PDA

View Full Version : Which kind of nerd do you respect the most?

Hendrixski
December 14th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Which kind of nerd do you think deserves the most respect?

? Kernel Developers

? Bug fixers/ sSecurity Patchers

? Cool graphics Developers (like xgl or enlightenment)

? Distribution Maintainers

? Consultants

? Helpful forum posters who answer your questions

? Other (please specify)

How would you rank these? and why?

Circus-Killer
December 14th, 2006, 09:05 PM
other (all of the above) :p

Henry Rayker
December 14th, 2006, 09:06 PM
They're all very different and all deserve respect.

Hendrixski
December 14th, 2006, 09:08 PM
They're all very different and all deserve respect.

I know I know, but if you had to pick one

or at least which do you think ranks lowest?

drphilngood
December 14th, 2006, 09:55 PM
other (all of the above) :p

I have to agree with Circus-Killer as they are all important.

Hendrixski
December 14th, 2006, 11:56 PM
I think the security guys are more important. The people who do the mind numbing job of fixing the small things and keeping Linux from becoming like Windows.

I have to agree with Circus-Killer as they are all important.

If I had put Microsoft Developer and Game developer in there this may have been a more lively discussion

JayTee
December 15th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I'd hate to rank them because they are all equally important even though the work they do is different from one another. On a level of personal bias I would lean toward the forum posters that answer my questions. If it wasn't for many of the forum moderators and many forum members who've taken their time to help me I'd have eventually gotten frustrated and maybe would have given up on Ubuntu but there are so many very intelligent and very helpful people here that it's made the whole move to linux much easier than it would have been without them. That's not in anyway trying to slight the value of all the developers, kernel devs, security patch devs, package maintainers and the eye candy folks whose hard work has given us a secure, stable and valuable alternative to Windows and the freedom that comes with it. To put it bluntly, I hold all of them in awe!

samjh
December 15th, 2006, 08:02 AM
I really cannot rank them. It's impossible to rank, because I choose those whom I respect based on their individual merits, rather than their occupation or hobby.

23meg
December 15th, 2006, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't and can't rank them. They all work on different things in different ways, and all deserve respect.

slavik
December 15th, 2006, 08:12 AM
well, I picked bug fixers and patchers, even though their task is as difficult as the kernel devs and distribution maintainers.

reason for bug fixers is because even if you know why a bug occurs, it is not always easy to see it in code ... like leaving out the '$' when refering to a variable in a simple perl for loop, or looking at weird multithreaded code and trying to figure out what exactly happens.

Hendrixski
December 15th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I'm kind of surprised that many people's response is that they're all equally important. In retrospect I guess it makes sense, it's a community, everyone plays a part.

Except, nobody seems to have voted for consultants :( I'm a consultant, and use Open Source toolkits for a lot of big companies. So I bring open source to people much the same way that you show Ubuntu to your friends and get them to use it, then help them configure it and learn to use it (except I get paid to do that). But very few lines of the code I write are worth submitting back to the open source projects I use (nor legally allowed to be contributed back). So I bow my head to the people who develop them, maintain them, distribute and package them. But most of all I bow my head to the people who develop the Kernel (that seriously can't be fun) and the people who keep Linux (and many open source applications) more secure than Windows and many proprietary applications. That is truly admirable. So, I'll say, I still respect the security patching nerds the most.