PDA

View Full Version : What's the best idea be for an Official Ubuntu Mascot (not related to distributions)

migla
November 1st, 2006, 03:53 PM
The different releases have their different animal codenames, but should there also be a mascot for ubuntu in general? Why? What kind? Why not?

What kind of animal, if any, could represent "linux for human beings"?

MedivhX
November 1st, 2006, 04:03 PM
Yep. It maybe should. But not some stupid animal like that buffalo for GNU... maybe a parrot or something. LOL! Or maybe a dog as a man's best friend, or a monkey as closest being to human. Or some African animal ('cause Ubuntu is African word)

delfick
November 1st, 2006, 04:09 PM
i say the ubuntu icon is enough :D

ubuntu doesn't need a mascot, because for starters a mascot would have to be a human, cause it's a distro for human beings :D :p

and it's too good for a mascot :D:D (joke)

but if we really had to have a mascot, i say a giraffe cause they're cool (and tall) :D

(i voted no to the poll) :D

spinflick
November 1st, 2006, 04:15 PM
So long as it's not Brown ;)

turkenator
November 1st, 2006, 04:18 PM
lol if the maskt is gonna be human lol u can use my pic :D lol jokes
how about a wolf? deadly to enemies and friendly to friends :) ? im serious though

Reshin
November 1st, 2006, 04:27 PM
lol if the maskt is gonna be human lol u can use my pic :D lol jokes
how about a wolf? deadly to enemies and friendly to friends :) ? im serious though

And brown ;)

tribaal
November 1st, 2006, 04:31 PM
Well I like the logo the way it is, but if I had to pick an animal I'd probably go for an antilope: it's light brown (Hehe), friendly and elegant.

Anyway, I rather have anything else than the people on the CD jackets, but I don't really mind the logo. Actually I think it looks pretty sleek.

- trib'

fuscia
November 1st, 2006, 04:31 PM
no!

Rhubarb
November 1st, 2006, 04:32 PM
Don't need a mascot for Ubuntu. Not at all.

Does m$ or crapple have a mascot?
... a paper clip and a (1 button) mouse are not mascots.

rocknrolf77
November 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM
Don't need a mascot, the ubuntu logo works fine. But I agree on the cd case. Something better than the humans would look better. The logo is looking good. And the artwork is getting better for each release. The usplash would maybe look good on the cd case. Not the dapper off course.

raqball
November 1st, 2006, 04:39 PM
Oh ya some crazy looking cartoon guy :)

lazyart
November 1st, 2006, 04:47 PM
A penguin in blue jeans and a t-shirt... of course, that might make it look as if it's just for play, not real world stuff.

christhemonkey
November 1st, 2006, 04:57 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

maniacmusician
November 1st, 2006, 05:11 PM
no, please.

viper
November 1st, 2006, 05:16 PM
No

ember
November 1st, 2006, 05:33 PM
Emm ... no ... except for the neat little rabbit from plan9 ;)

dca
November 1st, 2006, 05:45 PM
The current logo is enough. If Canonical plans on selling support services for the Ubuntu family then it needs to stay professional... Although, with the human thing: they're more than welcome to use my avatar of Mel Gibson's mugshot if they need more humans...

IYY
November 1st, 2006, 06:23 PM
Tux is a perfectly good mascot.

turkenator
November 1st, 2006, 06:23 PM
yeah sure the wolf could be brown it would be really nice imho

paul cooke
November 1st, 2006, 07:06 PM
I voted no, but if we are going to have one, then something South African would be appropriate... like a Cape Penguin...

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/entertainment/papercraft/animal-global/c-penguin/index.html

enjoy the papercraft model... it's cute as heck... and there's loads of other animals there as well... including a South African Hedgehog... :D

migla
November 1st, 2006, 07:11 PM
The logo is nice, but if there should/would be a mascot aswell, maybe an astronaut or a giraffe- or crocodile- or some other-astronaut or maybe not...

spinflick
November 1st, 2006, 07:23 PM
How about this, only instead of a height chart we could have Ubuntu Release chart ;)

Reshin
November 1st, 2006, 07:28 PM
What about ubuntu-tan?

DoctorMO
November 1st, 2006, 08:32 PM
Yes but which one? I like the more african dressed girl sitting on the spear. but the white girl is cute too.

