PDA

View Full Version : Why Drake and not Duck?

meital
December 20th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Why did they choose to call ubuntu 6.06 "Dapper Drake" and not "Dapper Duck"?
i mean drake is the male form and duck is the female form, so why did they choose the male form?

women, i think they don't like us so much... :(

raul_
December 20th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I think that naming an Operating System "Duck" is just bad marketing :-k

PriceChild
December 20th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Personally I think a "Drake" sounds better and more intruiging than a plain old "Duck". Its just not something you hear every day.

I really don't think it was meant as an attack on women.

Pricey

Rui Pais
December 20th, 2006, 04:14 PM
i mean drake is the male form and duck is the female form, so why did they choose the male form?

i think the names of versions are chosen to be funny and a little... twisted on meaning/pronunciation, check here. (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames)

I fail to see is here you see the connection between women and (female) ducks...

matthew
December 20th, 2006, 06:09 PM
"Drake" also means "dragon." It isn't a reference to ducks or gender at all.

"Drake" comes from the Old English "draca" which comes from the Latin "draco" which comes from the Greek "δράκων, drákōn" all of which mean dragon.

haxer
December 20th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I didnt know that "drake" was english for male "duck" now when you say it i think that drake sound much better.. dont you? ;)

meital
December 20th, 2006, 07:50 PM
"Drake" also means "dragon." It isn't a reference to ducks or gender at all.

Are you sure that they wanted it to be like dragon and not like a male duck?
In the Code Name Suggestions Duck is written one place under Drake. I think that there IS a connection between those two.

I do think that they chose it because they wanted it to be a male. And that's insulting. And that doesn't help to bring more women to use ubuntu...

meng
December 20th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I don't see a nefarious agenda here, but perhaps in future it would be as well to steer clear of gender-loaded names. Even the word dapper is usually associated with men rather than women, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned THAT yet.

meital
December 20th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I don't see a nefarious agenda here, but perhaps in future it would be as well to steer clear of gender-loaded names. Even the word dapper is usually associated with men rather than women, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned THAT yet.
Yes, you're right. Gender shouldn't be involved in the names at all.
Since I don't know English that good, I didn't know that Dapper is associated with men so I didn't mention that...

DoctorMO
December 20th, 2006, 10:41 PM
your thinking of 'chap' not dapper, dapper is a southern English slang term for 'good, great, well made'

Drake means male duck, big deal. I don't complain when the word mermaid is used for male mermen, should be merlords really.

And then you get the daft thing with everything being known by the female noun, cow, duck, chicken, lamb. it's insulting to me as a man that I have to use female names!

no it's not really I'm just showing you how daft this thread looks.

meng
December 20th, 2006, 10:46 PM
your thinking of 'chap' not dapper, dapper is a southern English slang term for 'good, great, well made'
No, I'm thinking of "dapper". It's an adjective which is often used in conjunction with "gent", "gentleman" but rarely with "lady" or "lass". And from an online dictionary (Encarta)
dapˇper [ dáppər ]
adjective
Definition:
1. trim: describes a man who is neat and elegant in dress and manner
2. lively: alert and lively or brisk
3. nimble: small and active or nimble

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that gender is an issue with this name, but it's probably best to avoid the issue altogether in future.

DoctorMO
December 20th, 2006, 11:06 PM
no, I think the dictionary is wrong.

nalmeth
December 20th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I don't see a nefarious agenda here, but perhaps in future it would be as well to steer clear of gender-loaded names.Bingo

I think this is major nitpicking. Dapper Duck would not have been a good name for a Long term support release. It sounds silly. Drake has a more ambiguous meaning, and has some mystery to it. It sounds great.

Words are so easily misinterpreted, especially in the english language, case in point - Feisty Fawn might be spun into having feminine meanings.

Fawn
–noun 1.a young deer, esp. an unweaned one.
2.a light yellowish-brown color. –adjective
3.light yellowish-brown. –verb (used without object)
4.(of a doe) to bring forth young.

