PDA

View Full Version : do i need to download cygwin?

wannaBeHacker
December 23rd, 2006, 11:15 PM
Hey guys i have just recently converted to linux, and before that i was using a combo of eclipse and cygwin to program in opengl/c++

my question is do i need to download cygwin, or does linux (ubuntu) already have a compiler installed to program..

if so are there any additional software i need to download if so can you please list them..

if not... i should not have any problems downloading cygwin and eclipse right?

Thanks

qamelian
December 23rd, 2006, 11:23 PM
You definitely don't need to install cygwin and eclipse is already available in the Ubuntu repositories via apt-get, aptitude, synaptic, etc. You may, however, need to install the build-essential package as below:

Open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type at the prompt
sudo aptitude install build-essential

When prompted for a password, use your own account password. This will install the basic tools you need to start compiling stuff.

wannaBeHacker
December 23rd, 2006, 11:30 PM
thanks so much for your reply, im sorry for being stupid but can you please explain what you meant by
eclipse is already available in the Ubuntu repositories via apt-get, aptitude, synaptic, etc.

im not sure what you mean by repositories, and what are apt-get, aptitude, and synaptics. my programming lingo is not the best.

what about as far as opengl goes dont i need to installed the opengl libs such as opengl, glu, and glut? i used to use opengl32, glu32, glut32 but i know that was designed for windows.

lloyd mcclendon
December 23rd, 2006, 11:35 PM
do not use the package in the repositories, it's old and a pain in the ***

www.yoxos.com/ondemand is the best **** ever

and if you don't have java installed search this forum for automatix, it's the easiest way to get it

qamelian
December 24th, 2006, 12:14 AM
do not use the package in the repositories, it's old and a pain in the ***

www.yoxos.com/ondemand (http://www.yoxos.com/ondemand) is the best **** ever

and if you don't have java installed search this forum for automatix, it's the easiest way to get it
The version in the repositories is neither old nor a pain of any kind. The version in the edgy repositories is the same version as is available through yoxos. Both are 3.2.1.