Old Pink
November 1st, 2006, 08:40 PM
Edubuntu, maybe. But Ubuntu, no, never.

Do we really need a playful character to visually represent an operating system?

Personally, I think it's stupid. Grow up!

DoctorMO
November 1st, 2006, 09:20 PM
It's important to get them while their young. although my 58 year old land lady simply wouldn't leave me alone until I put that 'oh-so-cute' baby tux on her bootsplash and loading screens. :-/

Reshin
November 1st, 2006, 09:45 PM
Personally, I think it's stupid. Grow up!

Lighten up, will ya? Sheesh!

chaosgeisterchen
November 2nd, 2006, 12:23 AM
It should definately have a mascot, something everyone can connect it to. People like things which have a promising mascot.

// edit

Ubuntu-tan is a good mascot I assume. The african girl more than the white one. Well, we could mix them up into one picture.

Lexam
November 2nd, 2006, 12:34 AM
I don't think Ubuntu should have a mascot especially since every distribution uses a different animal. I believe if anything the Tux is good because it represents all of linux.

Shay Stephens
November 2nd, 2006, 12:52 AM
I don't care for the mascot idea. Make a logo, but keep the mascots away, it just seems childish to me.

Silly mascot, ubuntu is for people...:D

Mr. Picklesworth
November 2nd, 2006, 12:54 AM
I think a mascot is unnecessary; there are enough mascots in the Linux world already, and the logo we have now looks excellent.
Besides, mascots are hard to agree on. (Eg: In my opinion: What's with the friendly devil thing for FreeBSD?!)

However, making more prominent use of the fun names for releases, like having a bit of Eft artwork for the Edgy release and Fawn artwork for the Feisty release, would be really nice.
...Just nice photographs available as alternate desktop backgrounds or something like that.

puppy
November 2nd, 2006, 12:54 AM
I'll vote for any mascot that makes me go "awww, I wanna cuddle it" :mrgreen: And I don't give a toss for professionalism, professionalism can go hang as far as I'm concerned - Ubuntu is for the little people [-(

;)

Old Pink
November 2nd, 2006, 01:02 AM
A mascot would make Ubuntu the butt of many jokes.

The arrival of a mascot could make me change distros. It's just so childish and unprofessional.

darkhatter
November 2nd, 2006, 02:01 AM
what about suse.....if you would switch over the mascot and not the happy, han holding, cultish figures then I think you need help

P.S. I'm joking

greggh
November 2nd, 2006, 02:06 AM
I spend so much time on this forum that I started to think that a cup of coffee was the mascot.

DaveBorealis
November 2nd, 2006, 03:13 AM
What's with the friendly devil thing for FreeBSD?!

Hey, now don't go bad mouthing Beastie! We FreeBSDers don't get the fame and press of Linux, but we love our mascot.

Dave
(Who never got over FreeBSD replacing Beastie.)

Compucore
November 2nd, 2006, 03:25 AM
I thought in general Tux the penguin for linux. (Any Distro in general) Would look good since it could apply to any one of them. I know certain mascots like Red Hat has their own. and I think Another has the lil devil as another. He's cute lovable and applies to all of them. I know I have seen several internet boards how loks.

Compucore

delfick
November 2nd, 2006, 04:52 AM
I spend so much time on this forum that I started to think that a cup of coffee was the mascot.

hell yes to that :D:D

kvonb
November 2nd, 2006, 04:57 AM
No, cos it is gay!

delfick
November 2nd, 2006, 06:16 AM
hmmm, here's a mascot we could use :D (joke)

highneko
November 2nd, 2006, 06:19 AM
Yes, it should be a cat. What the mascot looks like exactly should be decided by users.

steven8
November 2nd, 2006, 06:26 AM
Yes it should have a mascot, and I volunteer to wear the costume at all of our games. Home AND away!!

Rick Rack Ree. Kick 'em in the knee! Rick Rack Rass. Kick 'em in the. . .

You get the idea. :-)

Reshin
November 2nd, 2006, 06:49 AM
Hmmmm

Fedora/Redhat has a hat
Suse has a lizard
Firefox has a fox wrapped around the globe
Thunderbird has a phoenix

Yeah, can't take them seriously anymore...

steven8
November 2nd, 2006, 06:56 AM
The Firefox fox is not a mascot, so much as a very well crafted logo.