Though I would agree there could be more care taken to make sure future release names don't cause controversy, I don't think there was any direct intent to favor a more masculine name.

meng
December 20th, 2006, 11:35 PM
no, I think the dictionary is wrong.
You're joking, right? What about the (compact) Oxford:
adjective (of a man) neat in dress and appearance.

Perhaps you should publish your own dictionary. :D

Zyphrexi
December 20th, 2006, 11:42 PM
why do these kinds of threads keep getting made?

I mean it's a little insulting to the devs who worked their behinds off to make such a great distro, to accuse them of gender discrimination.

raul_
December 20th, 2006, 11:44 PM

I mean it's a little insulting to the devs who worked their behinds off to make such a great distro, to accuse them of gender discrimination.

I think it was made in an humorous way, not to mention the fact that it is in the Ubuntu Women section

Zyphrexi
December 20th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Ah, I rarely pay attention to what section I'm in, I usually just look and see if the topic interests me. I was curious why the question was being asked, honestly I've never thought much on it. (Although I like Dapper Drake better than Breezy Badger, Breezy makes it sound like he/she is naked or flatulent)

jpoRS
December 21st, 2006, 12:29 AM
I didn't really invest much thought in the name. Its just something easier to call it instead of 6.10

jim

enopepsoo
December 21st, 2006, 12:44 AM
Drake sounds cooler than duck! That is not to say that I don't think there is a cool sounding female animal name that starts with 'd.'

Fawn is definitely female though. And the feisty part is great. It is totally an evocative name if you've ever seen a deer run through a meadow. They are feisty!

Sef
December 21st, 2006, 12:55 AM
Fawn is definitely female though.

I disagree. Fawn is simply a young deer of either sex.

It's an adjective which is often used in conjunction with "gent", "gentleman" but rarely with "lady" or "lass".

Agreed.

cow, duck, chicken, lamb

Yes they could be of either sex. Lamb is a young sheep of either sex. Chicken is neutral; rooster if a male chicken is specified or hen is female chicken is specified.

Update: I moved this thread to Ubuntu Cafe since it really doesn't have anything to do about women and Ubuntu.

dbbolton
December 21st, 2006, 12:59 AM
http://starryskies.com/The_sky/constellations/draco.gif

Stew2
December 21st, 2006, 01:11 AM
Oh no!! The women are onto our evil plot for world domination.... we will have to switch tactics yet again! :D

Just kidding! :D

No really, I was just kidding! ;)

Regards,
Stew2

meital
December 21st, 2006, 07:16 AM
Drake sounds cooler than duck!
i think they both sound wierd and none of the sound cool XD

I didn't really invest much thought in the name. Its just something easier to call it instead of 6.10
i have no problems with the names...the problem is when gender is involved with the names.

look, i never ment to hurt the devs. i truely believe that they are doing a great job and i'm thankful fot that. since i like ubuntu so much, i really wanted to know why did they choose drake and not duck.
i opened this thread after i read the thread about Bug #2, and it just seems wierd that people want more women to use ubuntu, but they call it with masculine names. all i wanted is to show you how some women see this choice and that it can influence the amount of women using ubuntu.

steven8
December 21st, 2006, 07:21 AM

Drake means male duck, big deal. I don't complain when the word mermaid is used for male mermen, should be merlords really.

And then you get the daft thing with everything being known by the female noun, cow, duck, chicken, lamb. it's insulting to me as a man that I have to use female names!

no it's not really I'm just showing you how daft this thread looks.

Now. . .why did you say 'daft', instead of crazy?

RAV TUX
December 21st, 2006, 08:00 AM

It's like Cake or Death....which would you choose?

~LoKe
December 21st, 2006, 08:02 AM
Because if they had used "Duck" someone would have asked "why not use Drake, is Canonical sexist?".

It's a redundant question, when dealing with nearly the same word.

steven8
December 21st, 2006, 08:36 AM
It's like Cake or Death....which would you choose?

