PDA

View Full Version : we have live cds... why not live dvd's as well?

Polygon
December 20th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I just downloaded a knoppix dvd a while ago to see how kde was (and also to update from a older version of knoppix live cd) and then i started to wonder...

why doesnt ubuntu have live DVD's to go along with the live cd's? I read somewhere that stuff needs to be taken off the default installation of ubuntu just because of not enough space to fit the live cd / os on the cd, but if we had a live cd for people who has access to a dvd drive that they can boot from, a lot of that stuff can come as the default installtion, maybe even kubuntu / xubuntu / ubuntu all on the same dvd and you can choose which to install!

comments?

darkhatter
December 20th, 2006, 11:57 PM
that would be nice

spockrock
December 20th, 2006, 11:58 PM
that would be pretty snazz acctually .......

dbbolton
December 20th, 2006, 11:58 PM
from my understanding, the sabayon dvd is WAY better than the respective "mini edition" cd.

Polygon
December 21st, 2006, 01:11 AM
well obviously, because since they have to fit the operating system on there (which is much bigger then 700 mb, but i think its compressed. Imagine what they could fit on 4.7 gb compressed :D

darkhatter
December 21st, 2006, 01:14 AM
well obviously, because since they have to fit the operating system on there (which is much bigger then 700 mb, but i think its compressed. Imagine what they could fit on 4.7 gb compressed :D

the kitchen sink

RAV TUX
December 21st, 2006, 01:47 AM
I just downloaded a knoppix dvd a while ago to see how kde was (and also to update from a older version of knoppix live cd) and then i started to wonder...

why doesnt ubuntu have live DVD's to go along with the live cd's? I read somewhere that stuff needs to be taken off the default installation of ubuntu just because of not enough space to fit the live cd / os on the cd, but if we had a live cd for people who has access to a dvd drive that they can boot from, a lot of that stuff can come as the default installtion, maybe even kubuntu / xubuntu / ubuntu all on the same dvd and you can choose which to install!

comments?

Interesting question....my favorite "Live" DVD is Knoppix 8.0 GB "Maxi" DVD...I had KNOPPIX INSTALLED (Gnome desktop) for about 6 months and inspite of what they say...I found it more stable and reliable then both Debian and Ubuntu.....but that is just me.

Afterwards I would only look for live "DVD's" or install "DVD's". I personally feel Live CD's or even CD installs are a waste of time...

some other favorite distros on DVD are.....rpath which I had installed for about 2 months....and currently my primary OS which is Sabayon 3.2 which I installed the "Live" DVD install.....I personally would find the CD a waste of time....like I would any CD "live" or "install" distro....

This is a big mistake that Ubuntu needs to address....They are missing some people who simply will not try anything not available on a DVD.

RAV TUX
December 21st, 2006, 01:50 AM
from my understanding, the sabayon dvd is WAY better than the respective "mini edition" cd.

probably,...but for those with limiting hardware....CD's serve a purpose.