Reshin
November 2nd, 2006, 07:01 AM
The Firefox fox is not a mascot, so much as a very well crafted logo.

I'd pretty much say that yes, it is

Shay Stephens
November 2nd, 2006, 07:46 AM
Hmmmm

Fedora/Redhat has a hat
It's a logo that illustrates the name
Suse has a lizard
Lame, it is a mascot that has nothing to do with the name of the product.
Firefox has a fox wrapped around the globe
This is an illustration logo-ifying the name again
Thunderbird has a phoenix
Same as firefox, it's not a mascot that has nothing to do with the products name.

Yeah, can't take them seriously anymore...
A mascot is arbitrary and pointless.

The only thing that recommends it (imo) is tradition, and since I don't know the origin, I will guess it started with tux trying to mimic the logo from the gnu project but instead of making a logo that illustrates the name they went with a mascot that had nothing to do with the name. Projects since then have adopted a mascot instead of coming up with a well thought out logo, or having a mascot because that is what everyone else does.

Old Pink
November 2nd, 2006, 09:03 AM
Can't you be happy with Ubuntu's logo, the circle of people? Seriously, a mascot?!

Grow up! I'm so glad the majority of the votes say no to the mascot idea. :P

Lexam
November 2nd, 2006, 09:05 AM
No, cos it is gay!

Then maybe a rainbow flag as the mascot?

Reshin
November 2nd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Can't you be happy with Ubuntu's logo, the circle of people? Seriously, a mascot?!

Seriously, did you get beat up as kid by someone dressed up as a mascot or what?

glotz
November 2nd, 2006, 09:37 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuLogoMascotSuggestionMedicineMask

delfick
November 2nd, 2006, 09:40 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuLogoMascotSuggestionMedicineMask

the end of that reminded me of the paperclip.....

someone please shoot the mask (and the clip while your at it ) :D

migla
November 2nd, 2006, 11:33 AM

Yes, I can be happy with the logo.

AndyCooll
November 2nd, 2006, 01:29 PM
Nope. What we have now is enough

:cool:

steven8
November 2nd, 2006, 03:02 PM
Hmm. I'm not so sure I want to volunteer anymore. That mask would probably get danged heavy!! :-O

EdThaSlayer
November 2nd, 2006, 04:16 PM
I don't know of anything that can well...cover Ubuntu. But i guess maybe a African warrior guy? Or some elder type of person? Since its human...
If i had to choose a animal, why not use a lion to symbolize Ubuntu[power?].
I seriously don't know what we should use.

delfick
November 2nd, 2006, 04:22 PM
I seriously don't know what we should use.

that's because we don't need a mascot :D

spinflick
November 2nd, 2006, 07:22 PM
Oh look the medicine mask is everyone's favourite colours...Orange and Brown ;)

RussianVodka
November 2nd, 2006, 07:49 PM
I don't think Ubuntu should have a mascot especially since every distribution uses a different animal. I believe if anything the Tux is good because it represents all of linux.

How about we have tux dressed up as the release animal?

hk_2999
November 2nd, 2006, 07:54 PM
may i suggest a panda?

no...

well, anyway, have you guys remembered this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=385&si=ubuntu-tan

it's ubuntu's own OS-tan. Go here to know what OS-tan means. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OS-tans#Other_Distros . Windows and other OS' have OS-tans too, found on that article.

DoctorMO
November 2nd, 2006, 09:08 PM
This one is better:

http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3320

Bezmotivnik
November 2nd, 2006, 09:45 PM
In the actual words of the often-misquoted Wm. Tecumseh Sherman, "I will not accept if nominated and will not serve if elected." :mrgreen:

Besides, a penguin suit makes my butt look big.

Reshin
November 2nd, 2006, 09:50 PM
This one is better:

hmmh, that girl, exactly that pose, surrounded by people from different cultures.. :-k or at least around...

