PDA

View Full Version : glibc?

Starcraftmazter
December 15th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Hello.

I just installed ubuntu 6.06 for home use. I now need to install lamp. I will be building everything from source. I have some experience with this, reconfiguring and rebuilding php when adding extensions on a remote centos box.

Now, when getting mysql (I don't want the special ubuntu one), whats the difference between these two:

Linux (x86, glibc-2.2, "standard" is static)
Linux (x86)

Thanks!

ZERO_SHIFT
December 15th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Maybe one is a dependent on the other?

Starcraftmazter
December 15th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Thats what I figured, but then does Ubuntu come with glibc or not? And what is it anyway?

Come on, I need more info :confused:

ZERO_SHIFT
December 15th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Why dont you just install both?

Starcraftmazter
December 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Both contain mysql, one has glibc and one doesn't (as far as I understand). No need to install something already there, I just want to know if I need to or not....SURELY at least one person here knows?!

yabbadabbadont
December 15th, 2006, 12:05 PM
glibc is the standard C shared library that exists on all linux machines. The difference between those two downloads is that one of them has already been statically linked to the exact version of glibc it needs and so won't use the one already on the system. The other has been dynamically linked and will (try to) use the glibc shared library that is already installed. Your safest choice would probably be to get the version that has been statically linked.

Starcraftmazter
December 15th, 2006, 12:08 PM

yabbadabbadont
December 15th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Just for completeness: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glibc

winch
December 15th, 2006, 05:15 PM
If you want to build everything from source you need to download the source not precompiled binaries. It's a long time since I last built mysql from source but back they didn't make the source downloads obvious, you had to look for them.

I'd apt-get mysql myself. it's less hassle unless there is something wrong with the ubuntu packages?

Starcraftmazter
December 16th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Yeh, they're ages out of date.