PDA

View Full Version : My new motherboard

Jimmy_r
December 18th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I just finished installing my new Tyan Tomcat K8E-SLI.

Reading through the manual, these features alone made it worth the price:

1.3 - Software Specifications
OS (Operating System) Support
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows XP (32bit & 64bit)
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (32bit & 64bit)
SLES Serve 9.0 & SUSE Workstation 9.3
RHEL3 Update 5 (32bit & 64bit)
RHEL4 Update 1 (32bit & 64bit)
TYAN reserves the right to add support or discontinue support for any OS with
or without notice.

BIOS option:

Installed O/S
This feature is used to select Linux if your are running Linux operation systems.
Others / Linux

zgornel
December 19th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Do you know what does enabling the option do ?

~LoKe
December 19th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Those features are in one way or another present on all motherboards. I've yet to run into a system that will run Windows but not a Linux variant.

Jimmy_r
December 19th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Those features are in one way or another present on all motherboards. I've yet to run into a system that will run Windows but not a Linux variant.

Yes, but not many manufacturers have outspoken support for specific linux distros.
And, what I found amusing was that the BIOS option called "OS support" had two options: "Linux" and "Other OS".
Usually(in other places than BIOS options too) it is windows that is named and Mac/Linux/BSD/etc. that are lumped together into the "Other OS" category...

Do you know what does enabling the option do ?
Not yet, it is hard to find anything...Perhaps someone could enlighten us?

zgornel
December 20th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Yes, but not many manufacturers have outspoken support for specific linux distros.
And, what I found amusing was that the BIOS option called "OS support" had two options: "Linux" and "Other OS".
Usually(in other places than BIOS options too) it is windows that is named and Mac/Linux/BSD/etc. that are lumped together into the "Other OS" category...

Not yet, it is hard to find anything...Perhaps someone could enlighten us?

This might be it: virtualization support: http://aplawrence.com/Linux/kvm_virtualization.html :mrgreen: