PDA

View Full Version : I have just told MS how bad their software is

beercz
December 19th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Having spent over 3 hours trying to fix problems on my wife's XP computer - AGAIN - I went to the MS website and basically told them what I thought about their software and asked them why it continues to break. I left my hotmail email address as they can contact me.

Do you think they will respond?

btw - The errors were scripting errors that will not go away in the User Accounts applet in control panel, windows live messenger not allowing me to sign in and telling me that the service is 'temporarily unavailable', the WGA advantage tool not working, it says our copy of XP is not licensed properly - it is (OEM version supplied with the PC)

All good fun!!!

I also told them that Linux, esp. Ubuntu, was far better, more reliable, stable, less resource hungry, open source (so the code can be scrutinized by anyone) and free.

I will keep you posted of any replies, but don't hold your breath!

At least I felt better by sending them my rather blunt and too the point missive:)

So glad to be back in Ubuntu!!

d3v1ant_0n3
December 19th, 2006, 02:13 AM
I doubt you will get anything more than a form reply- although it would be interesting to see if you do.

The sheer volume of complaints Microsoft gets on a daily basis must be staggering.

I'm presently dealing with the fact that every time I change my wallpaper in XP, I get an Active desktop script error, despite the fact I've done my best to disable active desktop. Which is fun.

For an expensive, commercial product, Windows is pretty badly supported (unless you're willing to pay for it)- their website 'Knowledge Base' is woefully lacking, even if you know exactly what you're looking for. I don't think I've ever solved a problem through it.

Compare and contrast with Ubuntu Forums- support for a free OS, staffed entirely by helpful volunteers.

PriceChild
December 19th, 2006, 02:14 AM
I've been banned from the MS forums...

Whether you believe me or not, I maintain that I was extremely polite and civil, enquiring why other threads had been deleted concerning faults with their WGA tools.

3rdalbum
December 19th, 2006, 09:15 AM
When I wrote to NineMSN, on four different occasions, asking why their NineMSN Videos site doesn't work with Firefox or Linux, I got a reply three of those times.

And not just auto-generated replies either - they were written by different people each time. Unfortunately, they all said the same thing really and the site STILL doesn't even work with Firefox on Windows.

LookTJ
December 19th, 2006, 12:48 PM
When I wrote to NineMSN, on four different occasions, asking why their NineMSN Videos site doesn't work with Firefox or Linux, I got a reply three of those times.

And not just auto-generated replies either - they were written by different people each time. Unfortunately, they all said the same thing really and the site STILL doesn't even work with Firefox on Windows.Most sites M$ developed were designed for IE-based. They don't want people using free software(I guess).

finferflu
December 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Whether you believe me or not, I maintain that I was extremely polite and civil, enquiring why other threads had been deleted concerning faults with their WGA tools.

lol! that's funny! :D

beercz
December 19th, 2006, 11:55 PM
OK, I've had a reply, well sort of ....

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Customer Service.

I understand from your message that you are experiencing issues with updates, live messenger, internet explorer, control panel script errors etc. I realize the importance of this issue and will assist you in reaching the appropriate resource.

At this time, our Support Professionals are only trained to troubleshoot issues with North American versions of our products whereas the Support Professionals at the local Microsoft subsidiaries are trained to troubleshoot issues with localized versions of our software.

From the information you have provided in your message, I found that you are located in United Kingdom. If you have purchased the Microsoft product in United Kingdom, your best resource for support is the Microsoft United Kingdom subsidiary.

There are significant programming differences between North America and localized versions of software. You will be best assisted by the subsidiary that specializes in the version.

You can locate information about United Kingdom subsidiary from the following web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/phone/contact.aspx?country=United%20Kingdom

You may contact them at (011)(44)0870 60 10 100

I hope your issue gets resolved soon and appreciate your patience in this regard.
Thank you for using Microsoft Products and Services.

Shefin
Microsoft Online Customer Service Representative

If you have any feedback about your Online Customer Service experience, please e-mail my manager, Sujith Sadasivan, at ocsmgrs@microsoft.com

-----Original Message-----
Date: Monday, December 18, 2006 05:03 PM
To: CS (msconus@microsoft.com)
Subject: Windows and all MS Windows Products

---
CUSTOMER PROVIDED SYSTEM PROPERTIES
Country/Region: United Kingdom
---
SYSTEM PROPERTIES
Ref URL: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=genuine
O/S: windows nt 5.1
O/S Lang: en-US
Br: mozilla/5.0 (windows; u; windows nt 5.1; en-us; rv:1.8.0.8) gecko/20061025 firefox/1.5.0.8
Br lang: en-us,en;q=0.5
---
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS
Message: Your software is crap!!! It doesn't work properly. I am having all sorts of issues with updates, live messenger, internet explorer, control panel script errors etc.

Causing me no end of frustration - been sitting here for nealy 3 hours to try and resolve these issues - to no avail.

And yes, I have a firewall, updated-anti-virus software, anti spyware software and the machine is clean.

I am switching to Ubuntu linux perminantly - far more secure, reliable, and free and has fantastic support.

