PDA

View Full Version : So, when will we see Gaim 2.0 final?

zachtib
December 18th, 2006, 10:42 PM
It's now been just over a year since the first beta of Gaim 2.0 was released. I've been using the betas ever since 2.0beta1, and haven't had any show-stopping issues. In fact, on http://gaim.sf.net, it looks like they're even encouraging the use of the latest beta rather than the current stable release.

Even during the beta stages, after beta3 or so, they seem to be adding new features that would seem more appropriate for future micro releases (2.1 or 2.0.1, etc.).

So, after being in beta for over a year, when do you think it will actually be "final" ?

~LoKe
December 18th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Probably the same time GMail goes final.

dvarsam
December 19th, 2006, 12:39 AM

And when would that be?

Thanks.

weatherman
December 19th, 2006, 12:55 AM
or when mplayer gets its 1.0 out :-D

Rotarychainsaw
December 19th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I thought they said this was going to be the last beta... Also, doesn't the lead dev of gaim work for google? The 'always in beta' thing may have worn off on him.

Kernel Sanders
December 19th, 2006, 02:14 AM
I think more people/companies are starting to do this because to stay in beta is "safer". Its fast becoming a disclaimer of sorts I supports.

I know if I ever get off my *** and learn how to code, any project that undertake for the masses will be in beta forever! :p

~LoKe
December 19th, 2006, 02:45 AM
I think more people/companies are starting to do this because to stay in beta is "safer". Its fast becoming a disclaimer of sorts I supports.

I know if I ever get off my *** and learn how to code, any project that undertake for the masses will be in beta forever! :p

As far as I can tell, Google's use of "beta" is to show that they're always improving. It's not just about the "safety" and accountability, but rather a state of mind.

BarfBag
December 19th, 2006, 04:15 AM
I was wondering this as well. I've always had trouble with Gaim. It was so unstable at one time, I switched to Kopete. These betas are the only versions that have caused me no trouble whatsoever. I'm not even running the latest beta, either!

ibanez
December 19th, 2006, 04:39 AM
I've got the latest beta on 3 machines, & not one of them sets themselves as away after a time( mine set at 5 mins & gaim usage)
yet the other machines with current gaim are fine.
So hopefully when it does come out of beta this feature will work for me I dont like status showing online all the time,
Other than that I like V2 :)

kripkenstein
December 19th, 2006, 07:09 AM
What is even worse, is that there is no timeline to get voice and video into Gaim (there used to be a gaim-vv project, and supposedly it will be merged into the gaim main, but there has been no news on that for a long time).

Cyvros
December 19th, 2006, 09:33 AM
What is even worse, is that there is no timeline to get voice and video into Gaim (there used to be a gaim-vv project, and supposedly it will be merged into the gaim main, but there has been no news on that for a long time).
Those are both really needed. I've also had troubles with attachments from Gaim to MSN or WLM in the past and one of the earlier betas just kept crashing... everywhere. Linux, Windows, anywhere. Must've been me.

I'm fine with beta 5, though. Wouldn't mind it being merely a name-change to final, to be perfectly honest.

FrancoNero
April 6th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Those are both really needed. I've also had troubles with attachments from Gaim to MSN or WLM in the past and one of the earlier betas just kept crashing... everywhere. Linux, Windows, anywhere. Must've been me.

I'm fine with beta 5, though. Wouldn't mind it being merely a name-change to final, to be perfectly honest.

bump...

what bugs me is that the gaim people remain so silent. what's the use of planet gaim if they dont let people know what's going on..... would be nice to ship gaim final with feisty final

jdhore
April 7th, 2007, 05:24 AM
honestly, it bothers me a little bit, but really, i use Kopete and i like Kopete a lot more than i ever liked Gaim (and i mostly run in Gnome)

SOULRiDER
April 7th, 2007, 05:49 AM
For some reason gaim was allways unstable on my Kubuntu installation, like it would crash when recieving certain custom emoticons and stuff like that. I hope whent he new version arrives i dont have such problems. For now i just use Kopete in kubuntu.

LookTJ
April 7th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Coding takes time. it also takes time to find the most stable code..

FrancoNero
April 7th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Coding takes time. it also takes time to find the most stable code..

it doesnt take too much time to write a short post on planet gaim telling anticipating fans of the program what the status would be, though

TravisNewman
April 8th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Looks like we'll see a final release in a week or so

Now that the settlement is signed, we are looking at making our public
announcement sometime this weekend or early this coming week. We hope
to have the final pidgin 2.0.0 release late this week or early next.
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=20070407135734.GB2776%40pidg in.im&forum_name=gaim-i18n

FrancoNero
April 9th, 2007, 09:56 AM
haha yeah just read it. speaking of the devil. i am looking forward to that, especially since chances are high that it might end up in feisty final?

jiminycricket
April 9th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Someone's doing that for a proposed Google Summer of Code project (google it:))

I agree that it's much needed though, I just use Kopete and aMSN for that.