.t.
November 2nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
I don't think Ubuntu needs a mascot. I believe it is a very viable philosophy, and disagree that it could be better represented. The term and logo are all that're needed.

henriquemaia
November 3rd, 2006, 12:19 AM
No. Ubuntu is nice as it is.

ethan961
November 3rd, 2006, 12:24 AM
I agree.

mblinux
November 3rd, 2006, 12:35 AM
I believe the logo is more than enough. Ubuntu has become n.1 without a mascot. In any case I believe that is impossible to match a mascot with Ubuntu's philosophy. My opinion is that a mascot will only provide ways for a mistaken understanding/interpretation of Ubuntu's philosophy.

darkhatter
November 3rd, 2006, 12:46 AM
I'm scared of what they may come up with as a Logo

truico
November 7th, 2006, 11:17 AM
:-k Yes, I think so. How about a drake for 6.06 and an eft for 6.10, etc. etc.?;) Since I pasted the Ubunto sticker all over my hardware, I feel it needs something more. Something humorous maybe? I tried the internet, but the logo's available are so difficult to install, that I don't venture it, being a newbe.

mozetti
November 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Besides, a penguin suit makes my butt look big.

Oh, good. I thought I was the only one!

So this is what it sounds like, when doves (penguins?) cry ...
\\:D/

navneeth
November 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Ubuntu has a symbol, but does it have a mascot?

Like a geek, I was looking for a desktop wallpaper with penguins, and going through Wikipedia, I learnt that Gentoo was actually a species of penguins (I've been into this Linux thing for just about 3 months, you know). So I started wondering whether the Ubuntu community would choose a similar mascot for their favourite distro, especially since penguins can be found along the coast of South Africa.

What do you think?:)
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:6ChY-T6wm5sW-M:http://photos.case.edu/photo/373.jpg

[If this thread is best suited for some other part of the forum, please feel free to move it there.]

Rhubarb
November 20th, 2006, 11:32 AM
There was a poll exactly about this:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=290518

Personally I don't think Ubuntu should have a mascot.
M$ doesn't have one, nor does apple, nor does IBM, nor does Dell.
The logo is all that is needed IMO.

navneeth
November 20th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the link.

So should Ubuntu be closed-source because MS is? ;)

I like some of the ideas there, like a dog, for being a man's best friend, or some African animal. :)

Rhubarb
November 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM
So should Ubuntu be closed-source because MS is? ;)
*lol* That's a good one :p

Maybe m$ should be open source like Ubuntu is?
Maybe it should be a legal requirement to distribute copies of Ubuntu with a bar of (free trade) chocolate in developed countries? ;)

fuscia
November 20th, 2006, 01:56 PM
how about a dung beetle? we could call him 'oobie, the dung beetle'.

Gargamella
November 20th, 2006, 02:00 PM
i say the ubuntu icon is enough :D

ubuntu doesn't need a mascot, because for starters a mascot would have to be a human, cause it's a distro for human beings :D :p

and it's too good for a mascot :D:D (joke)

but if we really had to have a mascot, i say a giraffe cause they're cool (and tall) :D

(i voted no to the poll) :D

I agree: it's simple and well-done logo

mips
November 20th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I say NO !

Why ?

All these cutesy mascots & logos make linux look unprofessional imho. I does not project the linux image as something that would strike an accord in the business world. Have a professional logo & names.

I also think Ubuntu should drop the cutesy release names and just use version numbers which they already have. The Ubuntu logo is enough as far as I'm concerned.

chaosgeisterchen
November 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM
This one is better:

I love that one. It's my current wallpaper ;)

Gaweph
November 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I agree, there should not be a mascot. The logo is basically what we have to represent Ubuntu. And that is enough. If you really want a mascot then just use Tux, which means linux is general, but i dont think ubuntu itself should have a mascot animal.

hk_2999
November 20th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I say we should have Mr. Mark Shuttleworth as our mascot.

Why? People like seeing the creators of the products they are using, it makes them more confident, feel closer to the product and learn to like it better by associating the product to a person.

Just look at most products on the supermarket, some have pictures of their creators in them, like uncle linus' penguin sauce for example, and most people trust these products because they know and see who made them.

IYY
November 20th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Tux is the mascot.

Joeb
November 20th, 2006, 06:18 PM
:-k Yes, I think so. How about a drake for 6.06 and an eft for 6.10, etc. etc.?;) Since I pasted the Ubunto sticker all over my hardware, I feel it needs something more. Something humorous maybe? I tried the internet, but the logo's available are so difficult to install, that I don't venture it, being a newbe.

