PDA

View Full Version : The only thing I miss from Windows

WalmartSniperLX
December 20th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Is gaming... other than that I don't miss a single thing. Then again I have an Xbox for games :D

What about you?

tubasoldier
December 20th, 2006, 07:16 AM
A decent music composition program. I'm not talking about the half functioning sequencer-centric RoseGarden or the barely usable NoteEdit. I mean I really miss having a good music composition program. I need to put in notes, get them played back, and have a phenominal looking printout of the music. LilyPond typesetting is working for me right now.

slimdog360
December 20th, 2006, 07:16 AM
The little paper clip that pops up every five minutes. Also the American language for the spell check even when you set it to Australian. Thats really fun stuff.

WalmartSniperLX
December 20th, 2006, 07:23 AM
A decent music composition program. I'm not talking about the half functioning sequencer-centric RoseGarden or the barely usable NoteEdit. I mean I really miss having a good music composition program. I need to put in notes, get them played back, and have a phenominal looking printout of the music. LilyPond typesetting is working for me right now.

Do you play an instruments? That sounds pretty cool.

WalmartSniperLX
December 20th, 2006, 07:24 AM
The little paper clip that pops up every five minutes. Also the American language for the spell check even when you set it to Australian. Thats really fun stuff.

That paper clip was awesome :D I still get to see him when Im working on the computers at school :D

PurplePenguin
December 20th, 2006, 07:40 AM
That paper clip was awesome :D I still get to see him when Im working on the computers at school :D

Maybe we can figure out some way to get the paper clip working with Wine. :mrgreen: <jk>

spockrock
December 20th, 2006, 07:47 AM
or we cant start the 'free the paper clip' campaign and make the paper clip, free???

steven8
December 20th, 2006, 07:56 AM
or we cant start the 'free the paper clip' campaign and make the paper clip, free???

Wait a minute!! You've solved the Ubuntu mascot issue!! A cross between the penguin and a paper clip. A penguinclip!!

Brilliant!!

spockrock
December 20th, 2006, 08:02 AM
I dont want to alarm the board but I think we are infringing on a ms patient.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/redemma/personal/mspatent.jpg

also sorry, about the screenshot, snow was enabled in beryl.... >_<...but I dunno why it was snowing over the window when I have that disabled....:s

yabbadabbadont
December 20th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Actually, there is a linux version of clippy either on freshmeat or sourceforge, can't remember which at the moment. They guy did it just as a joke.

spockrock
December 20th, 2006, 08:12 AM
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=24553

its vi with the paper clip

sweemeng
December 20th, 2006, 09:36 AM
BSOD?

malware?

LookTJ
December 20th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I miss absolutely nothing. Ubuntu Linux has what I need.

Circus-Killer
December 20th, 2006, 09:52 AM
i must agree with the gaming post. its the only thing i miss.

first there are the two favorite games i own, namely "splinter cell" and "rome: total war". the sad thing is i barely had a chance to play them before i decided to stop dual-booting (used to dual-boot just for games).

there are also two really awsome online games that i miss, those are "gunbound" and "shot-online". both are completely awsome, wish they would make linux clients. i would honestly go back to playing them all the time if they did.

this to me is the only downfall for linux, and the only thing that urges me to go back, but i never will, not for just games.

tubasoldier
December 20th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Do you play an instruments? That sounds pretty cool.

Yes, I do play instruments. And I have always been appalled by software that try to pass itself off as a Music Notation Program.

RoseGarden is a great sequencer but that is it.
NoteEdit is on the right track but far from usable. There are too many features missing that are needed to really write music. And the rest of the features have a lot of bugs.
Midi in Linux just plain sucks! Despite what people may think midi is not outdated as far as musicians are concerned. Good thing I have a good soundcard to load soundfonts.

Oh yeah, I left windows before that whole WGA thing. I guess I would miss that too.

darrenm
December 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Do miss gaming a little but hopefully a Wii should sort that right out.

PC gaming will be dead within a few years.

iPirates
December 20th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Yea, PC gaming's kinda getting swallowed by console gaming.... plus, gaming on the computer means expensive upgrades :(
and constant upgrading! (too many bugs)

3rdalbum
December 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I didn't come from Windows, but I came from Mac OS. I miss not having a feature-filled and reliable audio/MIDI sequencing program... and unfortunately MIDI and audio support in Linux are not up to Mac OS standards.

DoctorMO
December 20th, 2006, 12:29 PM
3rdalbum, tubasoldier, If I we're you I would get together and decide on what your ideal programs should be. there is not reason for a passive involvement. if your confident that you can design something that fits the needs of midi/note people then go for it; at least with a mock ups and a structured idea programmers will be able to do more about it.

To be honest midi is easy in linux because the port is very accessable.

Cyvros
December 20th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I always wondered about how those would stand up - I've never used them yet. Under Windows, I normally use NoteWorthy Composer or Sibelius, and there's definitely no Linux port for the latter - it's in the site FAQ and everything.

Gits.

AndyCooll
December 20th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I don't actually miss anything from *******.

I need to qualify that though. I play Football Manager and have never been able to get it working with Wine, so I run it using an XP VMware image. I'd miss that if I didn't have that as a workaround.

:cool:

WalmartSniperLX
December 20th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Wait a minute!! You've solved the Ubuntu mascot issue!! A cross between the penguin and a paper clip. A penguinclip!!

Brilliant!!

:D hahaha that is genius

dbbolton
December 20th, 2006, 04:01 PM
printers, macromedia programs, multitrack recorders

'bout it.

Burgresso
December 20th, 2006, 04:08 PM

LOL! I'm in America and can't get mine off of the UK spell checker!

MetalMusicAddict
December 20th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Maybe look at MuseScore (http://mscore.sourceforge.net/index.php).

raul_
December 20th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I don't actually miss anything from *******.

