PDA

View Full Version : I tell you what is boring with linux...

yopnono
December 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Yep this is boring, that if you have gnome 2.14. And there is a bug or something in file-roller, then you can't just update the file-roller without updating a lot of other files, and that will break other functions. = you need to update the whole lot only for a single app.

And it's really hard to find standalone apps like you can to MS like winrar winzip etc,etc.

In MS you can just update the archiver you use.

(start flaming) :)

finalbeta
December 22nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
Nah, I totally agree, the fact you can't seem to use different versions of libraries at the same time is horrible. The repositories are a true limitation.

One of the reasons I came to Linux is that people kept saying it is great for software developing. But my god, windows is allot more fun if you need version X of lib a, and version Y of lib b.

ThrobbingBrain66
December 22nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
The repos also provide super-stable packages and a high level of security. It's been said many time all over these forums: If you're all about spankin' new packages, Ubuntu isn't the distro for you.

So your title should have read: "I'll tell you what's boring about Ubuntu..."

In any event, I'll take stability and security over unstable and insecure any day...isn't that why a lot of us moved away from Windows in the first place?

OffHand
December 22nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
I need more cowbell.

yopnono
December 22nd, 2006, 02:16 PM
The repos also provide super-stable packages and a high level of security. It's been said many time all over these forums: If you're all about spankin' new packages, Ubuntu isn't the distro for you.

In any event, I'll take stability and security over unstable and insecure any day...isn't that why a lot of us moved away from Windows in the first place?

Well yes but still, it's a pain when there is a bug in totem,file-roller,etc,etc and you can't fix it unless update the the whole system.

And it's not only ubuntu you can't use the gnome ver any ver desktop and just update some of the gnome apps.

yopnono
December 22nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
I need more cowbell.

Here you go.

ThrobbingBrain66
December 22nd, 2006, 02:39 PM
Well yes but still, it's a pain when there is a bug in totem,file-roller,etc,etc and you can't fix it unless update the the whole system.

And it's not only ubuntu you can't use the gnome ver any ver desktop and just update some of the gnome apps.

I could be wrong, but I believe some distros (not sure which ones, I've only ever used Ubuntu) get new package versions as soon as they are available.

prizrak
December 22nd, 2006, 03:00 PM
You can always use CLI to extract/compress files it's not that difficult actually. Some file managers (gnome-commander for example) come with a built extract/compress utility. They will all handle tar.gz and .zip files, .rar's might be an issue though I never tried.

Stone123
December 22nd, 2006, 03:22 PM
It's not about that its about reuse of existing functionalty. In windows you have applications that does some job and something extra like Word , but then you need something to convert those files into specific format you need to download more applications that do same job as Word and can convert file .

In linux programer can use those functionalies from existing programs, like Open office to convert files to pdf. So you dont need double functionaly. You can reuse and include exisitning programs in your writen program. If you use some beginers program that makes some funny visual effect you are stuck on your own. If that program uses Mysql to store data, mysql is affected by that program too.

Maby if prgramers start making more modular programs those reinstallation of whole lot if files can be skiped. Make one program that does its job and does it well // Morphix philosophy

Yossarian
December 22nd, 2006, 03:27 PM
There's a commandline unrar, but it only works with an old spec for RAR files.

I got WinRAR from filehippo and installed it with Wine, and it worked pretty well. I was using a version of Wine I got from the WineHQ (0.92 or something).

argie
December 22nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
Why don't you just get the binary packages, put them in your home folder and then use bash aliases and point the menus to that binary instead of the installed binary. Or get the source code and the source for all the dependencies and then skip the 'make install' step.

I wouldn't know how to make them read only version A of library X that you have in your home folder though. I'd like to know that, it'd be pretty cool.
EDIT: And err, that seems to be your problem. So much for paragraph 1.

yopnono
December 22nd, 2006, 03:50 PM
There's a commandline unrar, but it only works with an old spec for RAR files.

I got WinRAR from filehippo and installed it with Wine, and it worked pretty well. I was using a version of Wine I got from the WineHQ (0.92 or something).

