PDA

View Full Version : Gnome File Managers

Xceptiona1
December 19th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I just read an article on linux.com on a 'survey of linux file managers' I really hadn't thought much about it until the article brought it up. I'm relatively new to the linux world and was wondering, other than Nautilus, what other gnome-based file managers are there and does anyone change it out with the default? and why?

gjtoth
December 19th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I just read an article on linux.com on a 'survey of linux file managers' I really hadn't thought much about it until the article brought it up. I'm relatively new to the linux world and was wondering, other than Nautilus, what other gnome-based file managers are there and does anyone change it out with the default? and why?

There's TONS of 'em out there! Thunar, Gnome Commander, Midnight Commander are three of the more popular ones out there.

My two favorites are Thunar and Gnome Commander. I like Thunar because I'm a recovering M$ user and it's pretty close to the Explorer. But, I my REAL workhorse is Gnome Commander. It's a beefed-up Linux version of the old Norton Commander.

Super King
December 19th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Thunar is the default file manager for Xubuntu (which uses the XFCE desktop). It doesn't have a whole lot of features but it is very good looking and much faster than Nautilus in terms of transferring files around.

earobinson
December 19th, 2006, 08:46 PM
thunar also here, (but then also xubuntu user) but thunar will run fine under gnome!
sudo apt-get install thunar

thomashauk
December 19th, 2006, 09:05 PM
There's also Rox filer which is get out-the-way ish

And Emelfm2 (Go to their website and get the 6.06 package, it works on edgy too). Which is another norton comander style.