I need to qualify that though. I play Football Manager and have never been able to get it working with Wine, so I run it using an XP VMware image. I'd miss that if I didn't have that as a workaround.

Try changing to Windows 98 in winecfg...it worked for me.

I miss the pop-up at 3AM (when i'm sleeping) saying that the computer will restart automatically in 5 minutes in order to install the updates and screwing up my downloads

WalmartSniperLX
December 20th, 2006, 04:24 PM

I miss the pop-up at 3AM (when i'm sleeping) saying that the computer will restart automatically in 5 minutes in order to install the updates and screwing up my downloads

haha I forgot all about that! I miss it now that you brought it to my attention ;)

ArtechnikA
December 20th, 2006, 04:26 PM
1) A database IDE like Access. Say what you will about the limitations of Access, and I understand them, Linux will never be a business desktop mainstay until an alternative to this tool is available.

2) scanner support. my Linux box is running XP today because I need the HP 4600 Scanner that the SANE project simply says is "unsupported." I could go buy another scanner - but wasn't one of Lunix' strong points that you don't have to go buy new hardware with every new release?

I miss my CAD program too, but that was a DOS app that never ran in Windows anyway...

lyceum
December 20th, 2006, 06:28 PM

Me to. I am still trying to find the right program for music. I was using Progect 5 which is just great! I have to say that it was the best $300 I ever spent, and I would gladly shell out another $300 for a FOSS version just as good. At this point I am waiting for the Ubuntu Studio to be finished and I will start playing around with music making again then.

I also thing the art programs, even GIMP, have some room to grow. It seem like the problem is that some people just use free and when they get the $$'s they switch. I wish they would invest that money into FOSS to keep things moving faster.

ButteBlues
December 20th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Photoshop CS2 and Finale.

jclmusic
December 20th, 2006, 10:42 PM
i agree with the musicheads (i'm 1 too :)). we need an equivalent or port of reason and pro tools.

daniminas
December 20th, 2006, 11:40 PM
yep, exists games for Ubuntu/Debian/Linux.... but not at the same level of Windows... and its because the games industry... they aren't interested in produce linux quality games.. :(

AndyCooll
December 20th, 2006, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the advice, however I've tried that. Indeed I've followed most of the ideas suggested in the FM thread in the Gaming forum. Perhaps I'll have another go sometime soon ...and with a bit more conviction!

nalmeth
December 20th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I've had difficulties with RoseGarden, but if I was interested enough to use RoseGarden all the time (I don't really need it), then I think I could iron out all the problems.

I've sadly abandoned my old piano ways (hopefully not for good), and for the last few years have taken a more down to earth attitude with music. I find more fulfillment dealing directly with AUDIO and sound out of an instrument. I used to get such frustration from 'serious' composition and music.

For the composition I do, I just print out music sheets and do it by hand. I haven't found a perfect composition tool either, though I'm not feverishly looking.

http://canorus.berlios.de/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Less visually impressive, seems still young, but maybe offers you something others don't.
http://wired.epitech.net/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
I have my eye on this one. I can't tell from their page what its composition abilities are. They claim to employ them. Anyway, it does seem like a rosegarden clone...

I hope you find a more comfortable composition tool in linux :)

Oh, and I can't seem to think of anything I miss from Windows. Maybe Duke3D. I don't miss it enough to try the various emulation options out there though, so its no biggie.

nmincone
December 21st, 2006, 12:00 AM
Prob reliable hibernation/suspension on my laptop. Nokia sync (not blue tooth compatible only IRda), not much else though.

enopepsoo
December 21st, 2006, 12:50 AM
I miss the smug feeling I used to get when I told people 'that's right, I run Windows and I don't even have any viruses, and my system is relatively stable!' They all thought I was a computing GOD with incredible skills.

Then I got a virus, so here I am!

McLogic
February 15th, 2007, 11:26 PM
In order of how often they irritate me:

1) no working phone sync
-> This is basic, and Apple showed that it can be done well w/o phone company help

2) no video & voice IM (at least not ones that other people use)
-> while everyone else uses skype or gtalk, I have to make the team use a conference bridge
:mad:

3) VGA/CRT switching on my laptop -- display settings are a super-duper pain in the azz
-> 855crt and others have not worked on my Dell 700m, I have to re-start the window manager and usually just boot windows

4) OpenOffice calc (the spreadsheet) only supports 65k lines (newer MS office has no line limit)
-> This causes huge trouble, and makes FOSS look not-ready-for-business

5) OpenOffice writer has the most rigid mail merge you have ever seen
-> This is broken, and it was the last straw for Jorge Castro (of whiprush.org), a noted developer. After it failed him over and over he QUIT being an Ubuntu dev or even a Linux usr. It was childish, but it happened.
:confused:

Minyaliel
February 16th, 2007, 12:03 AM
A working WLAN card, Age of Empires (laugh as much as you like) and decent midi/ music programs

aktiwers
February 16th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I miss blaming the OS when **** happends, instead of my self on Linux :(

aktiwers
February 16th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Why cant I say ****? Everybody takes a **** now and then?

Minyaliel
February 16th, 2007, 12:10 AM
lol. Actually, you've got a point... damn Linux... ;)

timcredible
February 16th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Is gaming... other than that I don't miss a single thing. Then again I have an Xbox for games :D

What about you?

i use linux for all my gaming - it's a ps3, and it's great. no need for windows for gaming.

GFree
February 16th, 2007, 12:19 AM
i use linux for all my gaming - it's a ps3, and it's great. no need for windows for gaming.
Doesn't help when you're a predominately FPS gamer. First person shooters on a console are so lacking in finess.

Besides, it's a Sony, and I thought everyone hated Sony for their rootkit incident and more.