No you can get the latest from rarsoft (command line) for linux, and as far as I know it support the latest archives.

rocknrolf77
December 22nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
You can also get new packages from www.getdeb.net I'm now using the latest build of Devede, Exaile etc. Packages for both dapper and edgy.

.t.
December 22nd, 2006, 05:28 PM
These are all advantages! Not having multiple versions of one library is definitely: why would you need to? As all the software is free and open source, applications can be built against new versions; you can take advantage of the functionality; and disk space isn't taken up with old files.
As a result, when there is a new package, all the others that depend on it are rebuilt, and you need to redownload them. Yes, this is a disadvantage for those with a slow internet connection, but the advantages that this brings far outweigh any disadvantage you can think of.

nmincone
December 22nd, 2006, 05:29 PM

Agreed.

Virogenesis
December 22nd, 2006, 05:30 PM
whats boring about windows is having all dlls together, its a breakage waiting to happen its like a program asks you if you need the dll, its like how the hell am i supposed to know.
So you leave it in and its just a file sitting there, or unneeded api's still being kept in the code so breakages don't happen.

God I hate that about windows.....start flaming..

ThrobbingBrain66
December 22nd, 2006, 05:40 PM
Agreed.

Though, personally, if I were to call Ubuntu boring, it would be because there are no antivirus and spyware apps to run and maintain.

Believe it or not, after I first switched to Ubuntu, I missed doing all that stuff...

patrick295767
December 22nd, 2006, 05:58 PM
Several non well made debs of edgy

Polygon
December 22nd, 2006, 07:50 PM
most times , upgrading libs would make the program and whatever else uses that lib more stable, right? isnt that the point of using dynamic linking , so that once one lib gets upgraded, that everything that uses it also benefits?

FaceorKneecaps
December 23rd, 2006, 12:21 AM
Exactly! Filehippo in xp used to tell me what free software to download, but there is not a site that tells me a `most used software\ in linux. I use qbittorrent,nicotine+, amork, thunar and gaim because i find it the best, but are they to me who runs ubuntu. I wish for a filehippo for linux. How hard could it be???????????????????

macogw
December 23rd, 2006, 01:39 AM
I could be wrong, but I believe some distros (not sure which ones, I've only ever used Ubuntu) get new package versions as soon as they are available.

Fedora Core tends to have very new versions of packages. Ubuntu tends to have rather old ones.

yopnono
December 23rd, 2006, 10:01 AM
Exactly! Filehippo in xp used to tell me what free software to download, but there is not a site that tells me a `most used software\ in linux. I use qbittorrent,nicotine+, amork, thunar and gaim because i find it the best, but are they to me who runs ubuntu. I wish for a filehippo for linux. How hard could it be???????????????????

http://www.gnomefiles.com/index.php
http://www.kde-apps.org/
http://linuxappfinder.com/

Reshin
December 23rd, 2006, 11:27 AM
Fedora Core tends to have very new versions of packages. Ubuntu tends to have rather old ones.

Difference being that fedora is more of testing platform :-k

zgornel
December 23rd, 2006, 01:58 PM
Linux users should compile more and complain less.

yopnono
December 23rd, 2006, 02:51 PM

Still you can't mix different ver of gnome. You can't take file-roller ver 2.17 and compile it for ver 2.14.

The point is that it's not easy to update a gnome app unless you update the whole lot.

nmincone
December 24th, 2006, 12:42 AM

This is probably the best quote I've read all year! Excellent.

WalmartSniperLX
December 24th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I need more cowbell.

HAHA wait isnt that from that one video spoof of "Dont fear the reaper"?

steven8
December 25th, 2006, 01:07 AM
HAHA wait isnt that from that one video spoof of "Dont fear the reaper"?

No, it's from a Saturday Night Live skit with Christopher Walken.

macogw
December 25th, 2006, 01:36 AM
most times , upgrading libs would make the program and whatever else uses that lib more stable, right? isnt that the point of using dynamic linking , so that once one lib gets upgraded, that everything that uses it also benefits?

