PDA

View Full Version : Do you any strange mind tricks?

xyz
December 21st, 2006, 03:07 PM
Left Brain, Right Brain

Let's say you're sitting there watching the latest Ubuntu Desktop CD's download...so raise your right foot off the floor and start making clockwise circles. Simultaneously, start to draw the number "6" in the air with your right hand.
Your foot will change direction and you can't help it.

Do you know of any mind tricks?

Spif
December 21st, 2006, 03:26 PM
I must have the mind of a Jedi, because that trick didn't work on me 8)

shining
December 21st, 2006, 03:32 PM
I couldn't do both things simultaneously neither. But there are probably many similar coordination stuff which are hard to do. It doesn't mean it's impossible, does it?

robert@debian
December 21st, 2006, 03:39 PM
It's fascinating that we can't do such a simple trick.
I'll guess we have to update our firmware.

Looks like a bug :mrgreen:

shining
December 21st, 2006, 03:43 PM
It's fascinating that we can't do such a simple trick.
I'll guess we have to update our firmware.

Looks like a bug :mrgreen:

Maybe our brain doesn't have enough cores :p

fuscia
December 21st, 2006, 03:45 PM
Left Brain, Right Brain

Let's say you're sitting there watching the latest Ubuntu Desktop CD's download...so raise your right foot off the floor and start making clockwise circles. Simultaneously, start to draw the number "6" in the air with your right

wrong! as a sometimes conductor and really crappy drummer, i guess i've developed the ability to move one limb in one direction while moving another limb in another direction.

i taught myself to throw left-handed by throwing a ball with both hands at the same time.

xyz
December 21st, 2006, 03:46 PM
I must have the mind of a Jedi, because that trick didn't work on me
Oh well...some of us are just "higher beings", I guess!!

I couldn't do both things simultaneously neither.
I don't know but if I were you I'd go and see a shrink!! (kidding, of course!)

bigken
December 21st, 2006, 03:46 PM
I did this years ago with friends who are still trying :D

and for those who are asking yes it is impossible

xyz
December 21st, 2006, 03:49 PM
wrong! as a sometimes conductor and really crappy drummer, i guess i've developed the ability to move one limb in one direction while moving another limb in another direction.

i taught myself to throw left-handed by throwing a ball with both hands at the same time.

...and in what direction is your avatar moving? lol!!

eriqk
December 21st, 2006, 04:20 PM
These are not the mind tricks you are looking for.

Groet, Erik

hoagie
December 21st, 2006, 04:50 PM
Here's another one. Bring bot of your arms close to your chest.
Try to make clockwise circles with your right hand and anticlockwise with the other.

christhemonkey
December 21st, 2006, 04:53 PM
I can do the original posted mind trick but not yours hoagie!
Even after sitting and thinking about it, i could start it fine but then both hands drifted into doing the same direction.
Neh mind, another day maybe!

zanglang
December 22nd, 2006, 06:19 AM
Eh? Both of them didn't seem that hard to do.

A Singaporean friend was telling me about certain brain coordination tests recruits have to take to join the Air Force one other day. There's some pretty stringent requirements apparently, because they have to handle the joystick (trigger-thingy? Not sure of correct term) with one arm, another with controls, and both feet on some pedals... Harsh. So there's this thing you'll need to be able to do...

Hold up both hands. On one hand, make a V sign. That's the bunny. On the other make a gun sign. That's the hunter. Point the hunter towards the bunny and move towards it while moving the bunny away. Switch when the bunny reaches the far end / elbow length. Now do it really, really fast.

Now I can't do that. Try? :p

RAV TUX
December 22nd, 2006, 06:25 AM
Magic Eye:

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5752/3dmagiceyezn1.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9364/sinwq6.gif)

yabbadabbadont
December 22nd, 2006, 06:34 AM
Magic Eye:

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5752/3dmagiceyezn1.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9364/sinwq6.gif)

Cool shark. :oops: I gave that away didn't I? :lol:

BarfBag
December 22nd, 2006, 07:26 AM
Magic Eye:

*tiles as wallpaper*

yabbadabbadont
December 22nd, 2006, 08:00 AM
*tiles as wallpaper*

Wow. I wish I were your optometrist. (I would make a fortune :D)

steven8
December 22nd, 2006, 08:17 AM
My mind IS a strange trick. I made a guy throw up once with a mind trick. Of course, he was drunk at the time. Have any of you done the 'Going through the woods' trick on someone who is drunk?

slimdog360
December 22nd, 2006, 09:36 AM
I cant do it unless I really sit there and try har, but even then its difficult

yabbadabbadont
December 22nd, 2006, 10:17 AM
I cant do it unless I really sit there and try har, but even then its difficult

I just take off my glasses and move to about 12 inches from the screen and it jumps right out at me.

talbain
December 22nd, 2006, 10:23 AM
Oh well...some of us are just "higher beings", I guess!!

I don't know but if I were you I'd go and see a shrink!! (kidding, of course!)

Probably scientologists.

steven8
December 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
wow, am I out of practice. it took me a long time to see it.

hotbrainz
December 22nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
I think it is simply to do with defocussing your eyes and make them see in different directions. That way the brain imagines 3-d images which are not actually there.

steven8
December 22nd, 2006, 10:32 AM
That's just it. I know that. I had become quite good at seeing al lof these things. It's just been awhile since I've tried. :-)

christhemonkey
December 22nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
I have never been able to do them :(
I can sit an stare at one for hours though!

fuscia
December 22nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
...and in what direction is your avatar moving? lol!!

where does the king keep his army?

beercz
December 22nd, 2006, 11:34 PM
Left Brain, Right Brain

Let's say you're sitting there watching the latest Ubuntu Desktop CD's download...so raise your right foot off the floor and start making clockwise circles. Simultaneously, start to draw the number "6" in the air with your right hand.

Do you know of any mind tricks?

I find this easy if I draw the 6 in reverse :mrgreen:

beercz
December 22nd, 2006, 11:36 PM
Here's another one. Bring bot of your arms close to your chest.
Try to make clockwise circles with your right hand and anticlockwise with the other.

Easy!

djsroknrol
December 23rd, 2006, 02:03 AM
Do you mean like rub your stomach and pat your head at the same time?

xyz
January 5th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Do you mean like rub your stomach and pat your head at the same time?
Yes, I guess so.
Even I can do that one!!

azkehmm
January 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Magic Eye:

I was never able to see these suckers. I guess it comes from being colourblind, wind-eyed and having -3,-5 glasses. I mean, I'm lucky I'm allowed to drive a car with my glasses on.

steven8
January 5th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I mean, I'm lucky I'm allowed to drive a car with my glasses on.

I'd say, at your point, better to drive with them on than off.

With these Magic Eye things, it's not about color. They may seem like perfectly repititious patterns, but there are minutely subtle variations which, when they eye finally catches them, brings the shapes into the foreground, and pushes the rest into the back. Things is, once you find the object and see the illusion, it's bloody hard to go back to seeing the old way.

bastiegast
January 5th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I can do both tricks - with the rotating feet and hand - quite easily AS LONG as i make the movements at the same speed. I can't do one faster than the other. Well Ive played the drums but I never was very good at it.

ddaedalus
January 5th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I don't know, but somehow allof the above mind don't work on me. I am able to do anything in any direction. Yes it *IS* hard, but not impossible.

Or maybe I am just misunderstanding something badly.

xyz
January 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM
You may all know this one but it sure scares the hell out of me:
"The Jesus Optical Illusion Image"

Stare hard at the .gif for about a minute and then just look at the white wall nearest you...

adam-se-london
February 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Its a shark