MS has just lost another customer.

So I suppose I am to phone the UK branch of Microsoft for technical support, on a chargeable national rate non-geographic number and then try and get support, probably at a huge cost.

Thinking about reformatting the hard disk instead - again!!

What should I do? Decisions, decisions ......

3rdalbum
December 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM
OK, I've had a reply, well sort of ....

So I suppose I am to phone the UK branch of Microsoft for technical support, on a chargeable national rate non-geographic number and then try and get support, probably at a huge cost.

Thinking about reformatting the hard disk instead - again!!

What should I do? Decisions, decisions ......

Make good on your promise.

But to be fair to Microsoft, they were probably more likely to help you if you gave some kind of description of the problem. With all due respect, your letter sounded more like a "I'm going back to Windows" newb tantrum.

beercz
December 20th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Make good on your promise.

But to be fair to Microsoft, they were probably more likely to help you if you gave some kind of description of the problem. With all due respect, your letter sounded more like a "I'm going back to Windows" newb tantrum.

I know, I know, but I have been dealing with such issues since Windows 3.1, both in a professional capacity and personally. Besides, based on past experience, MS will just refer me to their website, or the OEM (as the copy of Windows is pre-installed), or charge me for support.

I have been in the IT Industry for over 15 years, and everyone I know seems to ask me about their (Windows) computer problems. I seem to be dealing with Windows problems all day long, then often outside work as people phone me up etc... :-(

Some days I cannot get into the office from the car park (a distance of 100m) without a colleague asking me about their personal computer, and personal laptops and the occasional desktop appear on my desk from nowhere, where colleagues have brought in their pc from home as there (usually) some Windows problem or other, and expect me to fix it.

I think I am being ground down.

I was just getting very frustrated again, and thought I would sound off, by filling in MS's contact form to see what happens.

To be honest, I didn't expect a reply. So I was a bit surprised to receive one.

My main problem here is trying to get my wife (and the kids) to switch to Linux, but we have loads of Windows games that will only play on that machine, plus some other stuff that will only run on Windows - so I am stuck with the one Windows machine (out of five, the other four all running either Debian or Ubuntu). Guess which one requires the most maintenance by far?

I am not really MS bashing, but I just wish their software would work reliably enough so that I can spend my time doing more productive things.

I bet I am not the only one in this position.

I can feel yet another a reformat coming on ......

jam'ez
December 21st, 2006, 01:09 AM
Only thing is, MS have not lost you as a customer Ian :p

I have a solution to your problem! Switch to Gaim ;)

beercz
December 21st, 2006, 01:29 AM
Only thing is, MS have not lost you as a customer Ian :p
Why not? I am not going to personally buy any more copies of Windows or Office or other MS Products if I can help it.

I have a solution to your problem! Switch to Gaim ;)I use gaim, and how exactly will it help me to solve my user accounts problem in control panel?

Also, another weird problem I haven't yet got to the bottom of, search google images produces no images when logged on as a non Administrator user. This has me stumped at the moment!
(Perhaps something to do with Ineternet Explorer's cache)

The real point here is why, oh why, do we have to continually resolve these kinds of problems all the time when running Windows?

Surely there is a better way ..... Llinux of course :-)

I am on a mission to convert as many as possible, including you Jamez!!!!

jam'ez
December 21st, 2006, 01:32 AM
hehehe I am kind of converted... I have dual boot Mister :p Just like some games that love MS, :(.

Kulgan
December 22nd, 2006, 03:30 PM
or trillian if you like bells and whistles! :P

Klaidas
December 23rd, 2006, 12:19 PM
Most sites M$ developed were designed for IE-based. They don't want people using free software(I guess).

Or maybe it's just that most people use IE?

melancholeric
December 23rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
Or maybe it's just that most people use IE?

And because it's impossible to create sites that'd work regardless of the browser you're using?

Try accessing microsoft.com with Konqueror. Nice feature, that.

Kulgan
December 23rd, 2006, 01:47 PM
It would help if IE complied with the w3C standards, though. IE7 STILL doesn't have standard css support, screws up on tables... I'm really getting pissed at constantly having to make hacks for IE. For some reason, other browsers just work...

-K

Sef
December 23rd, 2006, 03:49 PM
I am on a mission to convert as many as possible....

Same here, but if they don't want to switch then I will try to get them to use nonmicrosoft products. Amsn has proved popular with some friends. :D

nenyalorien
April 19th, 2007, 04:16 AM
you know what, you better make a chart or something of how M$ maintenance eats up a chunk of your life, and thus your quality family time and present that to your family. stack the cards, relay your frustrations to your wife and kids, make a leak-proof case, and hope that they become convinced to move to Ubuntu! :D hrhr!

the.dark.lord
April 19th, 2007, 07:35 AM

And you're a forum staff here? I haven't laughed so much in ages. :lolflag:

M$LOL
April 19th, 2007, 07:56 PM

I think I'll take my hat off to the only admin/mod I know who has ever been banned from any forum... although I'm not totally surprised considering it is M$.