How about a guy dressed up in a duck suit? Then it could be a ManDrake? Oh, wait, there used to be a another distro with that name! :)

tomplast
December 16th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I can't give you a good and long reason why but I really think Ubuntu should get a mascot. KDE has Konqi (which is the BEST) and it would be fun if we had a mascot that people could associate Ubuntu with :D.

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 08:40 PM
merging this thread here:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=303344&highlight=mascot

RAV TUX
merging this thread here:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=303344&highlight=mascot

rfruth
Like this !

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM
now since I have merged the 3 threads on the same subject together...I will put in my 2.369 cents......

Yes! I think Ubuntu should have a Mascot.....

The Ubuntu Mascot should be a caricature of the first African Astronaut...(or Cosmonaut)....and we should call him M. Shuttleworth

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 08:48 PM
The Ubuntu Mascot should be a caricature of the first African Astronaut...(or Cosmonaut)....and we should call him M. Shuttleworth

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I think a community compeitition for the best design should be started....

Post your Renders here....

(again this is just therotical but if you want to post images for fun,...please do)

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I found these two images for inspiration:

from here:

http://www.edwexler.com/ed_wexler_bio.htm

http://www.aboutfacesentertainers.com/caricature/gag_pages/astronaut.htm

23meg
December 16th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I voted no. I wouldn't want to see Ubuntu characterized by one virtue of one person, no matter if it's the founder, especially when that virtue has no essential connection to Ubuntu. I think Mark himself would find that too egoistical as well.

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I voted no. I wouldn't want to see Ubuntu characterized by one virtue of one person, no matter if it's the founder, especially when that virtue has no essential connection to Ubuntu. I think Mark himself would find that too egoistical as well.
It wouldn't be egotistical for MS if the community choose it.

another idea is, we could leave off the name and pay tribute to the first African Cosmonaut....call him Ubinaut

or Ubuntunaut

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I like this picture...but it needs work to make it more cartoonish....and it needs a space hat

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4660/shuttleworth154pxfq7.jpg (http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4660/shuttleworth154pxfq7.jpg)

KiwiNZ
December 16th, 2006, 09:32 PM
What about Tux in a space suit ?

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 09:35 PM
What about Tux in a space suit ?

ahhh good idea...

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 10:06 PM
here are some tux mascots that seem to be good but not perfect....

TLE
December 16th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I vote no (this was in another thread). I rather like the way Tux is seen on every little piece of Linux related software/forum/homepages. It communicates a sense of unity in the FOSS world.

[Edit] Ahh well there we go

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 10:10 PM
here are some more TUX candidates:

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 10:12 PM
and a few more....

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 10:14 PM
It would almost have to a TUX that is all at once....Cosmonaut.....and very cool.....

We could call him UbunTUX.....Ubuntunaut???

anybody good at creating a good cutom TUX in a spacesuit?

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 10:18 PM
changed the poll as ideas have evolved....

Cosmonaut TUX?

UbunTUX?

Ubuntunaut?

Dropbear
December 16th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I'd like to see a mascot for each release. eg badger for breezy, drake for dapper, eft (whatever that is) for edgy and a fawn for feisty. I think that'd be cool. :)

Polygon
December 16th, 2006, 10:59 PM
some guy over in the art section of these forums created mascots for dapper / breezy and they looked really cool, let me go see if i can find them

edit:

http://www.ayuka.fr/images/Breezy.png

http://www.ayuka.fr/images/Dapper3.png

from here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=209452&highlight=mascot

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 11:07 PM
some guy over in the art section of these forums created mascots for dapper / breezy and they looked really cool, let me go see if i can find them

edit:

http://www.ayuka.fr/images/Breezy.png

http://www.ayuka.fr/images/Dapper3.png

from here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=209452&highlight=mascot

That is an awesome idea for individual releases....but a Mascot for Ubuntu is a different concept....it would have to be permanent....to work as a mascot for Ubuntu...

Again a Ubuntu Mascot......would be different from a release Mascot.....but they could both be used

TLE
December 16th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I just have to say that those release mascots are GREAT. Really really cool.

But now back to the subject. I think if were going to do this we have to think a little wider. A mascot or icon is supposed to be something that everybody can relate to, with perhaps only a single line of explanation. I don't think the astronaut thing qualifies like that. I mean, after all, what is it supposed to tell a newcomer about what Ubuntu is and stands for?

