PDA

View Full Version : XP Format == Low Battery Life?

Naralas
December 19th, 2006, 04:39 AM
I reformatted a friends XP Laptop after failing to get her wireless to work with Ubuntu and NDISWrapper (mostly cuz I am a noob, because I have heard success stories of people with the same laptop and same card) but now that I installed my own XP Service Pack 2 she claims that she gets a little over an hour from her battery as opposed to three hours. I asked her if she had actually RAN it three hours or the box just said three hours, and she says she had run it for a full three hours before.

So I feel like a total ****, she loves using her laptop on-the-go and now she can't so much because of me. I guess if we actually use HER restore CD's next format then it might make a difference, but I don't know why.

I went through the usual suspects, told her AVG Antivirus can sometimes keep the harddrive spinning and also takes some processor power, so that would be a bit of a drain. She definetly keeps her display brighter now that she knows how to do that so I guess thats probably a factor but she wouldn't believe me if I told her she used to keep it low. And I also blamed the wireless connection, but it isnt turned off by software, it has a physical switch on the outside and she tells me that even when her wireless is off her laptop only lasts 1 hour and 20 minutes.

So how can I get her battery life up? I guess a new account with no AVG would be an OKAY first step, perhaps a background image that doesn't make her want to turn up the display. Is this enough to really get back an hour and 40 minutes though? I have my doubts. Any suggestions? Or should I re-install with her factory disks? Could there be some reason I just don't get why it works better with her battery?

djheadley
December 19th, 2006, 04:52 AM
How old is her computer? I know that there is a program that reconditions laptop batteries, I've used it on my old Gateway. It doesn't matter what OS you use (after making the special disk which is done in Win) because the program makes a boot disk. I'll look for it and get bact to you.

KiwiNZ
December 19th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Is the battery a 6 or 8 cell ?
Also does the laptop have Blue tooth ?