PDA

View Full Version : windows gamers edition, idea.

Wall86
December 17th, 2006, 04:14 AM
you wanna know what would be great? if someone out there made a gaming OS, it would have to be based off of windows tho (most games are made to work in windows)

main idea:
basically an extremely stripped down version of windows,
still be able to use windows drivers (ease of use)
it would pretty just be something like win 3.1, where all you have is the icons for your games.
built in hardware tweaking tools, overclocking, fan speeds, all of that fun stuff.

benifits?
instead of having a full fledged OS like xp on your system dual booted, all you would need is something like this game OS.
reduce the excuses to not using linux.

any feedback or ides would be greatly appreciated.

3rdalbum
December 17th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Anyone who tried modifying and redistributing Windows in this way would have their rear end sued off.

tuxcantfly
December 17th, 2006, 04:21 AM
you wanna know what would be great? if someone out there made a gaming OS, it would have to be based off of windows tho (most games are made to work in windows)

main idea:
it would pretty just be something like win 3.1, where all you have is the icons for your games.
built in hardware tweaking tools, overclocking, fan speeds, all of that fun stuff.

benifits?
instead of having a full fledged OS like xp on your system dual booted, all you would need is something like this game OS.
reduce the excuses to not using linux.

any feedback or ides would be greatly appreciated.

I think ReactOS is what you're looking for.

Wall86
December 17th, 2006, 04:23 AM
could you please explain this react OS, and could it run windows apps?

Wall86
December 17th, 2006, 04:40 AM
could I dual boot reactOS with ubuntu? dumb question i know, i just wanna be sure,

and would this work for like WoW? and all of that? for what i have read it is pretty much a free version of windows,

Lexam
December 17th, 2006, 04:44 AM
An OS for just games is called a games console. AKA Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo etc. Just my thought the reason for a computer is so you can do things other than games on them. Of course the Xbox and Playstation have both gotten away from being a strictly game console.

Wall86
December 17th, 2006, 04:59 AM
now, if i could play some games on a console that i like sure, i would definately use just them, but, some people just like certain computer games.

bahn
December 19th, 2006, 04:19 PM
main idea:

Sounds to me like you want a modded Xbox.

Popoi
December 21st, 2006, 02:12 PM
An OS for just games is called a games console. AKA Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo etc. Just my thought the reason for a computer is so you can do things other than games on them. Of course the Xbox and Playstation have both gotten away from being a strictly game console.

I agree. Even so, game consoles have better game stuff than PC.

Reshin
December 22nd, 2006, 03:36 PM
I agree. Even so, game consoles have better game stuff than PC.

Know any good RTS?

KiwiNZ
December 22nd, 2006, 08:32 PM
Just create a Gaming account in your current XP install and strip out all the stuff you dont need . This will free up resources for your gaming

lzfy
December 24th, 2006, 12:29 AM
There's a guy who created a XP version that is 60MB in size, which he called, not surprisingly, Windows XP Gamers Edition. But unfortunately he suspended the project, but he will probably work on it again.

Here's the original thread.
Link (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=62098)