I know, I know it, it's always easier the criticize than make contributions. I don't have a concrete idea but I think It has to involve something about friendliness, helpfulness, open mindedness, and maybe something about a "new direction".

[Edit] Also I think we're narrowing in a little to soon, how about a real brainstorming session ?

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I just have to say that those release mascots are GREAT. Really really cool.

But now back to the subject. I think if were going to do this we have to think a little wider. A mascot or icon is supposed to be something that everybody can relate to, with perhaps only a single line of explanation. I don't think the astronaut thing qualifies like that. I mean, after all, what is it supposed to tell a newcomer about what Ubuntu is and stands for?

I know, I know it, it's always easier the criticize than make contributions. I don't have a concrete idea but I think It has to involve something about friendliness, helpfulness, open mindedness, and maybe something about a "new direction".good points but doesn't exploration of outer space pose a new direction for mankind?

TLE
December 16th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Yeah it does... I just fear that the parallel isn't simple enough. I mean some of us or perhaps even all of us that Mark went to space and it says something about his drive that may be reflected in the spirit of this distribution. But you can't explain that in one line: "Ubuntu linux, becuase mankind was once on the moon once, and will be so again in another.... 5 or 10 years..."

I mean something like a tux with his arms out welcoming you to come and get a hug, or three tux'es with their arms in each others shoulders as in the Ubuntu circle, saying something about community and working together. That is hard not to get right away.

Or maybe not something that is supposed to say anything at all, just something that could promote the logo and create a unified picture. Like tux bouncing a Ubuntu ring around his stomach like a hula-hoop ring. I don't know, as I said, I just think we need to give this a little more consideration before jumping into a poll.

23meg
December 16th, 2006, 11:46 PM
good points but doesn't exploration of outer space pose a new direction for mankind?
But the point is, what has it got to do with Ubuntu other than Mark being a space traveler? They can be related with a stretch, just like just about any two things, but it would be an unnecessary stretch.

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 11:49 PM
guys these are all good points...the poll is simply meant as a tool to inspire...but I agree I will remove it...

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 11:51 PM
updated;)

TLE
December 16th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Maybe you could start like a brainstorming thread and link to it from this one and some of the other mascot threads?

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Maybe you could start like a brainstorming thread and link to it from this one and some of the other mascot threads?
other mascot threads have been merged here....so this is the brainstorming thread;)

thesmartace
December 17th, 2006, 12:35 AM
As much as I don't think Ubuntu needs a mascot (Tux is good enough for all Linux ;) ) I don't mind the idea of a Meerkat as a mascot. They are cute and they are african.

RAV TUX
December 17th, 2006, 12:48 AM
As much as I don't think Ubuntu needs a mascot (Tux is good enough for all Linux ;) ) I don't mind the idea of a Meerkat as a mascot. They are cute and they are african.

do you have a picture......

I think a Jackass Penguin would be cool since they live in South Africa.

