PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded from Windows XP to Ubuntu

rbalfour
December 22nd, 2006, 08:09 AM
Okay here is my problem. Upgraded from Windows XP to Ubuntu a few weeks ago.
Now all the sudden my system boots up and I don't see a blue screen any more.
When I am surfing the web, I don't see a billion pop-ups and the system doesn't seem to slow down when surfing. I have been running my new system without Anti-virus, am I safe. When I was running Windows XP, I was told to install 3 anti-viruses / a pop-up stopper with malware blocker.

What could be the problem?

Note: I had to write this. I have a friend who REALLY thought all the problems with windows was standard. ROFL! :D

Bavo
December 22nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
It might look good and all, but don't believe that you won't have to pay a price for it.
The russian maffia (http://www.shelleytherepublican.com/2006/11/10/str-exclusive-interview-with-a-former-linux-hoster.aspx) is watching you :)

Tux Aubrey
December 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM
You obviously haven't had Ubuntu installed long enough. After four weeks you will be denied updates and security patches if you cannot prove who you are (by giving your credit card details) and that your copy is legal (you do have the receipt, don't you?). From that time on, every time you fail to verify your identity and proof of purchase, system performance degrades and you will loose features. Every week it gets worse and "things" will start to happen. Bad "things", annoying "things", dangerous "things". After about six months of this, Ubuntu becomes indistinguishable from Windows XP SP2. Oh, and the Russian mafia will visit.

Enjoy it while you can. You have been warned.

(Oh, and welcome!)