PDA

View Full Version : I am speaking to you from my wii

slimdog360
December 22nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
yeah you heard it here first folks. Im using the wii opera browser to talk to you. the only thing it needs is a keyboard as typing is a bit slow.

darrenm
December 22nd, 2006, 10:54 AM
Can I just say "Git!"

I pre-ordered mine 2nd October and I'm still waiting! Grrrr!!

steven8
December 22nd, 2006, 10:55 AM
That's cool, but the wrist strap on the keyboard would probably just break and the keyboard would go through your tv screen. :-)

slimdog360
December 22nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
That's cool, but the wrist strap on the keyboard would probably just break and the keyboard would go through your tv screen. :-)

i was afraid something like that might happen.

steven8
December 22nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Maybe the CAPSLOCK would help hold it in place. :-0

darrenm
December 22nd, 2006, 10:59 AM
I've played my friends Wii a bit and the whole remote strap breaking thing is rubbish. The console is awesome though :D

steven8
December 22nd, 2006, 11:04 AM
the whole remote strap breaking thing is rubbish.

That's what I figured. I assumed it was the users who were pathetic, not the Wii design!!

Randomskk
December 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
:D The wii browser is awesome. Based on opera 9, too:

Opera/9.00 (Nintendo Wii; U; ; 1309-9; en)

peak_performance
December 22nd, 2006, 12:32 PM
I'm missing some shortcuts like pgup and pgdown mapped to the d-pad, otherwise it's fine :)

Sewage
December 22nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
i'm really surprised that i like it as much as i do~ i'm relaxed on the couch surfing the web right now!

Stew2
December 22nd, 2006, 01:58 PM
This is definitely cool but I wonder if there is a way to make the text clearer without blowing it way up?:D

Regards,
Stew2

dbbolton
December 22nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
yeah you heard it here first folks. Im using the wii opera browser to talk to you. the only thing it needs is a keyboard as typing is a bit slow.
are you using the default os ?

robtotheb
December 23rd, 2006, 06:21 PM
Shame there is no flash 9 support for it but I'm loving it too so far.

Polygon
December 23rd, 2006, 07:12 PM
yeah, its the default wii operating system, he didnt install linux on it. It just got released yesterday (and how come no one cared when I posted this... lol)

i really hope that they do add usb cable keyboard support, would make typing a lot faster (they did a good job with the on screen keyboard though)

and the wrist strap thing IS NOT rubbish,as my brother broke his taking the wrist strap off of the little hook thing that is part of the nunchuck connector.... so it will break if enough force is applied (which obviously isnt much)

and i would also like to see in the wii browser:

url
ability to save pictures
mp3/sound support (dont really care about video)

banjobacon
December 23rd, 2006, 09:15 PM
I'm not a big fan of the browser. Text is too small, and zooming in shows only a small portion of the webpage, requiring constant scrolling.

It is useful for sites like Youtube and Google Video, though.

banjobacon
December 23rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Oh, and the broswer doesn't have a pop-up blocker. I found this put by going to abc.com, to see if I could use the Wii to watch episodes of Lost (I can't).

Busch
December 23rd, 2006, 09:18 PM
nice they got that impemented? i gotta try it with my Wii now

GuitarHero
December 23rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
im also posting from my wii. nice.

Vidar
December 24th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Yeah, working nice here too. :)

Just need to get my ordered Madcatz Component-cable so that I can do the whole 480p-thingymajig on my HD-TV.

Rackerz
December 24th, 2006, 02:01 AM
I want a Wii! There so bloody hard to get a hold of though :(.

Stew2
December 24th, 2006, 02:55 AM
I want a Wii! There so bloody hard to get a hold of though :(.

Still almost impossible to get here too! I got one because my nephew and his wife stood in line for 15 hours in -10 to -15 celcius temps with a 20 kmh wind to get one at Toys R Us. He knew I stood in line at the launch but missed out so he offered to get one for me (since there was 2 of them in line anyway). Pretty darn decent of them I think! He could have easily sold the spare machine for double. My wife spelled them off and brought them hot drinks while they waited. My nephew really wanted one to stand out in those temps for 15 hours. I couldn't have done it :D . Why cant they release these dang things in the summer?:D . I am sure that like the Xbox 360, they will probably be quite easy to come by after Christmas. Just hard to get right now because they are "the" hot Christmas present! I fluked out and got lucky otherwise I would still be wishing for one too. Good luck on the hunt, you will get one!

Regards,
Stew2

Polygon
December 24th, 2006, 03:54 AM
its only a trial browser, so a lot of features are not implemented yet, and im sure they will listen to the communities complaints and make adjustments accordingly

hoagie
December 26th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I just bought my own wii but how to you start the web browser, can't find it. I got it connected to the web but...
Any ideas?

Stew2
December 26th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I just bought my own wii but how to you start the web browser, can't find it. I got it connected to the web but...
Any ideas?

You have to go to the Wii Shop channel, in there you will find the browser software. After about a 3 to 5 minute download it will be installed on your Wii. Then when you go back to your channels screen you will see the internet channel. The browser doesn't have a regular start page like firefox though, instead you get a screen where you can enter a URL. Check out wiicade.com when you get it working, some neat games there :D . Have fun!

Regards,
Stew2

hoagie
December 26th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Hmm but when I got to accept the agreement in the Internet settings, I get a message the wii shop and wiiconnect24 is currently anaivalable. Or something like that.

Stew2
December 26th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I'll check mine and see if its working. Maybe the service is down? BRB

Edit: OK, I checked mine and the internet is working and the Wii Shop channel is working. Did your machine do two fairly large updates right after you got it connected to the internet? Mine did, I think it was updating its software.

Regards,
Stew2

hoagie
December 26th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Ok now it works fine, I downloaded the browser, hooray!
Wooohoo hail Wii!