PDA

View Full Version : Suse has more officially supported packages than even ubuntu

ComplexNumber
December 22nd, 2006, 04:35 AM
i always thought that ubuntu has more packages in its repos than any other. i was wrong. ubuntu has "maximally 19,500" (click (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions)). suse has 22,000 officially supported packages (click (http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/bweber/entry/opensuse_package_search/))

Frak
December 22nd, 2006, 06:13 AM
and...
Just because SuSe has more packages, doesn't exactly make them better, or in fact more useful, one thing that makes Ubuntu's repos different from other distro's is that Ubuntu only supports packages that are going to be used, you wouldn't want to support a package that has a possible hundreds of thousands of users, to only be used by a couple hundred, and only really needed by some tens of those hundred.
It seems high, but what uses do those packages fulfill?
And not to mention, some of them not being used for legal reasons?
So in a way, the packages they have, are somewhere in the same range of Ubuntu's packages, when the usefulness and legality are concerned.

enopepsoo
December 22nd, 2006, 01:33 PM
2500 Is not a big difference. I bet Debian has more.

ComplexNumber
December 22nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
and...
Just because SuSe has more packages, doesn't exactly make them better, or in fact more useful, one thing that makes Ubuntu's repos different from other distro's is that Ubuntu only supports packages that are going to be used, you wouldn't want to support a package that has a possible hundreds of thousands of users, to only be used by a couple hundred, and only really needed by some tens of those hundred.
It seems high, but what uses do those packages fulfill?
And not to mention, some of them not being used for legal reasons?
So in a way, the packages they have, are somewhere in the same range of Ubuntu's packages, when the usefulness and legality are concerned.
i wasn't saying anything of the sort. one thing is for sure, though. in real terms, ubuntu only has about 8000-10000 packages because most of theose 19,500 packages are split up. ubuntu also has lots of obselete and really old packages in there that nobody ever uses (eg gpaint, etc). opensuse doesn't split them in the silly ways that ubuntu does, so in real terms, it has considerably more than 2,500 more packages.

23meg
December 22nd, 2006, 03:01 PM
ubuntu has "maximally 19,500" (click). suse has 22,000 officially supported packages I don't know about SUSE but the 19,500 figure for Ubuntu is wrong given the title, since that's made up for the most part by Universe and Multiverse, which aren't officially supported.

opensuse doesn't split them in the silly ways that ubuntu doesExamples?

ComplexNumber
December 22nd, 2006, 03:07 PM
I don't know about SUSE but the 19,500 figure for Ubuntu is wrong given the title, since that's made up for the most part by Universe and Multiverse, which aren't officially supported.there's only about 4,500 officially supported packages in ubuntu. opensuse has 22,000 offically supported packages. yes, even though the title is still true, its not the most apt for the subject matter. apologies.

Examples?look at most of the packages. for example, many multimedia packages such as smpeg0, smpeg1, smpeg2, etc. it ended up causing lots of dependency problems. that doesn't happen in fedora, suse, etc. it seems like a debian family problem.

raul_
December 22nd, 2006, 04:42 PM
then again, ubuntu is based on community support. I guess community support doesn't count as official

Frak
December 22nd, 2006, 05:16 PM
then again, ubuntu is based on community support. I guess community support doesn't count as official
Agreed