http://www.botany.uwc.ac.za/Envfacts/images/penguin.gif

The jackass penguin, a flightless seabird, is found nowhere in the world except off the coast of southern Africa, i.e. it is endemic to this area. It breeds on 24 offshore islands between Namibia and Port Elizabeth. Additional colonies were established in the 1980s on the mainland at Betty's Bay and Simonstown. There is also a colony on the mainland of Namibia, although it is not known when this colony was established. Nesting on the mainland is unusual for jackass penguins because they are ground-nesting birds and are vulnerable to the many predators on the mainland.
Jackass penguins used to nest by burrowing into guano (bird droppings which have accumulated into a hardish substance, sometimes several metres deep). Most of the nutrient-rich guano was removed for fertiliser in the 19th century. Penguins now nest in burrows in sand, under overhanging rocks, under bushes, or even in the open. Jackass penguins can breed at any time of the year, usually laying two eggs. Most adult birds feed during the day and the chicks are fed regurgitated food in the late afternoon. The parent birds take turns in guarding the nest site and catching food. Fish eaten include sardine, maasbanker and anchovy. Squid are also eaten.
POPULATION COLLAPSE
The total present population of jackass penguins is about 120 000 birds. In 1930, the total population numbered at least 1,2 million birds. Penguin numbers have therefore decreased by at least 90% in 60 years, and this fall is continuing. Dassen Island, off Yzerfontein, may have once sheltered over 1 million penguins - it now has about 30 000. Dyer Island, near Gaansbaai, now has about 20 000 penguins. The largest colony at present is St. Croix Island near Port Elizabeth, with about 50 000 penguins.
THREATS TO PENGUINS
The collapse of the jackass penguin population this century has been a result of the following:
* Harvesting of eggs for human consumption.
* Reduction of the penguin's food supply by commercial fishing.
* Oil pollution from oil tankers. This could devastate the major colonies. Oil tankers may illegally clean out their tanks as they pass round the Cape to fill up with oil in the middle east.
* Large-scale removal of guano in the 19th century has decreased the ability of penguins to construct nests through burrowing. This has led to increased competition for breeding space with larger animals such as seals. Penguins breeding on the mainland are vulnerable to mainland predators not found on islands, such as leopards, genets and domestic dogs and cats, and also to human disturbance unless the colonies are adequately fenced and patrolled.
CONSERVATION ACTION
All the islands where jackass penguins breed, except Robben Island, are protected as provincial nature reserves or fall within the West Coast National Park.
However, there is competition with seals for the limited breeding space available on some islands, and some individual seals are known to kill and eat penguins. At Mercury Island seals have been successfully displaced from penguin breeding sites. At Dassen and Robben Islands steps have been taken to eliminate the feral cat populations.
Efforts have been made to protect the new mainland breeding colonies at Betty's Bay and Simonstown. A 100-metre fence has been erected at Stony Point peninsula at Betty's Bay, and this is successfully preventing human disturbance and attacks by predators. The colony has grown to more than 100 nesting pairs.
The South African National Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds (SANCCOB) carries out valuable work in rescuing oil-soaked penguins (and other seabirds) and rehabilitating them back to the wild. SANCCOB has one of the world's highest rates of success in saving oiled seabirds, primarily because penguins respond better to captivity and cleaning than do flying birds.

WHAT YOU CAN DO
* Support SANCCOB as a volunteer, cleaning and feeding oil- soaked or injured penguins and other seabirds.
* Take oiled or injured penguins or seabirds to SANCCOB.
* Support SANCCOB by raising money for their work.
DID YOU KNOW?
* Jackass penguins are fast swimmers with an average speed of about 7 km\hour.
* Jackass penguins are efficient navigators. One oiled penguin which was rescued, cleaned and released on Robben Island in August 1971, travelled 800 km to Port Elizabeth within a month.
FURTHER READING
ROBERTS' BIRDS OF SOUTHERN AFRICA. G.L. Maclean. John Voelcker Bird Fund, Cape Town, 1985.
OCEANS OF LIFE OFF SOUTHERN AFRICA. A. Payne and R. Crawford (eds). Vlaeberg Publishers, Cape Town, 1989.
SECRETS OF THE SEAS. Illustrated guide to marine life off southern Africa. A. Payne and R. Crawford (eds). Vlaeberg Publishers, Cape Town, 1992.
All books are available from Russel Friedman Books, PO Box 73, Halfway House 1685. Tel. 011-7022300/1.
USEFUL CONTACTS
SANCCOB (http://www.exinet.co.za/enviro/sanccob/sanccoba.html) (South African National Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds). Cape Town, PO Box 11-116, Bloubergrant, 7443. Tel. 021-5576155.
Dept. Environment and Cultural Affairs (previously Cape Nature Conservation) P/Bag X9086, Cape Town, 8000. Tel. 021-483 4227.
National Parks Board. PO Box 7400, Roggebaai, 8012. Tel. 021-222816.
Dept. Environment Affairs and Tourism: Sea Fisheries Research Institute. P/Bag X2, Roggebaai, 8012. Tel. 021-402 3911.

http://www.botany.uwc.ac.za/Envfacts/facts/penguin.htm

In fact I think Ubuntu should be instrumental in the conservation of the Jackass Penguins.

yabbadabbadont
December 17th, 2006, 12:55 AM
do you have a picture......

http://images.google.com/images?nojs=1&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=meerkat&spell=1

EDIT: So you are saying that Ubuntu should be the official sponsors of "Jackass"? :lol:

RAV TUX
December 17th, 2006, 01:01 AM
http://images.google.com/images?nojs=1&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=meerkat&spell=1

EDIT: So you are saying that Ubuntu should be the official sponsors of "Jackass"? :lol:

not of "Jackass" but Jackass Penguins....with the recent demise of China's Yangtze River Dolphins...Ubuntu should be more active in African Wildlife Conservation....

