PDA

View Full Version : Windows continues to suck

zapcojake
December 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I have read quite a few articles the past few days about the suckness of the new windows vista. People hate it and it ain't even out yet. In contrast people are already trying/wanting to use Feisty on their desktops. I think the nest 18 months are going to be very exciting in computing, Maybe Ubuntu is closing the Desktop gap with windows.

Hendrixski
December 15th, 2006, 04:00 PM
That won't stop people from buying it pre-packaged with their computers, and using it out of not knowing other options exist.

Brunellus
December 15th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Linux users tend to be committed. Not as in "confined to mental institutions" (although it may seem that way), but as in "determined to get thier OS of choice to work well."

Windows users, on the other hand...

Klaidas
December 15th, 2006, 04:13 PM
If some followers of the FOSS ideology are saying that they don't like Vista, it doesn't mean that something's gonna happen. Well, maybe there will be 0,00001% less upgrades. Maybe 5 copies of Vista won't be bought. But that doesn't mean much, does it?

I'm not trying to be rude, but there are just waaay too many threads about "the end of Windows era" and Ubuntu taking MS's market.

Brunellus
December 15th, 2006, 04:15 PM
If some followers of the FOSS ideology are saying that they don't like Vista, it doesn't mean that something's gonna happen. Well, maybe there will be 0,00001% less upgrades. Maybe 5 copies of Vista won't be bought. But that doesn't mean much, does it?

I'm not trying to be rude, but there are just waaay to many threads about predicting "the end of Windows era" and Ubuntu taking MS's market.
Agreed.

Popoi
December 15th, 2006, 04:18 PM
It's a long road yet.

OS's based on Linux must keep going in the same way. MS has a tremendous power on market and industry, it's a pain in the neck.

aysiu
December 15th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Moved to a more appropriate forum.

zapcojake
December 15th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Its not just FOSS people, One of the articles was on Cnet I believe. People are sick of the same ole'. I'd be interested to see what would would happen if Ubuntu aligned itself with a computer manufacturer and sold "shrink wrapped" Linux boxes.

machoo02
December 16th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Like the ones for sale by System 76 (http://www.system76.com)?

aysiu
December 16th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Except that most people have never heard of System76, and System76 doesn't ship internationally.

I assumed zapcojake was talking about a major manufacturer like Dell, HP, or Sony.

Wall86
December 17th, 2006, 06:19 AM
im sure that if dell or even MDG (canadian company like dell) where to start offering a "value" alternative like ubuntu, that many people would jump on the band wagon, people will learn new things to save a few extra bucks, but also, linux in general still has this whole "you must be uber geek just to install" personna surrounding it, and to some extent that can be true,

but, if ubuntu where to grow in popularity, many many more hardware vendors and manufacturers are going to have to start taking linux into consideration.

OttifantSir
December 17th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I haven't got the hardware to try Vista. I am usually sitting on a seven year old laptop for all my work online, or offline, and my P3 server doesn't seem to meet the requirements, so I haven't bothered trying it.

But I would like to know what the significant differences is between XP and Vista. I haven't heard anything that makes me desire it. Even when not taking into consideration that I love Ubuntu. So, anybody know what the differences are?

All I know, is that I would love to have a Vista-ready or Vista-premium machine with Ubuntu on it.

Bartender
December 17th, 2006, 06:11 PM
January 2007 MaximumPC has a 4-page article on what they like/don't like about Vista. Don't know if you're familiar with MaxPC, but to me they don't come off as MS fanboys.

They gave Vista a "7".

MaxPC is geared towards high-end PC's, and gaming is a large part of that world. Since Vista is the only OS that supports DirectX 10 they're kinda stuck with moving to it.

Brunellus
December 18th, 2006, 12:48 AM
January 2007 MaximumPC has a 4-page article on what they like/don't like about Vista. Don't know if you're familiar with MaxPC, but to me they don't come off as MS fanboys.

They gave Vista a "7".

MaxPC is geared towards high-end PC's, and gaming is a large part of that world. Since Vista is the only OS that supports DirectX 10 they're kinda stuck with moving to it.
MaxPC is a Windows shill. I'm not interested in them.

PatrickMay16
December 18th, 2006, 01:25 AM
A guy I know who is a programmer and generally cool guy tells said in a conversation today "I suppose I should switch now vista is out. It's absolute s***".

Heh! Heh! Heh! Heh! I agree with him. I tell you, you shouldn't need such crazy requirements just for the operating environment. And what about laptops... you need to be careful with energy consumption on those, so vista will suck even worse and drain your battery very quickly. I tell you, that's no good. You need more battery life than VISTA can give you,

Yossarian
December 18th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by OttifantSir
I haven't got the hardware to try Vista. I am usually sitting on a seven year old laptop for all my work online, or offline, and my P3 server doesn't seem to meet the requirements, so I haven't bothered trying it.

But I would like to know what the significant differences is between XP and Vista. I haven't heard anything that makes me desire it. Even when not taking into consideration that I love Ubuntu. So, anybody know what the differences are?

All I know, is that I would love to have a Vista-ready or Vista-premium machine with Ubuntu on it.

Vista is XP with flames painted on the side. There's a couple of new bundled apps, some of which aren't bad, but all of which can basically be replaced by freeware. The shell and look are a little different. I've been reading Paul Thurott's ongoing review, and can't for the life of me figure out why he seems to be so impressed with it.

renzokuken
December 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM
After using a Vista RC for a while i have to say i got thoroughly pissed off with it. It was so unintuitive. I saw no real improvements in it over XP other than some fancy new eye-candy, which added up to not much more than "clutter" in my opinion.

I feel XP is still the best MS release so far and a lot of non-computer-savvy people are going to get initially very confused with Vista when they start. I personally had an easier time migrating from XP to Ubuntu than from XP to Vista.

But at the end of the day, this is just my opinion and it all boils down to the fact that the majority of hardware, commercial software etc are designed specifically for Windows and so Vista is the natural (inevitable) "large-scale" progression. The vast majority don't know they have a choice. If you actually did a survey of everyday computer users from all walks of life, all over the world, i reckon there would be a shockingly high percentage of people who dont even know what linux/BSD/etc. is (let alone care). Windows is already on the hardware they buy so why bother changing it? We all know the answer to that, but they dont. And who's gonna tell them? Not Microsoft, not Dell, not PCworld!

(i'm getting more irate as i write this so i apologise)

Everytime you hear in the main news and media of a new virus or system vulnerability, they NEVER mention that it is a Windows specific problem. They simply refer to it as "your computer", making no mention of the fact that there are countless other OSes out there with no such security risks.