PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: CMI8378, Alsa, software mixing and 5.1 sound in xmms

BeeRockxs
May 5th, 2005, 03:35 AM
This will get you software mixing (multiple sounds at the same time), and lets you play MP3s in xmms on your surround boxes, not just on your front left and right boxes.

First, create a .asoundrc file in your home directory, and put this into it:

pcm.dmix51 {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:0,1"
rate 48000
channels 6
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_time 0
buffer_size 4096
}
}
pcm.stereo {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmix51"
ttable.0.0 1
ttable.1.1 1
}
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "stereo"
}
pcm.duplicate {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmix51"
slave.channels 6
route_policy duplicate
}

Then, change the output plugin in xmms to the alsa plugin (press CTRL-P), and then click configure. Set the output device to "duplicate".
If you also want software mixing in xine, set the alsa_surround51_device in the xine configuration to "dmix51".
With this setting, for all applications that use the default output get outpont on front left and front right speakers. All that have 5.1 sound should use the dmix51 device.

jazzorist
May 5th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Thank you! :)

BeeRockxs
May 5th, 2005, 04:50 PM
I'm glad I could help, I've been fighting ALSA quite some time to get this working :-)

freelovemat
May 8th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Finally the centerbox works. Thanks a lot... \\:D/

sukker
May 23rd, 2005, 05:58 PM
Have some problems with getting 5.1 too. Is there any kind of script that would fix this while I'm using an usb-audio-device (Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB MKII)?
I only get sound on the right and left front box, neither on subwoofer, center or rear and all those tips posted in several forums didn't work for me.
So I hope there is another useful script ;) THX

Mataanin
August 15th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Hello,

I have some problem with the script
I have followed your instructions with few exceps: I didn't find 'Output device' (in the xmms, Ctrl+P, Alsa plugin, Configure). In the Audio device section I have 'default'.
Then I try to play smth. XMMS Says "Coundn't open audio" and outputs:

"ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:868: (snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave"

Do you have any ideas? ](*,)

MrJack
September 3rd, 2005, 12:56 PM
How could you ? Why me ?
I just paid 30 bucks for a sound blaster and now i got my old card to work full 5.1. Bastard!

kidding :D.(well i did buy a new card , but who cares :D)
Cheers man , i owe you a beer ! :smile:
(you can't eaven imagine how long i've tryed to make this work !You'r just pure genius :D)

...dose anyone know why xmms stops when i "pause" it ? (it's like i pressed stop , and resume dose not work)

Tschaeck
October 7th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Have some problems with getting 5.1 too. Is there any kind of script that would fix this while I'm using an usb-audio-device (Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB MKII)?
I only get sound on the right and left front box, neither on subwoofer, center or rear and all those tips posted in several forums didn't work for me.
So I hope there is another useful script ;) THX
using that asoundrc as it is doesn't work for my terratec aureon 5.1 usb mkII. i had to change hw:0,1 to hw:1,0. now i hear sound on all 6 channels, but it is distorted and always overlaid by a sharp buzzing.
any ideas on how to get this fixed?

Tschaeck
October 9th, 2005, 03:50 PM
search arround in the www and finally put together this asoundrc file:

pcm.dmix51 {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_key_add_uid false
ipc_perm 0666
slave {
pcm "hw:1,0"
channels 6
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 8192
rate 44100
}
}

ctl.dmix51 {
type hw
card 1
}

pcm.stereo {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmix51"
ttable.0.0 1
ttable.1.1 1
}

pcm.!default {
type route
slave.pcm "dmix51"
slave.channels 6
ttable.0.0 1
ttable.1.1 1
ttable.0.2 1
ttable.1.3 1
ttable.0.4 1
ttable.1.4 1
ttable.0.5 1
ttable.1.5 1
}

pcm.duplicate {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmix51"
slave.channels 6
route_policy duplicate
}

it is working excellent with my terratec aureon 5.1 usb mkII.

Vlammetje
October 20th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Well I do have 6 channels. but unfortunately it's added enormous static to my sound as well... to the point where all you hear is static. :(

Any suggestions?

george_apan
January 28th, 2006, 12:25 AM
I just wanted to say thanks for this. I just bought a Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB MkII sound card and using the script provided by Tschaeck I get sound from all speakers in xmms. The only difference following BeeRockxs' instructions was that I selected the "default" Audio Output in Alsa configuration in xmms, since there was no "duplicate" one. So thanks again everyone! :)

eug2k
February 23rd, 2006, 04:10 AM
This did not work at all for me. I have an sb live 24bit (no hardware mixing). All this did was change my output from front to rear speakers and make it very choopy as well. I think I will try arts.

hobs0n
June 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM
It seems this work with my Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB MK.2, before I added the .asoundrc file it didnt play at all, now it plays but I dont get any sound, I am connecting it by a Optical to my stereo. Anyone got an idea?

bugg_tb
September 6th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I realise this is an old thread, but I've tried about a million different configurations and I can't get more than front left and front right out of my speakers using the spdif output on my Terratec Aureon. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers

Tom

Jo21
November 21st, 2008, 09:12 AM
i have the same problem

i get front right from left (green and blue ports)

but not rear right/rear left (pink)

on the test i do, but not on the media players.