PDA

View Full Version : Python Projects

thoms
May 5th, 2005, 11:41 PM
I've been with Ubuntu for a while now and it was essentially the proverbial kick up the **** I needed to start learning Python. I've been looking into and getting used to it for some time now and my question is, where do I go from here? Can anyone suggest any development projects I could have a look at or even just programs that'd be worth tinkering with to gain a better understanding of the language?

Regards -- Thom

Buffalo Soldier
May 6th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Been looking for the same thing too here. There's a limit to what can be learned from books. Only real life tinkering that can give better understanding.

Domhnull
May 6th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I've been learning Python as well - I just have a bunch of projects I want to do. In some cases there are probably alternatives already out there but I figure I can do it myself and learn a lot more.

Example:
- Wallpaper changer. I know there are other options of this one. But I'd programmed a Windows wallpaper changer that had the features I wanted for the most part. I wanted to create a new one to bring those features, plus some additional ones to my Ubuntu desktop. It looks like it'll be a lot easier this time around and with the Python image library I should be able to expand it's feature set quite a bit.

ssam
May 6th, 2005, 02:25 PM
gui config tools is what linux needs (in my humble opinion).

it is basically parsing and writing a text file, which should not be to hard. but i'd imagine the tricky bit would be dealing with the user changing the config my hand. and keeping it human readable and stuff like that.

if you look through the forums and wiki i am sure you'll find people asking how to do various tasks and being refered to the command line.

if you need more insiration look at the gnome menu editor project (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=67).

thoms
May 6th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Example:
- Wallpaper changer. I know there are other options of this one. But I'd programmed a Windows wallpaper changer that had the features I wanted for the most part. I wanted to create a new one to bring those features, plus some additional ones to my Ubuntu desktop. It looks like it'll be a lot easier this time around and with the Python image library I should be able to expand it's feature set quite a bit.

Thats exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, fancy working on it together?

darthsabbath
May 7th, 2005, 05:34 AM
I've been thinking about the same thing... couple of projects I've had in mind are in line with Ssam's comment about GUI tools.

File & Print Sharing - Just a one stop inteface to be able to configure both SAMBA and CUPS.

System Restore - Backs up critical system files (/etc, for example) and settings, so if you change something, just restore to an earlier time... yes, like Windows. :-P Sue me... it's saved me many a headache with my users at work. ;-)

Backup - I've read several requests for backup utilities, and while I haven't really checked into it myself, a solid backup program would be nice to have.

It would seem to me that these would be very simple projects using Python, so... who knows?

Just out of curiosity... of the above, which would you be most interested in? (may be posting a poll on this for some feedback in the Community Chat as well).

Phil

Domhnull
May 7th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Thats exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, fancy working on it together?
Send me an email. We'll see what we can work out. It might be awhile before I start working on it.

Domhnull
May 7th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Just out of curiosity... of the above, which would you be most interested in? (may be posting a poll on this for some feedback in the Community Chat as well).

Phil

Those all sound like good ideas. I was thinking of a backup/sync tool to use with USB 'jump drives'. Panel applet, maybe. Click and it syncs the selected directories with those on the drive. User-definable behavior for handling conflicts when a file has been modified in both places. Options to exclude certain files, etc.

defkewl
May 7th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I think there are plenty of Python projects in sourceforge.net