PDA

View Full Version : Acer 7112 Wondered what you thought...

encompass
December 15th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Here is where I am getting it from...
http://www.verkkokauppa.com/popups/prodinfo.php?id=10581
Here is a more details yet no so details detail... :P
http://www.acer.fi/acereuro/page9.do?sp=page4&dau34.oid=17037&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=7&CountryISOCtxParam=FI&LanguageISOCtxParam=fi&ctx3=54&ctx4=Suomi&crc=4291590791

The computer's hardware seems to be on a good guy list of items. Intel everything... and even if the wireless doesn't work, I have my trusty wireless that can plug into pcmcia. At least I hope with this model.

If anyone has used this one speak up. Cause your hard to find.

Any further pointers on this system. I found an identical chassis and liked it. Especially the full sized keyboard.
My concerns for a computer came in this order.
1.Ram 1024
2.Screen 17'
3.Intel everything (why? cause they REALLY DO support linux. Unlike Amd and Nvidia)
4.Remote Features
5.Webcam
6.Heck, run out of ideas
Speed is not of any concern for me. I am a patient man with a fast computer at home for games.

If you have any comments about it before I buy it screem so that I won't make a big mistake.
My concerns are the graphics and wireless do you think they will work ok?

cbudden
December 15th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Looks like a good machine! I have that wireless card working fine with Edgy and network manager.

encompass
December 15th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the wireless info. It is relieving to here that after so many years of no hardware company supporting linux. Go INTEL!

mips
December 15th, 2006, 10:25 PM
For a 17" screen the resolution really sucks(wxga).

If you are going for that size display get at least WSXGA+ or WUXGA.

I do not like celeron cpu's, I would rather have Pentium M as a minimum.

encompass
December 16th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Resoluition is not an issue... I have bad vision so it has to be a low detail level anyway. Thanks for the advise on that one. I do understand.
My big concern is that I wont get the 3d support with the 950. Becuase I have only found people with 945 and I would be the first of my friends with the 950. So we are all unsure about it working with 3d support in linux.
Any yeah, it is slow... but so it my current one. But I am not complaining. Celeron 700 here with 200mb ram. I need it becuase my old one doesn't have enough battery while I am on the train to and from school.

mips
December 16th, 2006, 11:10 AM
I need it becuase my old one doesn't have enough battery while I am on the train to and from school.

17" is gonna be heavy to lug around imho, it's not really mobile.

encompass
December 16th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Point taken...
Dang, it is such a hard choice.
I pick something a little faster maybe even a core duo... but most of the systems don't have the hardware I want. for example, a pcmcia slot. They are all going express cards. I will look for an alternative for a smaller screen version. But we shall see. I don't have any problem having logged with me because my bag is big enough and I bike when I am not on the train.

mcduck
December 16th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I've never really liked the build quality of Acer. They feel like you really have to handle them carefully.. I suggest you should look if you can find some Asus one. Thinkpads are good too, but a bit expensive.

And yes, Core CPU would be a good idea.

encompass
December 16th, 2006, 06:09 PM
I've never really liked the build quality of Acer. They feel like you really have to handle them carefully.. I suggest you should look if you can find some Asus one. Thinkpads are good too, but a bit expensive.

And yes, Core CPU would be a good idea.
http://www.verkkokauppa.com/popups/prodinfo.php?id=17581
was my other solution. Seems ok, but they won't tell me what chipset it has for the wireless. and it doesn't have pcmcia so I can't use my old card for wireless if I get screwed. And it is even a little, very little, faster.

mcduck
December 16th, 2006, 06:48 PM
http://www.verkkokauppa.com/popups/prodinfo.php?id=17581
was my other solution. Seems ok, but they won't tell me what chipset it has for the wireless. and it doesn't have pcmcia so I can't use my old card for wireless if I get screwed. And it is even a little, very little, faster.

The Asus one seems to have a Centrino label, so that would mean that it has Intel chipset and wireless.

edit: oops, sorry, the A7F I found with Centrino label had a Core 2 CPU.. I can't seem to find that exact model from www.asus.com? But I'm pretty sure that it's Intel one, I don't think Asus would have a different wireless fot celeron models..

mips
December 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Seems ok, but they won't tell me what chipset it has for the wireless.

Tell the to go... It's not a trade secret what chipset is in use. They are just being full of shite and I would avoid them if they have an attitude like that. Maybe contact Asus Finland and ask them, at the same time complain abou the dealer.

encompass
December 17th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I have decided to start looking at that model now... here is the forum for it...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1896713#post1896713
Love to keep getting your support.
If you see them at the store.. try them out... tell me what you think.