PDA

View Full Version : RSS question

dross
December 20th, 2006, 11:25 PM
For anyone who knows a bit about RSS, in the last 6 months or so, I've used the same handful of RSS threads in a few different readers (actually, in a few different instances of the same reader: Thunderbird)...with each new setup, the feeds are displayed differently...first, they were html, then plain text with just the first line of each article displayed, then they were plain text with the whole article displayed, with my most recent setup they are back to html again...its not really a big deal either way (although I'd prefer full article/flat text), but does anyone know if those settings written in the xml or can it be changed by the reader itself? Obviously, from my experience, I'm assuming its the reader, so I guess the real question is, how can I control this setting????

rfruth
December 20th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Ya can set feed properties in Tbird but you knew that, lately i've been using the Google reader it seems more flexible http://www.google.com/help/reader/faq.html

dross
December 20th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Maybe I'll give Google a try...I looked around in Thunderbird; if you right-click on the parent RSS folder, under "view settings for this account" there is an option to just load a text summary, as opposed to the whole webpage...I wish I could get the whole feed in text, but a summary and link are better than html...Thunderbird has enough of a drag loading those pages to remind me of what its like using windows ;)