PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu PC's on ebay

dalejefferson
December 18th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Check out http://stores.ebay.co.uk/efficientpc

taurus
December 18th, 2006, 12:11 AM
I am going to move this over to the Community Market for now until further notice...

Swab
December 18th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Have you sold any of these yet? Nice looking machines, I hope it works out for you.

dalejefferson
December 18th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Yes, getting a lot of good feedback.

What do you think, what would you like to see my selling?

I'm considering selling laptops too.

Swab
December 18th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Why not get your machines setup with Beryl out of the box? Include a little bit on the features of Beryl in your listings, could generate quite a bit of interest. And yes, a fully configured laptop would be great also.

dalejefferson
December 18th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Thanks for your comments.

Personally Beryl really annoys me, but it is a nice system to run 3D effects with the Nvidia graphics.

Swab
December 18th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Thanks for your comments.

Personally Beryl really annoys me, but it is a nice system to run 3D effects with the Nvidia graphics.

Yeah I don't use Beryl either, but it will get people interested.

matt_risi
December 18th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I totally agree, having a working Beryl install with maybe a document in the home directory to show the user its functions would be a huge sell point for many. And if they don't like it, they can just switch metacity back to default, no big deal. Consider it. ;)

Malac
December 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I totally agree, having a working Beryl install with maybe a document in the home directory to show the user its functions would be a huge sell point for many. And if they don't like it, they can just switch metacity back to default, no big deal. Consider it. ;)
I suggest the other way round metacity by default with a document on their desktop explaining about beryl's eye-candy.
just my tuppence.

dalejefferson
December 18th, 2006, 05:40 PM
good ideas about adding a document explaining what beryl is and how to turn it off/on.

Beryl's one of those thing you love or hate!

keep up with the good suggestions. :KS

Cheers

scrooge_74
December 18th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Check out http://stores.ebay.co.uk/efficientpc

You should put a nice Linux inside logo or Ubuntu power for the masses sticker

So people will notice them when they go by one of them.

missmoondog
December 18th, 2006, 06:21 PM
that looks pretty sweet!!

i just may track this topic. maybe a christmas present for myself, after christmas. ;)

dalejefferson
December 18th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I like the "Ubuntu, power for the masses" Sticker idea.

I will get a price, would anyone be interested in buying sticker if I got them made up?
I can't imagine them costing more than a couple of quid.

Can any one do better than "Ubuntu, power for the masses". I'm sold.

Fatec
December 20th, 2006, 08:12 PM
interesting...though a complete rip off..i can build that myself for just under a £100

Swab
December 20th, 2006, 09:13 PM
interesting...though a complete rip off..i can build that myself for just under a £100

I call BS...

"The Asus Pundit Case costs over £100 on its own, most the cases on ebay are cheap <£20 ones that are noisy and ugly. Beware!"

scrooge_74
December 20th, 2006, 10:27 PM

You could do it, but how many people out there can build machines in XP or Ubuntu for that matter.

Almost anybody can drive a car, how many people can disassemble the engine to change the rings on pistoms or a drive shaft?

dalejefferson
December 21st, 2006, 11:37 AM
](*,)

Please explain how you can build a system for under £100 when just the case costs £102 :confused:
See froogle link below.
http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?hl=en&q=asus%20p1-ah2&btnG=Google+Search&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

This is a modern AM2 Cpu, fastest DDR2 memory, quietest SATA2 hard disks, Nvidia 6150 Chipset, small form factor computer. AND It runs Ubuntu.... :p

There is not a smaller, better looking, quieter system on ebay!
There are lots of cheaper ones!
Ubuntu deserves a better base to be built upon. :KS

Feel free to contact me and I will buy your <£100 computer and resell it. Or better still I will pay to find out where you are buying £100 cases for less than £20.

Thanks for your support Swab + scrooge_74 all i'm trying to do is spread Ubuntu to the masses.

scrooge_74
December 21st, 2006, 12:36 PM
](*,)

Thanks for your support Swab + scrooge_74 all i'm trying to do is spread Ubuntu to the masses.

Keep up the good work...."Release them from their chains"..."and if you build them they come" LOL

Remember to send me a cool sticker when you are selling UbuPCs by the boat loads ;)

dalejefferson
December 31st, 2006, 12:07 AM
2007 Update...

We are now selling full packages. (Base/Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse).

We now offer higher spec Dual core systems.

