PDA

View Full Version : I appreciate the help you didn't know you gave me

Jellicletrb
December 18th, 2006, 03:36 AM
I've been working on learning Ubuntu for almost 2 months now, and I finally ditched XP Friday night. I haven't posted very much because, to be honest...I haven't had too. I haven't had any issues with Ubuntu, all my issues have been with me figuring out what I was doing and smoothing out the learning curve. But I was able to find the answers to each and every question by using search. :rolleyes: All my questions had already been asked. I'm willing to bet that all of you help a great many more people than you know, who just come here and look up the solutions to their issues, like I did.

But, just wanted to say thanks, I love what I have and am XP Free now, with Dapper only on the desktop and the laptop. I'm even getting the hang of using the terminal :mrgreen:

Thanks again to all :KS

d3v1ant_0n3
December 18th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Woo! Hope you're having fun! And well done on using search;)

dbbolton
December 18th, 2006, 04:11 AM
i'm glad you've had a positive experience.

if i could just get that darn peinter to work, i'd be all set...

BarfBag
December 18th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Always a pleasure. Good to know that someone's benefiting from my lack of life. ;)

blackened
December 18th, 2006, 05:37 AM
That is basically the same thing I experienced when I first installed Hoary. Never had to ask any questions, just searched the forums until I found people with similar problems and applicable solutions.

po0f
December 18th, 2006, 05:56 AM
I hope a mod stickies this and bolds the part about searches. Force all new users to read this post before being allowed to post at all. ;P

Littleweseth
December 18th, 2006, 06:32 AM
i'm glad you've had a positive experience.

if i could just get that darn peinter to work, i'd be all set...

Have you searched the forums? XD

smoker
December 18th, 2006, 07:04 AM
i've found a lot of solutions this way also, there is usually always someone who had the same problem before, but, in the rare case you have a new problem, there's always a great pool of knowledgeable people around here to help with the answer.

it's the people that make a forum great, and there's no better people than here! :-)

aysiu
December 18th, 2006, 07:07 AM
I'm proud of the OP for finding all the answers through searches, but I never want to discourage new users from posting. Here are my reasons:

1. Sometimes people find a lot of results in searches and pick bad links to use (I'm thinking, for example, of the dual boot guide that warns you against installing Grub to the MBR and has you do virtual backflips to get a dual boot working by doing some weird thing with the boot.ini file).

2. It's good to feel a part of the community, especially when you feel lost. Sometimes it's not so much answers people seek as reassurance. Of course, they're seeking both, but it's not only answers.

3. Some people are extremely resourceful, but it's often hard for new users to even know what to search for in order to find answers.

DoctorMO
December 18th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Sometimes I search, but advanced users may find that their problems are a little more complex and tend to hit the 'never asked before' or worse 'asked before but no one answered' more than new users. which is a good sign.

woedend
December 18th, 2006, 09:10 AM
yes good work jellicle. This is the best way to learn. I had to dive into linux head first with no experience when my XP died and I had no backups...i was tired of it anyways. Ubuntu was my first taste, and while ive moved to a different distro whiles ago...i'm happy that I did. When I started, I searched the internet for guides and found these forums. You learn much more by sitting quietly and looking for yourself than by asking to have your hand held through each click and bump. granted everyone has questions here and there, I did and my post count reflects this. break it, read, fix it, you learn. wish there were many more like you. good luck and stick with it.

foofy
December 18th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Well done.
That's how I did it when I first started out. I was too nervous to post in case I looked stupid, LOL.

Keep up the good work everyone. :D

NeoLithium
December 18th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I think lots of people had that looking stupid fear; but then again, those of us who even in limited capacities of knowledge, that answer questions that on other boards, get the annoying RTFM answer; seem to remember that everyone starts off somewhere...

Besides, this is probably the best forum community I've found, which makes it always great to be hanging around and reading posts out of sheer boredom.

matthew
December 18th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I've been working on learning Ubuntu for almost 2 months now, and I finally ditched XP Friday night. I haven't posted very much because, to be honest...I haven't had too. I haven't had any issues with Ubuntu, all my issues have been with me figuring out what I was doing and smoothing out the learning curve. But I was able to find the answers to each and every question by using search.
Yay! and you're welcome. Glad to have you around...it won't be too long before you will discover you have learned enough to help people newer than you just from hanging out here.

beercz
December 18th, 2006, 01:22 PM
As some one once said to me:

We don't have unique problems, just unique data

Searching usually finds the answer as the OP and others (including me) have demonstrated.

jarrman00
December 19th, 2006, 08:23 AM
I would agree. Seeing as this is my first post to this forum and I have looked over hundreds of threads trying to fix my problems, you all have helped me as well. Not as much as to my specific problems, for yes indeed it is my individual data, but in learning the system. I have a lot more to learn, but all of you that have posted information on problems have contributed to my success with Ubuntu, but more on learning new things and getting the confidence to try to change things and commit to something new. thank you.

matthew
December 19th, 2006, 09:17 AM
I would agree. Seeing as this is my first post to this forum and I have looked over hundreds of threads trying to fix my problems, you all have helped me as well. Not as much as to my specific problems, for yes indeed it is my individual data, but in learning the system. I have a lot more to learn, but all of you that have posted information on problems have contributed to my success with Ubuntu, but more on learning new things and getting the confidence to try to change things and commit to something new. thank you.That's why these forums are here...I'm thrilled to know we have been helpful to you. Glad to have you around!