PDA

View Full Version : Binary/Decimal Conversion Tool

Verminox
December 17th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I searched all over google but only found converters between Binary/Decimal/Hexadecimal for integral values.

I want to see how floating point numbers are represented in those bases (at least binary, if not hexadecimal). Is there any online tool or software or even simpler a way to break up the "float" and "double" data types in C to show their bit-by-bit value?

maxamillion
December 17th, 2006, 02:12 PM
That is actually going to be a platform specific question but it is my understanding that x86, x86_64 and powerpc all use the same IEEE standard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_754

Not sure about a tool that is able to convert this, I assume one could be easily written with the understanding of the method of representation though.

Verminox
December 17th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Yup I guess I could do it manually by understanding the method involved, but I'd rather have a tool to do this automatically.... if I can't find one I'll just use the method stated there and make a program out of it in C++ or something.

Lord Illidan
December 17th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I searched all over google but only found converters between Binary/Decimal/Hexadecimal for integral values.

I want to see how floating point numbers are represented in those bases (at least binary, if not hexadecimal). Is there any online tool or software or even simpler a way to break up the "float" and "double" data types in C to show their bit-by-bit value?

Qalculate can do it. It is in the repos.

Verminox
December 17th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Wow. Qalculate has got to be the best calculator I've used yet.... thanks!

patrick295767
December 18th, 2006, 08:50 PM

the very powerful x48
my howto now there :
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=156767&highlight=x48

Lord Illidan
December 18th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Wow. Qalculate has got to be the best calculator I've used yet.... thanks!
U're welcome, I love it too!