PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What is Ubuntu about? What is/should the desine team shoot for? What are its

<<joe>>
December 19th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Ubuntu . . . a great Linux distro, an achievement by the Linux community for all to use and shear.
But what is the goal of all the designers and programmers and artists that contribute to Ubuntu?

I ask this because of the long winded explanation this guy got from who knows who about a res enable suggestion. sounded like some thing you would hear from micro soft, check it out
Http://bugs.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-sounds/+bug/72143

Any way i thought that Ubuntu was trying to make a OS that was friendly and easy to use that user would like. The user suggested a good point if ubuntu would like to expand maybe some constancy would be a good thing(the sound at startup should remain with new releases), because Humans like constancy and Ubuntu is Linux for Human beings.

pay
December 19th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Any way i thought that Ubuntu was trying to make a OS that was friendly and easy to use that user would like.I think that pretty much sums it up.

<<joe>>
December 19th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Please read what the link points to it really wird i dont know if it was an oficall ubuntu guy righting back but it was wird sound like a very large co. we know and i dare not uder the words.

tbroderick
December 19th, 2006, 06:09 AM
I ask this because of the long winded explanation this guy got from who knows who about a res enable suggestion. sounded like some thing you would hear from micro soft, check it out
Http://bugs.launchpad.net/distros/ub...nds/+bug/72143

You mean that Mark Shuttleworth guy?

<<joe>>
December 19th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Just looked in to who the respoder was

Wiki: TroySobotka
IRC: troy_s on network irc.freenode.net
Jabber: aphorism@jabber.org
OpenPGP keys: C3C41E34
Team memberships

Troy James Sobotka is a member of:

* Ubun2 Design Development (Administrator)
* Ubuntu Artwork Team (Administrator)
* Ubuntu Desktop Bugs (Approved)

so he rights well

umm very wordy dosent seem "frank"

i dont know could be a great guy!! but just seem werd and unhuman --> "unUbuntu" in his righting

<<joe>>
December 19th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Mark Shuttleworth
no he seems human anuf, but very wordy at the same time, but not so bad
Just the howl feel of the post from pepole on desine teams not what i would have expectied from Linux for humans

aysiu
December 19th, 2006, 06:17 AM
I read all the comments in that "bug," and I thought all the responses were very open-minded and gentle, especially Mark Shuttleworth's.

What's the problem here?

If you really want consistency, I think you should go for Debian. Consistency is not human. To err is human.

<<joe>>
December 19th, 2006, 06:20 AM
But any way what i really wanted this post to be about was: What is ubuntus goals?
as viewed by the users and the ppl not codeing, and desineing.

tbroderick
December 19th, 2006, 06:26 AM
But any way what i really wanted this post to be about was: What is ubuntus goals?
as viewed by the users and the ppl not codeing, and desineing.

Every person has different goals/needs for an OS.

aysiu
December 19th, 2006, 06:26 AM
I don't see how the users can have goals... we're not the ones creating Ubuntu. Ubuntu's main goal is to take care of Bug #1:
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/1

I don't have goals per se, but as a user, I have things I hope Ubuntu will eventually include, and I'm glad I see a lot of that in Feisty specifications:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/feisty/+specs

Bullet-proof X and network roaming sound really good. I'd also like to see better automounting of partitions, an easy point-and-click way to reinstall Grub to the MBR, and smart repository enabling/package installation (i.e., you try to install something and rather than the package handler saying, "That package isn't available," it says, "That package isn't available with your current sources. Would you like to enable the repositories necessary to install that package? [Y/N]" You try to play an MP3 and it says, "You don't have to codecs to play that. Would you like to install them now?" (I think AmaroK does this now, actually).

Basically, just making things easier for the end user. Nitpicking startup noises really has very little to do, in the grand scheme of things, with making things easier for the end user. Is it a nice bonus to have a pleasant startup sound? Sure. But no one is going to leave Ubuntu because the startup noise isn't as "professional" as it used to be. They will leave, however, if the X server crashes and can be repaired only from the command-line, or if it appears to be too difficult to allow MP3 playback.

<<joe>>
December 19th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I agree with you holely. And i think you changed my view on the start sounds. Origanly my view was that it would be a good Idea to have a sound assocated with the Ubuntu logo and operating system. i mean companys do it, intel<incert dududoo nosie here> ... there are lots
but this is manly becuses they are trying to capture the main streams attention,( i dont care what the defalt start sound is i can change it!) how ever if Ubuntu is not trying to attract more not so techy users (that dont care windows crashes all the time, happy windows users so nieve) then Ubuntu dosent need a sound they can change it!

sorry for the spelling lol

<<joe>>
December 20th, 2006, 05:31 AM
O hehe that is there main goal attract users from the main stream, hum linux has been a stable OS for a long time, so ubuntu should put more enfices on adding things ppl like to get them to switch becuses 90%of the ppl (windos users) seam not to care that there OS crashes alot. so ubuntu should try things that are known to work... and have a stable os :) kuss thats why i use it