PDA

View Full Version : What would you give for free NVidia drivers?

michaeljt
December 15th, 2006, 10:36 PM
If postings I have read in various places are to be believed, a lot of people would seriously like to see free drivers for NVidia graphics cards. There is a project (nouveau - nouveau.freedesktop.org) underway to create these. However, I think that if enough people joined together to put some money towards paying someone to work full time on the project it might noticably accelerate it.

I have decided to try an experiment, and create a bounty which anyone interested in these drivers can contribute to. The address is
https://launchpad.net/bounties/free-nvidia-drivers
A hundred contributions of twenty five dollars ought to pay for a week of developer time. Two hundred for two weeks. Someone familiar with the project should be able to make some progress in this time. I am interested to see if how many contributions come.

If you think that this is an interesting idea, tell other people as well!

Klaidas
December 15th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I'm happy with the ones there are as long as they work nicely ;)

MetalMusicAddict
December 15th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Ive also heard that most of the really smart people that can work on GFX drivers already work for companies like nVidia and ATI. I even think the guy who used to do the Omega Drivers for windows got hired.

While I think the experiment is a cool one, in the end, I would just switch to whatever company developed open drivers for their card.

mushroom
December 15th, 2006, 10:51 PM
I'll donate $20 or so when I get it. All-free software is a nice goal. Not a top priority at this point, but it would be nice. How's Gnash doing?

GeneralZod
December 15th, 2006, 10:54 PM
You might be interested in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=299516

Halcy0n
December 15th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I'm happy with the non-free ones so long as they work (and I've never personally had a problem). Having free ones would be cool, but it isn't something that is really important to me. I'll use whichever works best :)

Somenoob
December 15th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Free as in freedom to study the source code?

darkhatter
December 16th, 2006, 02:12 AM
my soul, and first born child

yabbadabbadont
December 16th, 2006, 02:15 AM
my soul, and first born child

Daddy! How could you!?! :lol:

michaeljt
December 16th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Free as in freedom to study the source code?

Yes.