PDA

View Full Version : MacBook... White or BlackBook?... decisions, decisions!

unlokia
December 24th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Hey people - I am just about to purchase a White Apple MacBook, and I thought it would be interesting to see peoples opinions on whether they favour the glossy white MacBook, in a typical white Apple signature colour, or the new matt black MacBook?.

Take a look and see what you think - maybe we can help prospective buyers to decide!.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h48/unlokia/macbook_white.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h48/unlokia/macbook_black.jpg

:D

Thanks

Apocalypse
December 24th, 2006, 01:15 AM
My vote is for the black one...

unlokia
December 24th, 2006, 01:20 AM
According to my Apple dealer, they attract grease and smudges VERY easily, the black ones. Makes sense!.

Patrick-Ruff
December 24th, 2006, 01:27 AM
dang . . . I don't know man . . . that black one is really /really/ nice.

Apocalypse
December 24th, 2006, 05:05 PM
According to my Apple dealer, they attract grease and smudges VERY easily, the black ones. Makes sense!.

I agree... but it's black, Margeeeee...=)

fuscia
December 24th, 2006, 05:08 PM
the black one looks like an old inspiron. get the white and use the money save for a case of wine.

smoker
December 24th, 2006, 05:37 PM
hme! i think you would get sick looking at the white one after a while,

anyway, isn't 'black' the new 'white', lol,

unlokia
December 24th, 2006, 06:17 PM
@smoker - no I wouldn't get at *all* sick of looking at white... I am sure I'd get sicker of looking at a MacBook that I knew looks like any other machine, by colour, *and* being fed up with that would only be compounded by knowing I was enough of a sucker to pay £90 *more* just for a *colour*!

anyway, isn't 'black' the new 'white', lol,

uhmmm.... no. Black is black, white is white, so don't get confused! :D

White is beautiful:

1/ White signifies Apple product design

2/ Whatever reasons and "maybes" are given, it is fact that black *will* attract fingerprints more than white. Have you thought about the microscopic, grease trapping pits within the matt surface?. Why do you think people generally choose *smooth* worktops in kitchens?... because they clean easier. The contrast of shiny greasy fingerprints, glistening in stark contrast against a dark background, is going to show up much more than *any* white *gloss surface!.

3/ Have you *ever* tried shopping for *black* Apple accessories??. I wish you all the best in finding them!.

I do wish people would think about the science behind the technology they are talking about - imagine a shiny WHITE grand piano, and then imagine a shiny *black* grand piano.... can you visualise that?... RIGHT!.

Scientific fact: White reflects light, black absorbs light. Therefore, if you have a fingerprint upon a black surface, most of the ambient light is going to be absorbed *except* for the greasy shiny fingerprint that you all speak of - that is going to *refelect* light back.

Now imagine picking up a shiny white gloss MacBook... so white and so shiny, that almost *all* light is reflected back off it. *Why* do you think the "sheep in a snowstorm" analogy is used so much?... objects made of white, surrounded by the same (or very close) colour, are going to be very hard to find, due to their reflections being camoflaged by the incredibly reflective surroundings (the colour white).

It is a VERY high contrast ratio between a nice shiny fingerprint, and a black surface, but the contrast between a shiny fingerprint and a shiny *white* surface is going to be almost undetectable, unless you looked *REALLY* closely at the surface.

In the same respect, if you scratched the *white* Macbook, you'd probably not even notice much, because you'd have a white scratch upon a white surface. I do wish people would *think* about such statements!. :D

smoker
December 24th, 2006, 07:32 PM
@smoker - no I wouldn't get at *all* sick of looking at white...

hme, sorry, unlokia, i shouldn't be making assumptions for others! i mean, it is me personally that'd probably get sick of the colour, but i'm not averse to changing colours as i see fit, so even if i got a white mac, i'd maybe end up painting it blue, black, or red, whatever, at a later date. probably sacrilege to some, i know, but what the hell, if it is mine, it is mine to do with as i please:-)

all that stuff about fingerprints, nasty things to have, but we have them, now if science could come up with grease-proof ones, now that would be a plus, and colour wouldn't really matter, maybe,lol

maybe i'm just rambling, not being serious, really, lol

hanzomon4
December 26th, 2006, 03:32 PM
The white looks better IMO.... It just looks Macish..

Donnut
December 26th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I actually own a white macbook, and I'm telling you, they ARE nice in black, but in white, they don't really show up smudges or scratches. I am not really easy on a notebook, either. (BTW I have an older macbook. One without the Intel Core Duo 2 inside)

macmatt
December 26th, 2006, 09:25 PM
White is obviously going to sell more - white is the "Apple colour" and this man is right - white doesn't get anywhere near as dirty as a black machine. Go figure it out - not rocket science guys!

wgscott
December 27th, 2006, 04:19 AM
I bought the black one. It is about a $150 surcharge for the color. But it looks nice and hasn't had the same reports of the plastic discoloration as the white ones are getting.

www.appledefects.com

macmatt
December 27th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I bought the black one. It is about a $150 surcharge for the color. But it looks nice and hasn't had the same reports of the plastic discoloration as the white ones are getting.

www.appledefects.com

I think that if you looked again, you'd find that was only a few of them, and they were the first generation, and not the current revision. All the teething problems have now been resolved.