PDA

View Full Version : Linux books

ghepardo
December 18th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Which are the best linux books!?

meng
December 18th, 2006, 04:59 PM
What do you use your computer for? What level of user are you? How much do servers/security mean to you?

taurus
December 18th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Move to Cafe.

lyceum
December 18th, 2006, 05:31 PM
This all depends on what you want to do, do you want to start your own distro, or just tweek Ubutu? There are losts of great books our there.

matthew
December 18th, 2006, 05:40 PM
These are my recommendations--in this order:

I've read these first three and found them invaluable...the last one more as a reference.
Running Linux, O'Reilly Press
Linux Cookbook, O'Reilly Press (Great second book)
Linux in a Nutshell, O'Reilly Press

These are also quite good. The third is great for a newcomer to learn how to use the command line.
Linux Power Tools, Sybex Press
Unix Power Tools, O'Reilly Press
Learning the Bash Shell, O'Reilly Press

O'Reilly (http://www.oreilly.com/pub/topic/linux) publishes the best computer books overall, IMO. For the best results, take a trip to the bookstore to look through them before you buy. I generally buy used through Amazon (http://amazon.com) and can get them for about 30% of the cover price in new or like new condition.

I didn't list any of the quite good new books coming out for Ubuntu, but you will likely want to give them a look as well.

blueturtl
December 18th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I looked and looked for a book that was written for a complete buffoon such as myself and found this: Linux System Administration : A User's Guide (http://www.marcelgagne.com/LSAbook/index.html) by Marcel Gagne. It is pretty easy to read and it isn't written for any spesific distro. I have owned this book way before I got introduced to Ubuntu and it has been very useful to this day.

fuscia
December 18th, 2006, 08:04 PM
i like the pocket guides, linux and linux desktop, from o'reilly. $10 apiece and wicked useful for an end user.

FredSambo
December 18th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I prefer the Linux Administration Handbook (http://www.admin.com/). I originally inherited an old copy of the UNIX version from an old friend; I bought the Linux version once it fell apart!

w00t!

raul_
December 18th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Google (http://www.google.com)

jbayone
December 18th, 2006, 09:06 PM
What about books about Ubuntu specifically? Such as Ubuntu Hacks, or Ubuntu Unleashed. Are they worth buying?

lyceum
December 18th, 2006, 09:48 PM
What about books about Ubuntu specifically? Such as Ubuntu Hacks, or Ubuntu Unleashed. Are they worth buying?

Ubuntu Hacks is great. It is to the point and lets you know how hard the hack is before you try it. Ubuntu Unleashed is a monster. I don't have it yet, but I have thumbed throught it. I plan on picking it up for Christmas. It is a very thick book, full of good stuff by one of my fav authors.

I get my books from amazon.com. I have found that the reviews are right on and that their prices can't be beat.

IF you want something simple, but effective for a beginer get the Offical Ubuntu Guide. It can be helpful, but it does not go as deep into things as the 2 mentioned above.

whynotchevron
December 18th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Ubuntu Unleashed by Andrew and Paul Hudson , $49.99 (USD) money well spent

raul_
December 18th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Do these books survive the updates?

MedivhX
December 19th, 2006, 12:16 AM
I've got Ubuntu Hacks (in electronic format) so if u want it I can upload it to you...

fuscia
December 19th, 2006, 05:25 AM
post cancelled

matthew
December 19th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Do these books survive the updates?The ones I mentioned will (for the most part) because they deal with more of the underlying parts of the OS that have been pretty much the same from the beginning and even predating Linux as they were in use in the Unix world for years before that.

AlanRogers
December 19th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Forgive a noob chiming in but, for beginners, I'd thoroughly reccommend either or both of the following. They stopped me from needing to post a whole raft of simple questions here!
Moving to Ubuntu Linux by Marcel Gagne
The Official Ubuntu Book by various

I have Dapper up and running on an old 400Mhz, separate partitions for /, /usr and /var, completed a full update last night and am playing around with making it my de facto internet machine.

lyceum
December 20th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Ubuntu Unleashed by Andrew and Paul Hudson , $49.99 (USD) money well spent

it is $26 (USD) at amazon.com right now. Less money well spent :)

lyceum
December 20th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Forgive a noob chiming in but, for beginners, I'd thoroughly reccommend either or both of the following. They stopped me from needing to post a whole raft of simple questions here!
Moving to Ubuntu Linux by Marcel Gagne
The Official Ubuntu Book by various

I have Dapper up and running on an old 400Mhz, separate partitions for /, /usr and /var, completed a full update last night and am playing around with making it my de facto internet machine.

Second that, The Official Ubuntu book is great! Also, Ubuntu from New to Guru is great, but the 6.06 book is not out til March (?) I got the 5.10 book and it was great. Very easy to read if you are not into PC's.

raul_
December 20th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Ubuntu Hacks it's pretty good, but i still think that you can find most of it on Google. If you want to learn how the OS works (file system, memory management, multi tasking, kernel , blablabla) maybe you should buy a more specific/technical book. But I'm suspicious because i really don't like spending money in original books (hey i'm a student, i'm used to study from scans/prints)