What kind of cake?

melancholeric
December 21st, 2006, 08:58 AM
What kind of death?

steven8
December 21st, 2006, 09:00 AM
Death by cake!!

Kujen
December 21st, 2006, 09:06 AM
May I just say, that people will complain about pretty much anything these days? There wouldn't be a complaint if the name was female oriented, would there? :p

Circus-Killer
December 21st, 2006, 09:07 AM
hey, look everybody! its donald's retarded inbred cousing, dapper duck!

just kidding, but drake does sound more sophisticated than duck.

EDIT: now that i think about it, donald is a guy, yet you call him a duck, go complain to disney and leave our devs alone (although donald drake could've made for a great spy cartoon) :D

meital
December 21st, 2006, 09:17 AM
May I just say, that people will complain about pretty much anything these days? There wouldn't be a complaint if the name was female oriented, would there? :p
But i didn't complain! I just asked why they chose drake and not duck!
I don't think that "because it sounds cooler" is a satisfying answer...

go complain to disney and leave our devs alone
i think it's a good idea! :D

raul_
December 21st, 2006, 11:43 AM
i opened this thread after i read the thread about Bug #2, and it just seems wierd that people want more women to use ubuntu, but they call it with masculine names. all i wanted is to show you how some women see this choice and that it can influence the amount of women using ubuntu.

Is Windows feminine? :-k That tacky green bar sure is masculine (??) :D Yet it doesn't stop men from using Windows.

I think that the name has nothing to do with it. I didn't even know drake was masculine for duck :S OS's should be judged by their value. Judging the name is just...well i'm sorry to say it but it's mean :neutral: I didn't hear any women complain that the pink Motorola's name was...well...a number. But then again, what do I know about it :rolleyes:

Old Pink
December 21st, 2006, 11:45 AM
"Dapper Duck" ??

That may have put me off Ubuntu! :|
English explorer and admiral who was the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe and who helped to defeat the Spanish Armada (1540-1596)^Another meaning of Drake. :rolleyes:

raul_
December 21st, 2006, 11:51 AM
In cricket, a duck denotes a batsman getting out for a score of zero and usually used in the saying "Out for a duck". Originally called a "duck's egg" because of the "0" shape in the scorebook.

:mrgreen:

Rui Pais
December 21st, 2006, 12:33 PM
I still fail to see the connection between women and ducks that meital seems to think is so obvious...

I still fail to see why meital seems to find that women are so incredible stupid that will not be capable of choose a product by the its quality or value and would be obfuscated by a version name with masculine form of an animal designation :shock:

English explorer and admiral who was the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe and who helped to defeat the Spanish Armada (1540-1596)

^Another meaning of Drake. :rolleyes:

Great. Now we will starting to have all spanish people protest against the name drake. It's obvious insulting at least against several countries!! (oops!! people are so strange this days, i'm must post i'm being ironic on this point...)

steven8
December 21st, 2006, 12:36 PM
Sir Francis Duck?!? :-O

Stew2
December 21st, 2006, 02:05 PM
I think this thread has pretty much outlived its usefulness ](*,)

Regards,
Stew2

matthew
December 21st, 2006, 02:17 PM
I think this thread has pretty much outlived its usefulness ](*,)

Regards,
Stew2So you think we should duck the issue?

/me runs away ducking and laughing.

meital
December 21st, 2006, 03:02 PM
I still fail to see the connection between women and ducks that meital seems to think is so obvious...

I still fail to see why meital seems to find that women are so incredible stupid that will not be capable of choose a product by the its quality or value and would be obfuscated by a version name with masculine form of an animal designation :shock:

I never ever said that women are stupid!!! i won't call myself stupid in public :rolleyes:

I was just wondering why they chose drake. that's all...

and to tell you the truth? it doesn't really bother me, but i am just curious...

matthew
December 21st, 2006, 03:17 PM
I was just wondering why they chose drake. that's all...but i am just curious...We've had some fun with this topic...now a serious answer to your question.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames

The names started with the first development version of Ubuntu, Warty Warthog, just as a joke. The idea amused the developers, especially Mark Shuttleworth, and so he has kept up with choosing silly names for each release.