Some apps require different versions. One may want Python 2.2 or earlier and another may want 2.3 or newer and if you have 2.3 the first will NOT work better because of the newer library. When Python gets rid of integer division (3/4=0) in 3.0, it'll probably break a lot of apps, so those will need 2.9 or earlier while newer apps will want 3.0 or later etc. to keep their math right.

ThrobbingBrain66
December 25th, 2006, 02:07 AM
No, it's from a Saturday Night Live skit with Christopher Walken.

...and my avatar. :D

steven8
December 26th, 2006, 12:02 AM
...and my avatar.

Man! I looked right past that!

Cynical
December 28th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Yep this is boring, that if you have gnome 2.14. And there is a bug or something in file-roller, then you can't just update the file-roller without updating a lot of other files, and that will break other functions. = you need to update the whole lot only for a single app.

And it's really hard to find standalone apps like you can to MS like winrar winzip etc,etc.

In MS you can just update the archiver you use.

(start flaming)

Thats because you are using an archiver tied to the gnome environment. A lot of apps depend on it being there. Have you tried xarchiver? If you installed that your problem wouldn't exist anymore. (Is that what you meant by a stand alone app? I have no trouble finding those)

yopnono
December 28th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Thats because you are using an archiver tied to the gnome environment. A lot of apps depend on it being there. Have you tried xarchiver? If you installed that your problem wouldn't exist anymore. (Is that what you meant by a stand alone app? I have no trouble finding those)

Yes I have tried the xarchiver and xarchive and non of them work flaw less. File-roller is the best, but... it's tied to gnome in a hard way.

Finding standalone apps are easier to find for ms than linux based.

FaceorKneecaps
January 4th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Ok. At this point I do understand the advantage of having a program divided into different folders and the community around it. But I also do mean that a program should not have to be compiled,
on the ground that every linux version is basically the same? Compilation? About time there where a program for this. aptget and pms can share the same source file. What else is missing?

FaceorKneecaps
May 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Finding standalone apps are easier to find for ms than linux based.

That is both a no and a yes. Because finding the best standalone program in windows is all about not beeing hacked, and finding the beste standalone linux program is all about what you can do. I totally agree on FileHippo, it's a wonderfull site that has no flaws. But then again every site for linux is flawless and cant do ****all of harm. And the design is terrible. I will not agree with you that apps are easialier found on any os, and the free designs are uglier. But where do we want to go? "I pose og sekk" is a nice Norwegian exspresion witch means "in both bag and sack", and that represent democracy for me. Try them both at the same time, and then you can judge on what you know. And in this early development, of eighter fangroup, not welcoming are results, cause flaws are dependent on evolution.

zmjjmz
May 3rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
You could always use Xarchiver.

Barrucadu
May 3rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Squeeze is a good archiver.

FaceorKneecaps
May 3rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
At least nothing is boring with linux...

Good names I'm gonna look into guys, but my girlfriend aint!

ssam
May 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Some apps require different versions. One may want Python 2.2 or earlier and another may want 2.3 or newer and if you have 2.3 the first will NOT work better because of the newer library. When Python gets rid of integer division (3/4=0) in 3.0, it'll probably break a lot of apps, so those will need 2.9 or earlier while newer apps will want 3.0 or later etc. to keep their math right.

not a great example, it is possible to have multiple pythons installed. also the is good backwards compatablity, anything that works in 2.2 should work in 2.5 (maybe appart from python modules written in C). 3.0 will break compatability, but i expect most distros will ship 2.6 and 3.0 together for several years.

it is more true with libraries. it is more work for the packages to ship multiple version. and it can be a pain to get things to compile and link to the version you want.

if you are willing to compile stuff manually (including all the dependancies). it should be possible to install what ever versions of things that you want. some distros make it easier to do this, eg gentoo.

with linux there is little reason to stick with old software. it costs nothing to upgrade. you don't have to worry that you scanner manufacturer will not make a new driver, to force you to buy a new scanner.