Take a look http://stores.ebay.co.uk/efficientpc

Have a good new year!! :KS

deck1
January 13th, 2007, 06:01 PM
You also can sell a package called "media center" or something else, with ubuntu, MythTV, remote control and TV card. Some useful links:

http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php
http://www.mattmarsh.net/computing/pundit/index.shtml

dalejefferson
January 16th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks for your Idea.

I have already sold one Mythtv system and am working on getting one on the website.

I've been using Mythtv for 4 years, first on Gentoo now on Ubuntu. (Gentoo was to much like hard work) and am a great fan.

What spec would you like to see.
I might do a <£400 mythtv system with dual tuner and remote and wireless with Pundit case.

dalejefferson
February 9th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Update!!

We are now selling Ubuntu Linux Mythtv systems.

We currently sell a system with a Nova-t digital tuner and one with an extra wifi card.

We are currently doing development on the nova-t 500 dual tuner card and hope to start selling a system by the end of Feb.

Check us out http://stores.ebay.co.uk/efficientpc

Cheers Dale

Titus A Duxass
February 9th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Nice job and a fair price!
One tip- the ebay descriptions do not make it clear that it is a MythTV or what it does.

mvaniersel
February 9th, 2007, 12:57 PM
That Myth Tv box looks intriguing. Also, I'm curious about the low power consumption. Do you have more specs for that? What is the peak power consumption, e.g. during time-shifting? Have you compared it with machines from other brands?
It'd be interesting to read a customer review.

Another question: is the case only suitable for the standing position, or can it also be put on its side? I never really liked vertical cd drives much.

dalejefferson
February 9th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback,

I'm working on more information and pictures.
The unit does lay flat without the base, i'll post a picture.

The system has a hardware encoder and uses nvidia xvmc hardware decoding so power consumption is not far off idle during "time-sifting".

Cheers Dale

cookfromfrozen
February 10th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Nice PCs, but, they are rather high spec and the case is expensive. That's not to say some people won't want a high spec Linux machine, but many of us don't need the extra power and that fast CPU and graphics card would be wasted.

Have you considered selling a lower-spec system (e.g. 1ghz, 512ram, in-built graphics) with Ubuntu preinstalled? I know a lot of people who would be interested in something like that but not a higher spec system.

dalejefferson
February 11th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks for your feedback,

It would be nice to get the price down but cheaper cases just look cheap.

Small form factor cases are had to come by, this one offers full Linux support, great fan control and looks great.

If anyone can fine a better case/motherboard/graphics combo I would like to hear about it.

This system has:

1. Modern AM2 cpu (Cooler and Quieter)
2. Nvidia graphics (DVI output, Tv-out, XVMC fully supported)
3. Full fan control (virtually silent)
4. Flex ATX form factor (Small good looking system)
5. Front USB and Card reader (Fully supported under Linux)
6. Two Full height PCI cards. (Tuner and Wifi)
7. Quality Brand (ASUS Pundit is a rock solid system)

I could knock the memory down to 512MB for £30 but it does not seem worth it.
The cpu is already the cheapest.
The graphics is already onboard.

As I sell more systems I can get better deals on prices, and I will pass the saving on via lower prices.

Note: We are now doing FREE DELIVERY on all our systems on our website http://efficientpc.co.uk

jheady
May 20th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Hi dalejefferson. Although you mentioned disliking Beryl previously, have you attempted or had positive results installing Beryl on the ASUS P1-AH2? I was finally able to get the vanilla install working on my new ASUS P1-AH2, however getting Beryl working with the default nVidia drivers and the on-board video has been difficult. I would like to get it working but I have had a difficult time finding resources from users with the same setup. Thanks.

dalejefferson
May 22nd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Due to customer demand we did ship our Ubuntu Edgy systems preinstalled with Beryl, everything worked great with the default Ubuntu Nividia-glx drivers following the guide on Beryls website.

With Fiesty its just a matter of clicking a few buttons, no command line needed to get Compiz working. We have not tried to install Beryl on Feisty as we are happy with the default compiz.
I do not see any reason why you should have any problem. The install the the same as anyone with a Nvidia graphics card.

jheady
May 24th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Which install instructions on the beryl-project.org site do you use? I assume these (http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Install_Beryl_on_Ubuntu_Feisty_with_nVidia)? I began these instructions and upon restart of x, I was greeted with a heinous kernel mismatch error. I think this is my own fault because I had manually installed the latest nvidia drivers from their site last week then attempted this beryl install on top of that. I am reading this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=442101&highlight=nvidia+xorg+kernel+mismatch) and honestly thinking the best solution may be to wipe and start over. Trying to pick apart configured modules hoping that it might fix my problem does not sound very fun to me. :(