There's more info on the page I linked to.

Rui Pais
December 21st, 2006, 03:28 PM
I never ever said that women are stupid!!! i won't call myself stupid in public :rolleyes:

and to tell you the truth? it doesn't really bother me, but i am just curious...

Please, i'm not saying that you call women stupid. I'm saying that if you pretend that some women will give up or keep away from a distro cause it have a twisted and obscured name as a vaguely masculine animal designation, is like you call her retarded or something.

The link that mathew post above (and i have posted on page 1 too), should have give you the answer.

Is something like you pretend to name it fast dog. Fast dog is banal, it will go to (random choose) hasty canine.
Another example, happy snail -> Effervescent escargot (edgy could be named as that, an fact that is more annoying for me then drake...)

meital
December 21st, 2006, 03:42 PM
We've had some fun with this topic...now a serious answer to your question.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames

The names started with the first development version of Ubuntu, Warty Warthog, just as a joke. The idea amused the developers, especially Mark Shuttleworth, and so he has kept up with choosing silly names for each release.

There's more info on the page I linked to.
ok now i understand why they chose the wierd names, but i still don't understand why they chose to use the male form?!?
i'm willing to accept that they didn't want to hurt women. but still...they must had a good reason not to choose duck...
i guess i won't find the answer for this :/

i guess that what's really bothers me in all this thing, is that they might chose drake because they knew that most of the users are male. and although this is true, it's annoying. for example when i write in linux forums, people tend to think that i'm a male. calling ubuntu with a male name is exactly the same. it's like totally ignoring the fact that women also using ubuntu...
(yes i know that what i just wrote sounds really stupid, but just think about it)

BLTicklemonster
December 21st, 2006, 03:44 PM
Everyone knows what a duck is, but not everyone knows what a drake is. Good thing they use uncommon words, as it makes people think.

... and we all know women can't think, so it's like what, a half dozen feminazis even know what a drake is? whoopee

(just kidding about the second part)

matthew
December 21st, 2006, 03:49 PM
i still don't understand why they chose to use the male form?!?

i'm willing to accept that they didn't want to hurt women. but still...they must had a good reason not to choose duck...

i guess that what's really bothers me in all this thing, is that they might chose drake because they knew that most of the users are male.I think you are reading far too much into something that is silly and trivial and not worthy of emotional attachment. Seriously, it's just a goofy amusement for a bunch of geeks. Absolutely nothing was meant by it, it was just a combination of words that Mark liked and nothing more. I seriously doubt he gave it more thought beyond whether it sounded good to his ears.

Circus-Killer
December 21st, 2006, 03:51 PM

how about dapper dyke? *whoops*..dapper duck, i meant dapper duck!

*run away* :lol:

(please dont take offense, im just playing)

matthew
December 21st, 2006, 03:56 PM
how about dapper dyke? *whoops*..dapper duck, i meant dapper duck!

*run away* :lol:

(please dont take offense, im just playing)Careful...that's pretty close to the line. :0

Maybe you meant something like "Dreamy Doe" so it can be beautiful and feminine as well? :)

Circus-Killer
December 21st, 2006, 03:59 PM
it was nothing more than a joke. i apolagise to those that took offense. :-#

EDIT: wahahahaha, thanks for shifting focus brazen :D

meital
December 21st, 2006, 04:03 PM
Maybe you meant something like "Dreamy Doe" so it can be beautiful and feminine as well? :)
Dreamy Doe actually sounds really good! :)

I just can't wait until we get to the 'T's so we can call it the Tasty ****!
i think it'll be a problem to use it since
The development codename of a release takes the form "Adjective Animal". and **** aren't really animels...i think.

it was nothing more than a joke. i apolagise to those that took offense.
it was funny ;)

edit:

I think you are reading far too much into something that is silly and trivial and not worthy of emotional attachment. Seriously, it's just a goofy amusement for a bunch of geeks. Absolutely nothing was meant by it, it was just a combination of words that Mark liked and nothing more. I seriously doubt he gave it more thought beyond whether it sounded good to his ears.
i can see your point. it sounds logical.

