PDA

View Full Version : Article: "1990-1995: Microsoft's Yellow Road to Cairo"

Robert.Zapata
December 17th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Hello Team and Happy Holidays..!!

Not sure if this was already published but I just found a series of articles about the Microsoft OS history and how the deceive the whole world, I think is very interesting. Is a long read but is worth it.

Automatic PC sales of DOS rapidly made Microsoft one of the largest software companies of the 80s. As its market power increased, it gained a reputation as a vendor with staying power. Nobody wanted to invest in the software of a company that might go out of business.

Microsoft used its new clout to introduce a product vision called Cairo in 1991; it disrupted development and marginalized competition throughout the next decade.

The tactic worked so well that Microsoft repeated it in the following decade as Longhorn. Here's how it happened, and why Microsoft won't be able to repeat the same fraud again.

http://roughlydrafted.com/RD/Q4.06/4E2A8848-5738-45B1-A659-AD7473899D7D.html

I'm still reading the other articles in the series....

zcal
December 18th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Even worse, in the last five years, Microsoft not only hasn't delivered what it promised at all, but instead is pushing Vista as something the world should be excited about getting.

Amen to that. I remember anticipating Longhorn way back when, but now that I see what Vista's actually become it's impossible to be excited. I'm still more impressed with Apple's gettin' old OS X than I am with what I've seen of Vista. What I really can't believe are the graphical strides Linux has taken over Microsoft's up and coming. Beryl vs Aero? I mean COME ON Microsoft. :rolleyes:

grte
December 18th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Now, I like a good Microsoft bashing as much as the next guy, but do you think that site could brown nose Apple any more?

dbbolton
December 18th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Now, I like a good Microsoft bashing as much as the next guy, but do you think that site could brown nose Apple any more?
maybe a little more.

mdsmedia
December 18th, 2006, 05:48 AM
While I prefer to take everything the article says as gospel, it disappointed when it showed the anti-windows/MS bias a little way down.

I like saving these articles as ammunition when my ignorant friends reject my reasons for not liking MS. But they lose a bit of weight when they show obvious bias.