PDA

View Full Version : Windows problem

The Joe
December 23rd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Although I would like to run Ubuntu on this computer, I can't I can only have it on my own bedroom computer. So as you'd expect, problems. I've been having some really annoying (and oddly stressful) problem with Windows. I'm running MCE (It was some sort of system from the council my dad got it from) and the screen keeps going black at random intervals, mostly when redraws and animations run, moving windows, opening the start menu, heavy content websites, etc. It's worse on Java programs like Limewire, every time I time I scroll down or switch to another tab, or really when I do anything the screen just goes black! I would move to Linux on this computer but unfortunately we're still under contract with it and not allowed to make alterations like this. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

scrooge_74
December 23rd, 2006, 08:38 PM
My advice use the live CD and then install it so you can dual boot

The Joe
December 23rd, 2006, 08:53 PM
I can't install Ubuntu on here.

A) It's the family computer, I'm the only GNU here.
B) Council contract

scrooge_74
December 23rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
You can either work from a usb stick, use DSL, or something like taht.

Only solution for Windows is to backup your data and wipe it out clean and then reisntall

sorry mate

The Joe
December 23rd, 2006, 09:05 PM
Problem is we never got the MCE Windows disk. We've already had the idea of re-installing it... Thanks anyway Mr Scrooge. (Sorry, couldn't resist using that:))

scrooge_74
December 24th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Merry Christmas and have fun reinstalling ;)

smoker
December 24th, 2006, 04:53 AM
sounds like it might be your graphics card that is not up to the job, or defective, maybe you should try reseating the card if it is pci or agp, if it has onboard graphics, maybe try a graphics card and see if any better.

if it is a council computer, their it people should be able to reinstall windows for you

hope this helps

The Joe
December 24th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Alright I benifited from this problem, it's going back to the council to be mended and I get my Kubutnu/Windows computer to replace it! I am now writing this message from Konqueror. Thanks anyway.