Circus-Killer
December 21st, 2006, 04:11 PM
thanks meital ;)

anyways, back to the topic hand. i honestly think they just chose drake instead of duck for two reasons:

1) its a less common word
2) dapper drake just sounds better than dapper duck, and risking being associated with donald.

and with the less common word reason, i think this is the main reason. i mean why did they choose eft. mainly because fools like me have no clue what an eft is. to me, eft is the sound of a silent fart. *eft*

(and some of those silent ones....boy are they edgy)

and like fawn, also totally uncommon. thats my point,, ill stop talking. over and out.

matthew
December 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM
the less common word reason, i think this is the main reason.I think this is dead on accurate.

BLTicklemonster
December 21st, 2006, 05:28 PM
... what the heck, why not?

TA DAAAAAA

raul_
December 21st, 2006, 05:29 PM
Daffy rules

"you're dethhhhhhhh-spicable"

beercz
December 21st, 2006, 06:14 PM
Dreamy Doe actually sounds really good! :)
i think it'll be a problem to use it since and **** aren't really animels...i think.

**** are birds - blue **** (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_tit) for example.

BLTicklemonster
December 21st, 2006, 06:27 PM

Riiiight, what should we expect, tantalizing tit (mouses) or something?

smoker
December 21st, 2006, 07:26 PM
why do some people always look for hidden meanings in everything. i can maybe see some women complaining if the next update was 'misogynist mackeral' but really what can possibly be offensive about 'dapper drake'

maybe we can please everyone with 'hermaphrodite hamster!'

i don't really care what it is called as long as it is a good os

Circus-Killer
December 21st, 2006, 07:33 PM

theres also the great tit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_tit).

BLTicklemonster
December 21st, 2006, 07:56 PM
Le sigh.

Man, there's enough material here for a great couple of paragraphs, but I'll be civilized and leave this alone.

sanderella
December 21st, 2006, 08:33 PM
How about Gertrude Goose?
Lotte Lamb
Margaret Merganser
Norah Newt
Ophelia Orangutang
Patricia Peahen

etc etc

~LoKe
December 21st, 2006, 09:22 PM
Because the first word in the name is a feeling or mood.

patrick295767
December 21st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Personally I think a "Drake" sounds better and more intruiging than a plain old "Duck". Its just not something you hear every day.

I really don't think it was meant as an attack on women.

Pricey

Imagine next release:

Ubuntu Rabbit or Ubuntu Chicken ...

Sounds great name, isnt it ?? :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

ComplexNumber
December 21st, 2006, 09:30 PM

as some people have said, it isn't really connected with gender favouritsm of any means. i think drake is a better sounding name, and i think they did the right thing not calling it duck. duck sounds a bit silly.
in some parts of the UK, people call each other "duck" (eg "how ya doin', duck") in the same way as some people use the words "mate","love", or "man" at the end of every sentence....and its very irritating.

BLTicklemonster
December 21st, 2006, 11:03 PM
Gregarious Giraffe?

Gargantuan Gerbil? (alright fellows, calm down, there's no such thing, so put the toilet paper rolls away) huh. gargantuan isn't a mood anyway, sorry.

Gleeful Gnat?

ComplexNumber
December 22nd, 2006, 12:08 AM
gargantuan isn't a mood anyway, sorry.
thats right. its an icon set for gnome :D. click. (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=24364)

Stew2
December 22nd, 2006, 02:45 AM
So you think we should duck the issue?

/me runs away ducking and laughing.

Doh! You got me good on that one matthew! :D Guess that would make us Duck Dodgers! :D

Regards,
Stew2