PDA

View Full Version : Firefox - The truth hurts

KillerKiwi
December 18th, 2006, 11:21 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/perspective.png

http://xkcd.com/

Luffield
December 18th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I disagree. First, because it's "just a browser", where one might think you can't really improve a great deal, it came and showed the world that there's a lot of things you can do -- just showing web pages is not nearly enough. I happen to need a good web browser for work, I open it when I get there in the morning and I don't close it until I leave. Nothing else comes close to Firefox, I'm sure I'd be less productive if I used something else.
I hope the open source community will be able to develop other programs, e.g. office packages, to the same level Firefox is in. I'm sure it will happen some day, I hope it doesn't take long.

roderikk
December 18th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Wow, these are really funny :-). http://xkcd.com/c149.html

dbbolton
December 18th, 2006, 12:58 PM
what IS wrong with us ...

argie
December 18th, 2006, 01:10 PM
XKCD is just plain hilarious. There are lots of things wrong with us besides, we have holy wars over what editor to use, for example.

Cyvros
December 18th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Thank you for introducing me to this! Nice, simple, funny. :D

Never had that feeling, either, by the way. Just about 90% of my computer time is spent with at least one FF tab/window open (online or offline, I don't care - it just comforts me).

sagarhshah
December 18th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I dont see what the fuss is about firefox either. :S
its all about opera!!!

it got to where firefox/ie is ages ago and has gone even further
and its the most secure browser on this planet!!!!

oh yeah did I forget to mention the most standards compliant browser as well?

I dont care whether people say but its not open source.
It does the job and it does it brilliantly!!
every new installation of opera comes with the features I want built in.
I dont have to faff about looking for the plugins I want as is the case with firefox.

And i dont have to worry about active x and the like as is the case with internet explorer!!!

Luffield your right nothing comes close to firefox because internet explorer is way behind firefox and opera is way way ahead of firefox!!

Just try it out and take it for a spin.

I know this thread has nothing to do with opera but I just couldnt resist!!

Kernel Sanders
December 18th, 2006, 04:47 PM
LOL!

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/not_really_into_pokemon.png

cdburgess75
December 18th, 2006, 04:58 PM
I belive that most people think FF is an example of an opensource browser being just as good as Microsoft's closed source browser, IE. Firefox itself makes a point. We should learn from FF and its challenges.

lyceum
December 18th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Funny stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Hex_Mandos
December 18th, 2006, 07:15 PM
My FF does way more than just show pages. It also uploads files through FTP (using the FireFTP extension), for example. It can be customized WAY more than IE (I have Opera, but rarely use it), to the point of including functionality that would normally require a separate program. Also, the web browsers of today are a vital piece of software, unlike a decade ago. I don't use any email client or RSS reader, as I use web services for both (Gmail and Bloglines are good enough to prevent me from considering alternative programs, despite being closed source).

Moreover, Firefox IS a great way to show what FOSS is capable of doing. It started the Second Browser War, and that's not a small thing. It even prodden MS into releasing a new IE after YEARS. It's also a piece of software most people can use, even witohut switching platforms. Most people DON'T use text editors, for example, and most won't migrate to Linux for the time being. And most won't download the heavy OpenOffice packages, when they already have MS Office (a pretty good product, really). Firefox is small, useable by everybody, extensible, and easy to install. Could there be a BETTER way to show what FOSS is capable of doing?

~LoKe
December 18th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Linux is "just an operating system". I don't see the problem, Firefox does what it's supposed to do and that's it. Anything further is up to you an extensions, which is also internally supported in case YOU want to use them.

It's all about choice.

Chinkostu
December 18th, 2006, 08:43 PM
theres some funny stuff here! thanks :)

Cyvros
December 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I belive that most people think FF is an example of an opensource browser being just as good as Microsoft's closed source browser, IE. Firefox itself makes a point. We should learn from FF and its challenges.
I'd say it's better. Most of IE's decent add-ons have to be paid for, don't they?

steven8
December 19th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Most of IE's decent add-ons have to be paid for, don't they?

They're not add-ons. . .they're BHO's!! :-)

Firefox doesn't need me to defend it. It's a damn fine product and those who wish to partake of what it offers will.

STREETURCHINE
December 19th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Firefox doesn't need me to defend it. It's a damn fine product and those who wish to partake of what it offers will.

well said steven8 it has my vote.
ps.i have used opera but always drift back to firefox :mrgreen:

Cyvros
December 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Ha! Concurred. :D

EdThaSlayer
December 19th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I love firefox and use it all the time. Yeah, its true its just a web browser, but it can do more than browse!(mp3 player plug in anyone?). Nice find!Funny site.

Old Pink
December 19th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Ubuntu mention: http://xkcd.com/c178.html

nsleiman
December 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM
i have running on my personal laptop ubuntu and on my office' desktop windows :( but in a point a feel im working on the same machine.. due to Firefox' interface :) i hardly can remember times i needed to restart FF ( IE lives on restarts! ).

Christmas
December 19th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I disagree. First, because it's "just a browser", where one might think you can't really improve a great deal, it came and showed the world that there's a lot of things you can do -- just showing web pages is not nearly enough. I happen to need a good web browser for work, I open it when I get there in the morning and I don't close it until I leave. Nothing else comes close to Firefox, I'm sure I'd be less productive if I used something else.
I hope the open source community will be able to develop other programs, e.g. office packages, to the same level Firefox is in. I'm sure it will happen some day, I hope it doesn't take long.
Yep, Firefox is indeed a great product. The only thing I hate about it is being a little too slow.

lyceum
December 20th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Yep, Firefox is indeed a great product. The only thing I hate about it is being a little too slow.

Which one is faster?

Yossarian
December 20th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by lyceum
Which one is faster?

In my experience Opera is faster.

Kernel Sanders
December 20th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Ubuntu mention: http://xkcd.com/c178.html

Already posted it above :cool:

Btw, LOL:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/penises.png

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
December 20th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I'm stuck to firefox. I used Mozilla back in the day before firefox even thought of, and I remember downloading every nightly build and doing the bug thing. 'Twas fun. I used Opera too for a while, and it does seem a bit faster. Although I'd say firefox was faster when it was first released. Hmm.

lyceum
December 20th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I'm stuck to firefox. I used Mozilla back in the day before firefox even thought of, and I remember downloading every nightly build and doing the bug thing. 'Twas fun. I used Opera too for a while, and it does seem a bit faster. Although I'd say firefox was faster when it was first released. Hmm.

I just upgreaded to 2.01 or what ever, and it is noticabley faster. I plan to check out Opera at some point though.