PDA

View Full Version : Which VoIP client do you prefer?

ciscosurfer
December 22nd, 2006, 12:53 AM
I've recently started using Gizmo as my VoIP client -- and I love it! Skype is great, but has some limitations. (So does Gizmo, but I digress). Ekiga Softphone, the one that comes bundled with Ubuntu, is okay, IMO and IME.

So, what say you? Tell me your favorite VoIP client/app and why you enjoy using it over other voice apps. :D

jdhore
December 22nd, 2006, 02:19 AM
I've recently started using Gizmo as my VoIP client -- and I love it! Skype is great, but has some limitations. (So does Gizmo, but I digress). Ekiga Softphone, the one that comes bundled with Ubuntu, is okay, IMO and IME.

So, what say you? Tell me your favorite VoIP client/app and why you enjoy using it over other voice apps. :D

i use Skype...it does have it's limitations...but free calls to anywhere in the US and most of the people i know who use any VoIP app use Skype, so it's the easiest way to get in touch with them...i think Skype for Linux is decent, but the UI REALLY needs the same overhaul the Windows 2.0/3.0 Skype versions got.

Somenoob
December 22nd, 2006, 02:40 AM
I prefer instant messaging and email for communication. But if VoIP was the only chocie it would be Skype.

ciscosurfer
December 22nd, 2006, 04:32 AM
i use Skype...it does have it's limitations...but free calls to anywhere in the US and most of the people i know who use any VoIP app use Skype, so it's the easiest way to get in touch with them...i think Skype for Linux is decent, but the UI REALLY needs the same overhaul the Windows 2.0/3.0 Skype versions got.You should have a look at Gizmo if you want a better UI. :D

3rdalbum
December 22nd, 2006, 04:49 AM
I like Skype's interface better than Gizmo's or Ekiga's. However, when I'm not using KDE I find that some of the windows appear underneath another, and no amount of clicking will raise them. Of course, there's no problem when I'm using KDE and kwin.

Littleweseth
December 22nd, 2006, 04:56 AM
Actually, I prefer Teamspeak. Only a few of my friends are enlightened enough to actually know what 'VoIP' stands for, and we prefer to have a giant four-way yak when working on a software project rather than a whole bunch of IM's and individual VoIP conversations all flying around.

hadiriazi
December 22nd, 2006, 07:58 AM
Skype vs. Gizmo UI? Hah! No comparison

Gizmo Project’s softphone already comes with some of the bells and whistles that you have to add to Skype. One-button call record, call mapping, voice mail, more intuitive chat, integrated weather info.

And the "eye candy" factor? Gizmo Project’s softphone is pretty. Lots of cool colors. Skype is pretty- ugly. Bland.

So Gizmo rules and works for me

Circus-Killer
December 24th, 2006, 06:10 PM
i said other, but it shoulda been neither cos i dont use/prefer any of them. i honestly feel that audio and video communication is seriously lacking in linux.

i would also like to see more effort put into applications like gaim to work with voice/video rather than the ones mentioned in the poll. just my opinion. :-k