PDA

View Full Version : SFTP in Ubuntu?

Aleksandersen
December 20th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Hi,

Is it possible to use SFTP (http://ask.com/web?q=SFTP) in any FTP clients in Ubuntu? Does GFTP support it? Any other clients?

frodon
December 20th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I believe gFTP support it http://gftp.seul.org/ in its latest version, anyway if you use firefox there's an extention called fireFTP which is an FTP client with support for almost all the existing FTP protocols.
BTW, when you say SFTP, do you mean FTP with TLS/SSL encryption or FTP over SSH ?

raggari
December 20th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Ary you sure about Fireftp support?

From FAQ:
When will FireFTP support SFTP or SSH?
Oh, man. Maybe one day. I think I'm saving it for FireFTP 2.0...and I'm not even at 1.0 yet!

frodon
December 20th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I'm using it with firefox 2.0 and FTP with TLS/SSL encryption without any problem, i haven't tested FTP over SSH but i believe saw the option in the connection menu.

EDIT: indeed i seems that there's no options for FTP over SSH

Aleksandersen
December 20th, 2006, 01:31 PM
BTW, when you say SFTP, do you mean FTP with TLS/SSL encryption or FTP over SSH ?
Oh, I don't really know... ^^

Whatever that works and is more secure than FTP.

I cannot see an SFTP option in GFTP. Hovewer I see an SSH2 optioin, but I cannot select it.

frodon
December 20th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Yes the gFTP in the repositories don't support FTP with TLS/SSL encryption that's why i use fireFTP instead.
About security, both FTP with TLS/SSL encryption and FTP over SSH are secure, both encrypt the username/password and the datas sent so both are good to use.

Aleksandersen
December 20th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Hm, OK. Thanks for the clarification!

Why does not the repository version of GFTP support secure connections? It see that it is the same version number as on the project's Website.

Does anyone happen to know whether I can use one of the more secure FTP protocols with a GoDaddy Apache (Linux) hosting plan (https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?se=%2B&ci=260)? I tried looking in their support section, but could not find any information about it.

AgenT
December 20th, 2006, 01:53 PM
You already have an sftp client installed on your system by default. It is called sftp (surprise!).

For more information, type:

man sftpBut maybe you are talking about a different kind of sftp. In that case, open up the package manager Synaptic and search for ftp using only the "name" option. You will find about 10 clients to choose from.

If you want a really advanced ftp client with ssh support, try lftp.

If you want just a simple sftp connection without anything advanced, try the built in GNOME network connect at Places -> Connect to Server -> Other option and type in the address like so:

sftp://username@server

Aleksandersen
December 22nd, 2006, 01:38 AM
Oh, never mind. I just had an e-mail discussion with GoDaddy. Apparently they consider it a security risk to allow users to access their accounts via secure FTP connections. There goes that idea...