PDA

View Full Version : I would like to... which is most suited?

camilluk
December 18th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Hi!

I'd like to develop an application that retrieves data from an AS400 via SQL, and use it to display graphs and reports to company users on a windows network. I'd like this application to be part of an intranet so ideally it would be browser-based. The application (and the hole intranet) should be portable to a Linux environment, as ultimately that's the direction I'd like to take and I wouldn't want my app (if I'll ever manage to make one!) to be the obstacle to a migration.

Considering that my only programming knowledge (well, that's a bit overstated as I never developed any sophisticated apps!) concerns VB and VB.NET and that I'd like to learn a different language, which do you think would be best suited to do what I described above?

Thank you!

pmasiar
December 18th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Considering that my only programming knowledge concerns VB and VB.NET and that I'd like to learn a different language, which do you think would be best suited to do what I described above?

Python is very easy language to pick up. But the one you will use for this task is the one what has libraries to help you with this **very** specific task. If you find these libraries under .NET, IronPython might be able to use them. But start with libraries to access your data.