (=6.4.1-0ubuntu8) but 6.5.1+cvs20060824 is to be installed
Depends: libgl1-mesa-dev but it is not going to be installed or
libgl-dev

I have build-essentials and g++ installed.

Any thoughts?

Wybiral
December 24th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Hmm, I'm not entirely sure. On my system I have:

Mesa:

libgl1-mesa-dev
libgl1-mesa-dri
libgl1-mesa-glx
libglu1-mesa
libglu1-mesa-dev

SDL:

libsdl1.2debian
libsdl1.2debian-alsa
libsdl-gfx1.2-4
libsdl-gfx1.2-4-dev
libsdl-image1.2
libsdl-image1.2-dev

And them some SDL network, font, and media stuff which isn't really important.

And everything installed just fine.

Those are really the most important packages for using OpenGL and SDL with C/C++ (unless I left something out, but I think I covered them)

BTW, both links in my sig are related to OpenGL development. If you like BASIC, Basic4SDL is an ubuntu-friendly interpreted BASIC language with SDL and OpenGL wrapping. Viper is an OpenGL toolkit for python and it only requires python and pyOpenGL to make games and stuff. Both of them come with examples too. Maybe worth a look to see some OpenGL code in action.

tocleora
December 25th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Ok I got it, I was using a csv version of one of the files and then turned off the respository that supplied it so dev was wanting an older version than I have installed. I'll post more later with my efforts from here...

protasenko
December 29th, 2006, 02:12 AM
I had exact same problem. Here's how it's fixed:
su
apt-get update
apt-get install --reinstall libglu1-mesa/edgy

At this point libsdl-dev shouldn't complain:
apt-get install libsdl-dev