PDA

View Full Version : Do you donate? (To anything?)

Sunnz
December 16th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Who do you donate to? Random dev for FLOSS like Ubuntu, Mozilla, etc; OR somebody else who are desperate like MSF, Red Cross... or something else???

If you donate to more than one thing, who do you donate most? Least? Why?

hoagie
December 16th, 2006, 01:02 PM
No I don't donate I can't afford to donate, to open source organizations. Well I don't donate (buy windows) to Microsoft neither.

23meg
December 16th, 2006, 01:04 PM
With FOSS I donate small amounts to small projects who are in greatest need of financial help, and independent developers who have radical, unaccustomed ways of approaching problems. With humanitarian organizations it's hard to prioritize; there's too much war and deprivation from basic needs around the world, and I just donate whenever I can to whatever comes my way. I last donated money to a Katrina hurricane fund.

Even a small amount means a lot to independent developers; it's good to feel someone is enthusiastic enough about what you're developing to support it financially. I also like to imagine a developer using my twenty dollars to go out and buy groceries, coffee etc.

xpod
December 16th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Charity begins at home im afraid..In fact with my 5 kids i`m considering starting a "save the parents" charity;)

Although i will certainly be donating a little something to Ubuntu in some way after the year....
Just to show all our gratitude.:mrgreen:

OffHand
December 16th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Greenpeace

23meg
December 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Although i will certainly be donating a little something to Ubuntu in some way after the year....Ubuntu isn't really in need of financial help right now; you should consider donating to a project that's in greater need of money instead, and showing your gratitude to Ubuntu with other non-financial means.

argie
December 16th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Greenpeace
I donate a fifth my allowance to the local Greenpeace too. Well, I think they use it locally. Not that I have anything against the non-local parts, it's just that when they're local I find it easier to see that they're doing useful stuff, y'know. This way I don't have to worry about what is anti-Greenpeace propaganda and what's true corruption and if they actually used all their donation money to fly a jet-powered tree (with turtles on it) into the WTC.

xyz
December 16th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I don't; I can't...money I mean!
Well I donate what I can to family and good friends.
I listen to people's problems a lot.

lwr
December 16th, 2006, 01:34 PM
I sponsor a child in India through Compassion (http://www.compassionuk.org/site/pages/ui_home.aspx). I know it's only one kid I'm helping, but it's an awesome thought that what I do can have a huge affect on his life. Plus, it's great to be able to write him letters, and have him write stuff back. I'm looking forward to see how he changes as he grows up.
As for FOSS projects, I don't donate anything at the moment, but maybe will when I'm earning.

xpod
December 16th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Ubuntu isn't really in need of financial help right now; you should consider donating to a project that's in greater need of money instead, and showing your gratitude to Ubuntu with other non-financial means.

Oh im sure i`ll find some aspect of it that i could send a buck or 2 to.....the forums themselves were crying out for often enough......(i remember all them time out`s and double posts)
As i said....im sure there will be "some way" i can donate that would be useful:D

Unfortunately showing my gratitude in those "other" ways you mention is still mostly well beyond my capabilities and in reality i`ll probably never really know much more than the basics as THATS all i really need to know.Copy & paste is a wonderful thing::rolleyes:

I only sat down at a pc back in March so as to KNOW what my kids were taliking about when they themselves began using them so as long as i can help them to some degree and mabey help some folks with the basic basics that i was helped with then thats good enough for me....

I spend plenty time now helping all my friends,family and neighbours with their never-ending stream of pc(win) problems hence theres many a working pc round these parts thanks to the little i have learned so im doing my bit in other ways i suppose.....saved some folks many a pound note.

Mabey just diagnosing XP.O.D`s for them folks too and installing ubuntu would be making a better "contribution" mind you eh.:twisted:

It`s all good m8

Bezmotivnik
December 16th, 2006, 03:36 PM
No.

After a lifetime of exposure to the seedy underside of the charity industry, I am a firm believer in Cohen's Law: "All charities are rackets."

If you want to do good, do it directly and cut out the middleman.

Sunnz
December 16th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Oh im sure i`ll find some aspect of it that i could send a buck or 2 to.....the forums themselves were crying out for often enough......(i remember all them time out`s and double posts)
As i said....im sure there will be "some way" i can donate that would be useful:D

Unfortunately showing my gratitude in those "other" ways you mention is still mostly well beyond my capabilities and in reality i`ll probably never really know much more than the basics as THATS all i really need to know.Copy & paste is a wonderful thing::rolleyes:

I only sat down at a pc back in March so as to KNOW what my kids were taliking about when they themselves began using them so as long as i can help them to some degree and mabey help some folks with the basic basics that i was helped with then thats good enough for me....

I spend plenty time now helping all my friends,family and neighbours with their never-ending stream of pc(win) problems hence theres many a working pc round these parts thanks to the little i have learned so im doing my bit in other ways i suppose.....saved some folks many a pound note.

Mabey just diagnosing XP.O.D`s for them folks too and installing ubuntu would be making a better "contribution" mind you eh.:twisted:

It`s all good m8
Have you ever written a wiki/howto?

Sounds like you are not into programming and actually developing Ubuntu; but if Ubuntu doesn't have funding problems, and you are kinda know how in terms of user end stuff, maybe wiki/howtos are the way to go?

Just my $0.02.

BarfBag
December 16th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I donated when this forum needed more bandwidth.

beercz
December 16th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I donated when this forum needed more bandwidth.

Me too!

But I also donate to charities a lot throughout the year, to both international and home based charities, and have done some fundrasing in the past.

I live in a country that is lucky enough to have the world's 4th or 5th richest economy (UK), so I don't understand the need to give to charities in the UK when we can afford it.

I don't really want to start a political debate, or flame war (too late?), so moving on .....

K.Mandla
December 16th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I donated to Canonical to cover the cost of that weirdo chopping up the Ubuntu CDs on YouTube.

I've thought about donating to the Ryzom.org project, but I'm stretched a little thin until after the holidays. 8-[

aretei
January 22nd, 2007, 01:19 AM
I'm an associate member of FSF as I firmly support the Free Software Movement, but it seems like not many people here are supportive of the movement. I also buy ubuntu apparels from the Cafepress store as I like their design and the prices are reasonable. I think it helps contribute by advertising ubuntu and by a portion of my money going directly to ubuntu.

Randomskk
January 22nd, 2007, 01:35 AM
I'll donate now and again to a few things I find worthwhile, but nothing regular. Often when something I use a lot needs money I'll consider donating - these forums and wikipedia are examples.
Plus you get things like garry's mod (www.garrysmod.com), which I was more than happy to pay $10 for.

Plus since most projects ask for USD I can donate plenty because the pound is so strong against the dollar right now :D

teaker1s
January 22nd, 2007, 01:41 AM
I provide night security for charity events thru the carnival club-so the club gets money to build a cart, the charity event gets extremely good and sub commercially run business priced security.
But the security is all proper approved and insured, without the usual cost:guitar:

wert613
January 22nd, 2007, 01:57 AM
i donated to the forums...