The Bonobo's also are in emrgency need from being driven to extinction

yabbadabbadont
December 17th, 2006, 01:15 AM
not of "Jackass" but Jackass Penguins....with the recent demise of China's Yangtze River Dolphins...Ubuntu should be more active in African Wildlife Conservation....

The Bonobo's also are in emrgency need from being driven to extinction

Sounds like they were named, "Jackass", for a good reason. ;)

Ok, now for a serious comment. I'm for wildlife conservation, on whatever continent.

iPower
December 17th, 2006, 01:35 AM
There's a Ubuntu-tan so why not use her ? :)

RAV TUX
December 17th, 2006, 04:20 AM
how about a cute little animated cow...?

http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/7519/gaa113zk9jy2.gif (http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/7519/gaa113zk9jy2.gif)

yabbadabbadont
December 17th, 2006, 05:40 AM

http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/7519/gaa113zk9jy2.gif (http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/7519/gaa113zk9jy2.gif)

Hey! Isn't that Larry? :D

iPower
December 17th, 2006, 06:01 AM

makes me hungry :P

RAV TUX
December 17th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Hey! Isn't that Larry? :D

whose Larry?

JurB
December 17th, 2006, 11:42 AM
NO mascot!

yabbadabbadont
December 17th, 2006, 10:56 PM
whose Larry?

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml

For a rather long and winding discussion about Larry see:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-473584-highlight-larry+mascot.html

RAV TUX
December 17th, 2006, 11:00 PM
http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml

For a rather long and winding discussion about Larry see:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-473584-highlight-larry+mascot.html

ahhh! Larry the cow.

http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/5898/posteruq3.jpg (http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/5898/posteruq3.jpg)
Gentoo, Linux for Cows.:rolleyes:

Simply Awesome!

yabbadabbadont
December 17th, 2006, 11:43 PM
ahhh! Larry the cow.

http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/5898/posteruq3.jpg (http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/5898/posteruq3.jpg)
Gentoo, Linux for Cows.:rolleyes:

Simply Awesome!

Actually, it is "Gentoo, Linux for gender confused Cows." :twisted:

(that is one of the things that gets up people's noses in that thread to which I linked)

KaelG
December 17th, 2006, 11:47 PM
No

Agreed.

Roman78
December 18th, 2006, 01:58 PM
What's the big idea to having a mascot for a linux distro? Hmmm what about a Tiger? Oh wait... i already have a Tiger on one of my computers :rolleyes:

But i don't think that Ubuntu needs a mascot. Maybe something else "the Ubuntu face (female of course) " or somthing like that. Or a mystic being. Or just the well known logo....

Cyvros
December 19th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Maybe a variation of Tux that looks a bit like Mark Shuttleworth. :D Or perhaps three Tuxes in the Ubuntu circle (we've got humans doing it now, why not penguins?).

Or, on a less totally-ridiculous note, just the logo.

steven8
December 19th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Gentoo, Linux for Cows

That is UDDERLY ridiculous!!

yabbadabbadont
December 20th, 2006, 12:39 AM
That is UDDERLY ridiculous!!

<Bart Simpson>Don't have a cow, man!</Bart Simpson>

:lol:

spockrock
December 20th, 2006, 01:31 AM
for real how about this...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/redemma/personal/003.gif

its doesn't get any tougher then that.

......and yes, I am 24 listen to death metal, and love a childrens cartoon show about a bunch of hamsters getting into crazy adventures.....and I really mean it if the ubuntu mascot was a hamster, not necessarily hamtaro, mostly due to the copy right issues, but a hamster none the less drawn in a similar fashion.

Cyvros
December 20th, 2006, 01:01 PM
for real how about this...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/redemma/personal/003.gif

its doesn't get any tougher then that.

......and yes, I am 24 listen to death metal, and love a childrens cartoon show about a bunch of hamsters getting into crazy adventures.....and I really mean it if the ubuntu mascot was a hamster, not necessarily hamtaro, mostly due to the copy right issues, but a hamster none the less drawn in a similar fashion.
I like it. Has my vote.

Aww... it's so cute. :)