PDA

View Full Version : I want to get into C++!

Ben Sprinkle
December 18th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I am quitting Java and wish to start C++ making gui'sand stuff.

I installed gcc-4.1 and g++-3.4, is this all I need? Or do I need some other crap?
What's the use of gtkmm when you have gtk?
Help?

raul_
December 18th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I have to tell you that Java protects the programmer, whereas C++ don't..it's like, with Java you can do all the crap you want, if u sneeze, the compiler gives a warning, in C++ it will just let you go :) Plus, u can do gui's with java (i think, i personally never tried)

I think u just need a good tutorial to get started, and then you're off

Ben Sprinkle
December 18th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I have to tell you that Java protects the programmer, whereas C++ don't..it's like, with Java you can do all the crap you want, if u sneeze, the compiler gives a warning, in C++ it will just let you go :) Plus, u can do gui's with java (i think, i personally never tried)

I think u just need a good tutorial to get started, and then you're off

So what crap do I need installed to make C++ GUI's and Terminal apps?

raul_
December 18th, 2006, 07:12 PM
see if this helps

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialC++.html

Keffin
December 18th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I am quitting Java and wish to start C++ making gui'sand stuff.

I installed gcc-4.1 and g++-3.4, is this all I need? Or do I need some other crap?
What's the use of gtkmm when you have gtk?
Help?

I'd install build-essential, it gives you access to make, which you'll want for all but the most trivial projects, and other stuff you may or may not want.

Assuming you already know a bit of C++, then google for either Qt tutorials (KDE) or Gtk tutorials (Gnome). gtkmm, to the best of my understanding, is a C++ wrapper around the Gtk (written in C) library. It just makes it look more natural to a C++ programmer.

Ben Sprinkle
December 18th, 2006, 07:54 PM
I'd install build-essential, it gives you access to make, which you'll want for all but the most trivial projects, and other stuff you may or may not want.

Assuming you already know a bit of C++, then google for either Qt tutorials (KDE) or Gtk tutorials (Gnome). gtkmm, to the best of my understanding, is a C++ wrapper around the Gtk (written in C) library. It just makes it look more natural to a C++ programmer.

What does a wrapper mean?
Does that mean it makes gtk make more like good looking? Or just is a change in syntax?

Keffin
December 18th, 2006, 08:20 PM
What does a wrapper mean?
Does that mean it makes gtk make more like good looking? Or just is a change in syntax?

It's a code wrapper, the only difference is in the API (Application Programming Interface). So the syntax will be different - more object-oriented I suppose than the native C version - but it will be using the exact same library to do all the real work.

VDM
December 18th, 2006, 08:35 PM
2 GREAT Free books, completely legal!

http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

Enjoy.

raul_
December 18th, 2006, 08:39 PM
OH MY GOD!!! Can't u find the latest "Thinkin in Java" by the same author? :mrgreen:

Ben Sprinkle
December 18th, 2006, 09:00 PM
2 GREAT Free books, completely legal!

http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

Enjoy.

Thanks, hey guys want to see my first 2 apps?

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main() {
cout << "Howdy!\n";
}

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main() {
int i; //Make an int
cout << "Enter a number for i:\n";
cin >> i; //i = user input
cin.ignore(); //Ignore the enter key pressed
cout << "i now equals: " << i;
cin.get(); //Wait for enter pressed to see output
}

:)

VDM
December 18th, 2006, 09:09 PM
OH MY GOD!!! Can't u find the latest "Thinkin in Java" by the same author? :mrgreen:

Yeah, but i recon i doesn't need those to learn c++ :mrgreen:

pmasiar
December 18th, 2006, 09:58 PM
BTW author of "thinking in java", bruce Eckel, now prefers python. He even charges less (smaller hourly rate) for work in python. Just FYI - and also because python was not mentioned in this thread :-P

sailingboarder
December 19th, 2006, 06:26 PM
i don't see how thinking in Java or bruce eckel using python have anything to do with the OP's topic, C++

pmasiar
December 19th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Question:

i don't see how thinking in Java or bruce eckel using python have anything to do with the OP's topic, C++

Answer:

:twisted:

Also: python was not mentioned and promoted enough :-)